Master Traveler
JeremyW
Accepted Solution

Via Live 125 - UK Map erased after update of Europe map

I bought my Via 125 last June with both UK and Europe maps. This week I received a mesage advising me that my Europe map was ready for an update. I paid the price and set about downloading. The first download failed after a couple of hours due to a dropped connection (a problem in rural areas) but the second download succeeded.

When I next used my Via I found the Europe map but the UK map had disappeared, having apparently been erased. With MyTomTom there is no possibility of making a backp before updating. In addition MyTomTom only seems to respond to what it finds on the sat-nav and seems to have no record of my original configuration. I therefore seem to have no means of retrieving my UK map and, presumably, will be forced to buy a new one.

Has anyone else had this problem and have they found a solution, apart from buying a new map? Has TT customer services been of any help?

Message 1 of 7 (2,247 Views)
Please use plain text.
Lupus1
Topics: 21
Kudos: 1,595
Solutions: 320

Re: Via Live 125 - UK Map erased after update of Europe map

Hi,

first of all, if you indeed had a UK and a Europe map installed on your device previously and now the UK map isn't available any more it'll have been removed by the update and should have been added to your account for later reinstallation.

However if you've got the Europe map I don't know why you'd like to have the UK map as well as the UK map is included in the Europe map. Also since the update to Navcore 11.030 you're able to use microSDHC cards with up to 32GB so there really is no reason to keep the UK map if you've got a Europe map.

Regards

Lars.

TT XL•S LIVE IQ Routes Edition (Text-to-Speech)
map/Europe_North 875.3613
TT Start 60
map/Europe 910.4964
TT GO 6000
map/Europe 926.5515

TT Runner Cardio watch

TT Home 2.9.7.3256
MyDrive Connect 3.3.0.1317
MySports Connect 1.3.9
Win8 64bit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm no TT employee but just a customer trying to help
Message 2 of 7 (2,246 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt
Kudos: 2,291
Solutions: 537

Actually it is even better to have it all in one map, as you "need" to purchase only one map update service, not two.

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Report map errors (MSR Tool - link)
Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE
How to contact TomTom's Customer Services (link)
TomTom's Customer Services numbers (thx Niall) (link)
How to soft reset your device (link)

I am NOT a TomTom employee, just a user like others.
Message 3 of 7 (2,235 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Traveler
JeremyW

Hi Lars,

Many thanks for such a quick response.

Although the UK is included in the Europe map, this only has major roads. I live in a rural area surrounded by small lanes, none of which are shown on the map, which means driving with my Via now is more like navigating at sea. I therefore need the full Uk map with all its details.

There does seem to be a SDHC slot on the Via but I can't see anything on MyTomTom which allows me to use it. All I want is my old UK map restored.

Regards,

Jeremy

Message 4 of 7 (2,231 Views)
Please use plain text.
Lupus1

Hi Jeremy,

the Europe map should include the same details as the UK map but I'll ask some of my contacts again to verify.

Concerning the microSDHC slot: You'll need to have Navcore application version 11.030 or 11.031 installed on your device. Then purchase a microSD or microSDHC card being at least a Class6 card. Insert that card into the slot and when turning the device on the next time the card will be formatted to the correct format. Afterwards content will be installed to the microSD card automatically if there's not enough capacity left on the internal memory.

Regards

Lars.

TT Start 60
map/Europe 910.4964
TT GO 6000
map/Europe 926.5515

TT Runner Cardio watch

TT Home 2.9.7.3256
MySports Connect 1.3.9
Win8 64bit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 5 of 7 (2,217 Views)
Please use plain text.
Lupus1

Hi Jeremy,

I've got some further information. With the current maps the Europe map contains all information the UK map contains. The regional maps have been completely implemented in the continental ones.

Did you already check while having a satellite lock? Without satellite lock the device would show your position as somewhere but not at your current location.

You could try to plan a route to anywhere in the UK to check whether the coverage is available again.

Regards

Lars.

TT Start 60
map/Europe 910.4964
TT GO 6000
map/Europe 926.5515

TT Runner Cardio watch

TT Home 2.9.7.3256
MySports Connect 1.3.9
Win8 64bit

Message 6 of 7 (2,186 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Traveler
JeremyW

Hi Lars,

Thanks again for pursuing this. I think I may have to eat humble pie. You are right, the new Europe map does contain complete information for the UK. I was partly led astray by the fact that I also have an ancient TravelPilot system which has separate discs for the UK and Europe, with the latter retsricted to major roads only. However, I was also misled by the fact that when I switched my Via on after downloading the new map, all I could see was the cursor in the middle of a field. When I went for a test drive it only showed the main roads so if I wanted to turn off, I had to turn "into the void". Since then, by zooming in I have managed to find all the missing side roads.

Regards,

Jeremy

Message 7 of 7 (2,138 Views)
Please use plain text.