New Traveler
emc7004
Accepted Solution

US & Canada Map download

Dear members of the forum,

I purchased the US & Canada Map update yesterday. The download takes forever with multiple error messages. It literally takes 9 hours to download and is still in the process of coping to hard disk.

Does anyone encounter the same situation? Am I the only one being annoyed by this download?

Message 1 of 7 (4,127 Views)
Please use plain text.
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

Re: US & Canada Map download

What model? What maps? What type of internet connection? (Don't use a wireless connection!)

-------------------------------------------
I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. .....I am not a TomTom employee.
Message 2 of 7 (4,120 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
Euby

[ Edited ]

I too am having a problem with that map.  I recently got a TomTom XL 330 S (Refurbished) as an early Xmas present.  I purchased the USA & Canada map and when I tried to install it said that I didn't have enough memory.  So I backed up and copied files to my computer, then deleted what I could.  The Map shows the size as being 883.2 MB and I got my TomTom to where it has 947.8MB of free space.  However, when I try to install the map it tells me "There is not enough free space on your device (-3.9 GB)"  It also has a report incident ID of 73316715. 

edit:  I am using a standard internet connection (not wireless).

Message 3 of 7 (4,113 Views)
Please use plain text.
Lupus1
Topics: 21
Kudos: 1,606
Solutions: 320

Hi Euby,

that sounds very much like a broken download file if it isn't possible to install. But please check the following things first:

Perform a reset (no settings will be lost) of your device. Just press and hold the power button until you hear the drum roll (approx. 15 seconds).

If that didn't help please create a backup first if you haven't done so previous to starting the download.

How to create a backup of your device (hyperlink)

Now go to your personal documents folder -> TomTom folder -> HOME folder -> downloads folder -> complete folder -> map folder. You should find your map in another folder that should be called the same as your map. Just save that folder to a different location on your hard drive and afterwards delete this folder. Now connect your device to your computer and open TT Home. Check if you've got a map available for download. You should find it when going to the update my device menu. Download and install this map.

To make sure the download works check the following items:

• Make sure the TT Home application is allowed to fully access the internet and isn't blocked by any antivirus or firewall software.
  • Make sure you're logged in to your account and have your device connected.
  • Make sure neither your device nor your computer enters any kind of power saving modus during the complete download/installation process.

Please keep us up to date if the above helped. If you get your device working again don't forget to create another backup.

Regards

Lars.

TT XL•S LIVE IQ Routes Edition (Text-to-Speech)
map/Europe_North 875.3613
TT Start 60
map/Europe 910.4964
TT GO 6000
map/Europe 926.5515

TT Runner Cardio watch

TT Home 2.9.7.3256
MyDrive Connect 3.3.0.1317
MySports Connect 1.3.9
Win8 64bit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm no TT employee but just a customer trying to help
Message 4 of 7 (4,107 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
CCSS

I am also experiencing problems downloading the USA/Canada map. Inital download time came up as 8 hours. After downloading for 4 hours the service just timed out. Have tried this 3 times and am getting the same results. Model is XL350.M with a wired internet connection (100Mbps) using IPv4 connectivity. Only message displayed in the download window was "Busy reorganising files" - not the exact text, but something along those lines.

Message 5 of 7 (4,101 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
Euby

I was able to succesfully download the map.  However the install got the error "Error writing file E:\USA_and_Canada\faces.dat" when it was nearly complete.

Please help.

Message 6 of 7 (4,073 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
Euby

I deleted the map and tried again.  It installed then without errors.  Thanks for your help! :smileyhappy:

Message 7 of 7 (4,057 Views)
Please use plain text.