Apprentice Explorer
OldNat

Re: compatibility with linux Desktop

**bleep** forum threw away my post, so here again.

I assume TomTom is blackmailed/pressed by MS and Apple not to build a Linux inerface, to keep those two systems up against the growing free Linux community.

Someone should try to port the MACOS version (that is also a FREE unixderivate you pay for!).

TomTomHome with WINE still cannot connect to both the TomTomServer and the device simultaneously.

I did not try the MyTomTom software, for I do not have a new box (and I definitely won't buy any from them until they piss away from Linx which they live from!)

Nat

Message 31 of 140 (2,161 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
Vincent-37

I also love to see it working on Linux.

Something that hasn't been notice yet is that it shouldn't be very difficult, because "The user interface of TomTom HOME is written in XUL and JavaScript." [1], which is the cross-plateform technologie created by Mozilla which allows their application (such as Firefox or Thunderbird) to run on Windows, Mac and... Linux!

[1] http://create.tomtom.com/developers/extensions.html

So Please; TomTom, go to a native Linux support!

Message 32 of 140 (2,145 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
Donia

Tomtom and Linux

Hello,

I can see there are a few posts on this subject, but I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a sat nav other than Tomtom that is compatable with Linux?  I want to buy one for my strictly Linux boyfriend, but am pretty clueless when it comes to sat nav devices..... I notice Tomtom still haven't bothere to set this up - I have just tried to update my old Tomtom, but can't as I'm a Linux user.....

Message 33 of 140 (1,956 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
olygoalie

Having just migrated to Ubuntu from XP and now a complete Linux convert, I am very disappointed that there is no Ubuntu interface.  Wake up TomTom.  Open source is the wave of the future.

Message 34 of 140 (2,067 Views)
Please use plain text.
Stefan
Kudos: 1,040
Solutions: 222

[ Edited ]

olygoalie wrote:

Having just migrated to Ubuntu from XP and now a complete Linux convert, I am very disappointed that there is no Ubuntu interface.  Wake up TomTom.  Open source is the wave of the future.

You can use a program 'Wine' to run TomTom Home, myTomTom on Ubuntu. Haven't used the program before so i'm unaware how it works. The Wine program doesn't support USB yet so its not possible to detect the TomTom device with at the moment. Probably future releases include the capability to support USB ports.

More information about 'Wine' can be found on the following website:

http://www.winehq.org/download/ubuntu

Its a free program, you can run all Windows applications without having a windows operating system.

TomTom Latest News - YouTube <> TomTom KeyNote Presentation 2013 - YouTube

Quick Travel Buttons

Navigation System - TomTom GO 500 (2013)
Driving with TomTom ~ Service and Comfort is our secret ~

NavKit

LifeTime Traffic (Smartphone)
LifeTime Maps (Europe)

MyDrive Connect Support Application
TomTom Discussions - User Agreement

Signature originally created by Stefan

Message 35 of 140 (2,060 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
Vincent-37

[ Edited ]

Hi Stephan,

Does this answer means that you don't have any plan to support Linux and that we should wait that other community improved their product (ie: "Wine" support USB)?

If so, then I am quite surprise because:

1 - TomTom run Linux in its hardware, so it would be great if it also support it for its software, as a sort of "thanks" to the Linux community.

2 - TomTomHome is build on a XUL application (like Firefox or Thunderbird for instance), which is well known to be cross-plateform.

Message 36 of 140 (2,048 Views)
Please use plain text.
Exalted Navigator
Exalted Navigator
Kex

Vincent-37, Stefan doesn't work for TomTom, he's a TomTom user like you and I, and he knows no more about TomTom's plans for Linux than you or I do.

However, to the best of my knowledge, TomTom Home will not work in Wine. I don't know about MyTomTom, but I would suspect it doesn't work either (I don't use Wine anyway).

In the meantime, one thing you can do with Linux is to check your MyTomTom account, to see whether or not there are updates waiting for the newer generation devices that update with MyTomTom, but you'll still have to dual boot with Windows to download and apply the updates.

______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ _____ ______ ______
TomTom XL 340S LIVE & XL 340TM (RDS-TMC) & GO LIVE 2535M - in daily L.A. Traffic
Message 37 of 140 (2,045 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
roland69

i am another ubuntu-user who'd be glad if big companies were more up to linux. i use linux since 6 years. ever since I hate to be forced to use windows...

best regards

Message 38 of 140 (2,039 Views)
Please use plain text.
Stefan
Kudos: 1,040
Solutions: 222

Vincent-37 wrote:

Hi Stephan,

Does this answer means that you don't have any plan to support Linux and that we should wait that other community improved their product (ie: "Wine" support USB)?

I so, then I am quite surprise because:

1 - TomTom run Linux in its hardware, so it would be great if it also support it for its software, as a sort of "thanks" to the Linux community.

2 - TomTomHome is build on a XUL application (like Firefox or Thunderbird for instance), which is well known to be cross-plateform.

As Kex explained, i'm not working for TomTom and also not working for the company that develops the 'Whine' emulator.

I've discovered something just recently on the internet to manage TomTom device on Linux. According to the user handy on the following website: http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1624117.html

'At last, a light at the end of the tunnel...
You should try http://pytomtom.tuxfamily.org
Still in version 0.5, but at least, it can recognize a TomTom device connected to the usb port, and do some actions as GpsQuickFix, Backup and restore, and handle POI.
Download the pyTomTom.tar.gz file (the .deb didn't install in my machine), and extract it's folder. Connect the TT device; go to the folder extracted and execute pytomtom.sh

This is a long lasting, but promissing begin. Cheers, and Merry Christmas!

Jorge

just a correction, yes, the .deb installed using dpkg
$ sudo dpkg -i pyTomTom.deb

It shows in the Accessories
Cheers'

~ A download hyperlink is available at the top of the website.

TomTom Latest News - YouTube <> TomTom KeyNote Presentation 2013 - YouTube

Quick Travel Buttons

Navigation System - TomTom GO 500 (2013)
Driving with TomTom ~ Service and Comfort is our secret ~

NavKit

LifeTime Traffic (Smartphone)
LifeTime Maps (Europe)

MyDrive Connect Support Application
TomTom Discussions - User Agreement

Signature originally created by Stefan

Message 39 of 140 (2,027 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
moz1959

Unfortunately, PyTom still can't offer the ability to update maps or firmware.

TomTom has the lockdown on those.

It really cheeses me off that I receive offers to buy map updates at "reduced prices" but that it is not possible to do so without TomTom Home on Windows or MAC.

Until TomTom come to the party with a linux capable version of TomTom Home, I will keep voting with my wallet and purchasing nothing from TomTom.

Morrie.

Message 40 of 140 (1,982 Views)
Please use plain text.