Novice Explorer
vflaube

Re: compatibility with linux Desktop

Another vote for Linux-Desktop compatibility.

I only buy devices compatible with Linux-Desktop.

Message 11 of 132 (3,617 Views)
Please use plain text.
DRB
Novice Explorer
DRB

Here's another vote for Linux desktop software.

I bought a TomTom in preference to other GPSs because it runs Linux., so it's a disappointment to discover that to use it I have to run Windows. 

Fortunately I retained Windows boot on my Linux laptop so I can do that, but it's a real pain.  Now TomTom home will be something that I use only infrequently, and usually only when I also want to run iTunes (similar problem there).

Message 12 of 132 (3,591 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
exmilitary

A light at the end of the tunnel?

http://pytomtom.tuxfamily.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Just about to check it out more personally. YMMV

Message 13 of 132 (3,569 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
moz1959

[ Edited ]

My pet peeve is that when I make such requests to TomTom, I invariably get responses along the lines of:

"Thank you for your feedback regarding our Linux Support. I'm sorry you're so disappointed, currently we have not made our software compatible with this operating system.

At TomTom we take all customer comments, feedback and suggestions seriously and therefore we have passed your comments on to our 2nd Line Team, Product Management and Marketing Team.

With Kind Regards

The TomTom Customer Care Team"

Unfortunately, this seems to be a pseudonym for a mythical black hole(s) into which such questions disappear, never to be seen again.

I have never received any kind of feedback from these mythical teams.

TomTom seem only too happy to ride upon the backs of the work done by the linux development community, without ever bothering to respond in kind.

Am I the only one who remembers that when Microsoft chose to sue TomTom over the FAT32 Extended filenames issue, which is a kludge created by Microsoft to allow a file to be addressed by either it's long filename, or via an 8.3 format filename where the last two of the 8 characters were replaced with a ~ followed by a digit. Andrew Tridgel (The original author of Samba) immediately created a patch which allowed for either a long, or a short name, but dropped the dual naming component so that Microsoft's patent was not infringed. TomTom ended up paying Microsoft blood money for a license to use the patented kludge. The patent is a trivial equivalent to the unix/linux/BSD symbolic link, and should never have been granted patent protection. The point is that when threatened, the linux/open source community immediately stepped up to the plate to help protect TomTom, but they still don't bother building a TomTom Home package for linux.

Please keep this thread alive and active so that TomTom may finally get off their duffs and do the right thing.

Morrie.

Message 14 of 132 (3,553 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
Wossname

[ Edited ]

I've asked TomTom support for a Linux/Wine compatible version of Home several times and have had the same reponse as everyone else.  Now my TomTom is a lot out of date - does anyone know of an alternative SatNav device that does update from Linux?

I'm going to give that Python program a try and see what it can do, and depending on the results I might go shopping for a new SatNav.  Or just buy a map.

UPDATE:

I've downloaded and installed pytomtom and am glad to report it works 100% with my GO520.  However, it only provides GPSFix, Device Backup/Restore and a means of loading POI.  It DOES NOT provide any other update (software, map or map share), which is to be expected.

Message 15 of 132 (3,543 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
moz1959

The bigest problem is that you need tot TomTom Home client to even be able to download the maps, making it a "Catch-22" situation. You are damned no matter which way you go.

TomTom need to realise that with things like this that people  WILL vote with their wallets.

From memory, the Garmin is built on top of WINCE or a variant of Microsoft's crippled version of Windows, and as TomTom and Garmin are the primary suppliers of motorcycle GPS units, they think that they can safely ignore us.

Android based phones these days often have GPS built-in, so there is now more competition for the punters hard earned.

the only thing I can say with any certainty is that TomTom will not be seeing any more of my money until I can interact using purely linux tools.

Message 16 of 132 (3,526 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
exmilitary

indeed. I was happy with Pytomtom until I discovered it only does half of what is needed. I guess TT likes to USE Linux, but contradicts themselves but shutting out the Linux user.

Bye TomTom, off to spend my money on Android

Message 17 of 132 (3,515 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
moz1959

Even with Android, please do your research first.

Many android devices are far more sensitive to GPS signal strength issues, and many of the default offerings will show you where you are, but not offer route planning, voice prompting etc. Battery life on Android devices can also be a real issue when you start turning on all of the bells and whistles. Another area to be careful of is that many manufacturers of android devices will happily sell you the device, but will not ever bother to provide updated firmware as new versions of the Android operating system come out. Samsung is one such vendor, where when I purchased the device, Android 1.6 had just been released, and the phone was running 1.5. I thought I would see an update in due course, only to have Samsung announce that they would not be providing any updates.

Message 18 of 132 (3,500 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
Wossname

I think I've found a sort of solution work around - not one I like or consider permanent but...

You can download a Windows 7 ISO for free (just type Windows 7 ISO into Google) - this isn't illegal as you still need to pay for a licence (which M$ will then revoke for some stupid reason so don't waste your money).  You'll need one of the x86 ones, even though you're running 64 bit Linux, I've gone for Home Premium.  Then get the new version of VirtualBox (apt-get install virtualbox-4.0) and create yourself a Windows 7 virtual machine with the downloaded ISO.  You've got 30 days to trial this OS before it starts whinging about licences, and even then you can just ignore it and carry on using it.

Download and install the VBox extensions pack from Oracle (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/virtualbox/downloads/index.html), install TomTom Home, set yourself up as a member of the vboxusers group and add the TomTom to VBox as a USB device and all should work - just really really (really) slowly.  I had to log out and back in again before the group change took effect and I've found I need to have the VM running before connecting the TomTom.

So not a M$ free solution, but its only cost me time - and I wasn't doing anything else.

Message 19 of 132 (3,475 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
cheesekiller

a petition that many of you probably haven't seen even though it has a decent number of signatures

http://www.petitiononline.com/tomlinux/

anyway i wanted to buy tomtoms for my entire family (we all use ubuntu) but it looks like we will just all keep using our phones and i won't waste my money on a product that won't function

Message 20 of 132 (3,398 Views)
Please use plain text.