New Traveler
salthouse

Windows 7 64 bit and Tom Tom Home 2.8

When I went into Tom Tom Home 2.7 it said that I had an update.  Every time it goes to install the update, it still says that I have an update to install.  When I go into Control Panel, it says that I have 2.8 installed. 

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 10 (8,313 Views)
Please use plain text.
Revered Voyager
Revered Voyager
mvl

Re: Windows 7 64 bit and Tom Tom Home 2.8

[ Edited ]

Try installing (or reinstalling) MS dotnet 4.0 from the link below.  Then see if the problem resolves itself.

http://www.microsoft.com/net/

mvl

----------------------------------------------------------------

I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. I am a Tomtom customer, not an employee.
Message 2 of 10 (8,255 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
SamMaverick

Here is the "work around" to upload the TomTom HOME software on the Windows based 64 bit operating systems.

It is VERY IMPORTANT a person do the steps in the EXACT sequence shown here, otherwise the program will not work properly.

1st = Make sure all TomTom applications / programs have been removed from the computer and that you Restart the computer after the programs have been removed.

2nd = After the computer restarts, turn off ALL programs and applications.

3rd = Download / SAVE (Do NOT RUN) the appropriate TomTom Home Application to your desktop.

4th = Right click on the TomTom Home Application on your desktop and select "Run As Administrator." This will launch the program and start the install process.

5th = When the box displays where your program will be saved on your computer, change the url address to:
c:\progra~2\tomtomhome

(Make sure you spell the URL exactly as it appears here)

Then continue the application / installation process as you normally would.

Sam Maverick
Message 3 of 10 (8,036 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
hammor

Thanks a bunch for the information as to install by changing the address.  It worked perfect for me and so far so good.

I am running windows 7 64 bit, and will try working with linux in a while.

Message 4 of 10 (7,182 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
SamMaverick

I am glad the work around worked for you.

Sam Maverick
Message 5 of 10 (7,154 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
Bressler

Sorry to be late to this discussion, but I just loaded HOME onto my new win7 64 bit system. When it starts, it gives an error message which I think means it can not create a TomTom directory in MyDocs ( a permissions issue??) - even if I launch the application as administrator.  I can still control the Navigation device from the PC, but I can not update anything. I followed SamMaverick's instructions, the the resulting operation is always the same.

I would like to avoid compatibility mode if possibe - anyone else found a work around?

Message 6 of 10 (6,899 Views)
Please use plain text.
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

Try running Home in XP compatible mode.

-------------------------------------------
I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. .....I am not a TomTom employee.
Message 7 of 10 (6,891 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
waterlow101

Sorry but it didn't work when I tried it.

My old PC running windows 7, 32 bit and the TomTom 820 connected perfectly. 

The new computer running windows 7, 64 bit and the TomTom won't connect. I believe there is a bug in the driver.

I have now wasted hours and hours of my time trying to resolve it. TomTom need to resolve the problem with the 64 bit system and until that happens TomTom need to admit that it is a known problem so at least 64 bit users don't wasteeven more time trying to resolve it each time.

Unless TomTom have a way of giving me - and every 64 bit users - back the time we have already wasted on this please stop covering it up and admit there is a compatibility issue with the 64 bit system.

Message 8 of 10 (4,426 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
pdw1

[ Edited ]

That worked for me, many thanks Sam ! I have a separate folder for my downloads and I ran the application as administrator from there and it worked a treat ! Nice 1 !! I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Version 6.1 (Build 7601, service pack 1) and I'm running TomTom Home version 2.9.2.2837, changing the URL seems to have done the trick !

Message 9 of 10 (2,132 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
waterlow101

[ Edited ]
Sam's work-around works! Tried it with Tom Tom Home 2 but it didn't work. Tried again but this time with Tom Tom 3, following the instructions EXACTLY and it works! Great. Thanks.
Message 10 of 10 (2,127 Views)
Please use plain text.