Prominent Wayfarer
moz1959

TomTom Home for linux

When I originally purchased my TomTom Rider 2, it was based on two features. Feature 1: Designed for motorcycle use. Feature 2: Based on linux.

Unfortunately, TomTom Home is not so enlightened, and does not support linux!

I choose to use linux exclusively (as I trust Microsoft Windows about as far as I can throw Redmond Washington) and am therefore unable to maintain my TomTom Rider 2 with new maps etc.

Windows is certainly the low hanging fruit for TomTom's target audience, but the linux using community is growing steadily.

It's a bit of a slap in the face for the linux community of develpers that provide the very backbone upon which TomTom are making their money, while receiving no consideration in return by way of native linx support.

Please join me in raising your voices in support of the development for a native linux version of TomTom Home.

Then maybe TomTom management might take notce that the requirement is there, and that Windows (and to some degree Apple OS/X) is not the only operating system they should support.

Regards,

Moz1959

Message 1 of 134 (14,286 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
peterm34uk

Re: TomTom Home for linux

Hear, hear!

I have mainly succeded in ditching Windoze, but unfortunately still need it to run TomTom Home. Home runs under Wine, but can't communicate with my XL, as it has no USB support (yet). So I run WinXP in a Virtual machine under VirtualBox, just so that I can update my TomTom.

So come on, TomTom, let's have a native Linux version of Home.

Peter

Message 2 of 134 (14,216 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
Wossname

[ Edited ]

Some people claim that the latest version of VirtualBox does support USB devices properly - I've not tried it myself.

You may also be interested in this: http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/Map-installation/compatibility-with-linux-Desktop/m-p/14649/highlig...

Message 3 of 134 (14,079 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
moz1959

Wossname wrote:

Some people claim that the latest version of VirtualBox does support USB devices properly - I've not tried it myself.

You may also be interested in this: http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/Map-installation/compatibility-with-linux-Desktop/m-p/14649/highlig...

You will find that I am the most recent poster in that thread too.

VirtualBox is not a solution, it is only a means of running Windows in a virtual machine, and still requires payment of the Microsoft tax. I have absolutely no desire at all to let Windows run on my PC at all. Nor should I need to, as the TomTom actually runs on a linux kernel, so the inability to correctly install maps etc. under linux is purely at TomTom's choice.

They obviously have people with the necessary linux and cross-platform skills to create the necessary tools, they just choose not to do so.

Message 4 of 134 (14,065 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
Wossname

I was referring to the posting, not the thread.

Agree with you re: M$ tax - don't see why I should pay for an OS I'm never going to use otherwise just to update the maps on my device.

Message 5 of 134 (14,054 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
moz1959

Sorry about that. When I saw my own post after following your link, I made the (wrong) assumption that you were referring to the thread, not pyTomTom.

Unfortunately, pyTomTom still doesn't cover the installation of new maps, for which TomTom Home is the only solution that TomTom choose to offer.

Message 6 of 134 (14,039 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
cheesekiller

a petition that many of you probably haven't seen even though it has a decent number of signatures

http://www.petitiononline.com/tomlinux/

Message 7 of 134 (13,965 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
moz1959

cheesekiller wrote:

a petition that many of you probably haven't seen even though it has a decent number of signatures

http://www.petitiononline.com/tomlinux/

I had already signed it and previously pointed out its existence to TomTom at the time.

Needless to say, there was never any kind of response from TomTom to acknowledge that they in any way cared or were at all interested in taking any action,

Message 8 of 134 (13,944 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
Wossname

Signed the petition months ago.  Got the expected response.

Does anyone from TomTom read this forum?

Message 9 of 134 (13,939 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Explorer
MarcoVanBeek

Just signed the petition. 2886 to date. Surely if they can do a Mac version, why not a Linux version? Even unsupported would be better than nothing. There is an moral issue here. How can they use Linux code in their hardware and not support Linux as a client. If they didn't have the expertise already in house they might have a valid excuse, but come on, if you use GPL code without paying for it, at least help the rest of us use it as well. Otherwise we just end up in the same circular argument of people not being able to use desktop Linux because the software doesn't exist, and the software doesn't exist because people don't use desktop Linux.

"I'm sorry sir, we don't support Linux. No call for it. You've the 3000th peorson I told that to today....."

Message 10 of 134 (13,827 Views)
Please use plain text.