Neophyte Traveler
Hiawatha

There is not enough free space on your device to add the item.

I received this error message in TomTom Home. Yesterday, I spent an hour on the phone with a support person who gave me instructions on how to download the Western & Central Europe map (more than 2 GB) to my XL 340M device. After following her instructions for backing up and then deleting my North America maps and any other non-essential files to make room for this monster sized file, and after 13 hours of downloading, I got the above message for "Step 4 Install to Hard disk." The complete error message say, "There is not enough free space on your device to add the item. You need to remove: 504.1 Mb." Of course, today is Sunday and there is no support available until tomorrow. I need to get far enough along in this process to backup the Europe map to my computer's hard drive without having to have to lose the 13 hours of downloaded information. Has anyone else encountered this situation and found a way to resolve it without deleting essential files?
Message 1 of 18 (6,013 Views)
Please use plain text.
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

Re: There is not enough free space on your device to add the item.

Your Western_and_Central_Europe is already on your computer. You'll find it in compressed form here:

C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\

BUT

If indeed that's the map downloaded, there is NO way it will ever install on that unit. It's greater than 2 gigs and that unit doesn't have a sdhc slot to handle that and internal is only 2 gigs in total.

You should never have gotten that map but, rather, gotten a zoned map which just includes some European countries in each zone.

Are you sure the map you got was NOT Europe_West? That would be a zoned map and should fit on your unit.

-------------------------------------------
I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. .....I am not a TomTom employee.
Message 2 of 18 (5,988 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
Rocklover91

I have this exact same problem. I am from the united states, and i dont want any other countries map. What do I do ? I need this gps by tomorrow.

Message 3 of 18 (5,972 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
payasoru

I am having a very similar problem - device registers 'no maps found' TomTom HOME says 'insufficient space on device, etc - and so I followed the path you set out. All that is in my 'maps' folder is 'fuel prices, Europe'. In the meantime I can neither use my XL IQ Routes, nor fix it. Any further suggestions?

Message 4 of 18 (5,950 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
Hiawatha

Rocklover,

i don't know if I am in time to help you, but I got my TomTom to work.  You say that you do not want nay other country's maps which confuses me as to what is the problem.  Just what is it that you are trying to do?

Message 5 of 18 (5,882 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
Hiawatha

What device do you own?  What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Message 6 of 18 (5,880 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Traveler
repo

I do not believe that their is a solution to this problem.  Most of the Tom Tom's have limited memory and since the updated maps are generally going to be larger we are all screwed!  My very first Tom Tom had a memory card but then they all went to hard drives which I believe was a major mistake since it dosen't leave room for memory growth.

Message 7 of 18 (5,818 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
talton74801

I didnt back up my gps before i downloaded the update and map so any one got any ideals for me.  anyway you can just start from scratch

Message 8 of 18 (5,759 Views)
Please use plain text.
mfb
New Traveler
mfb

i share the same problems. Not enough space to download the central europe maps, no way to free more after removing voices in several languages and when I open my tomtom, it says there are no maps and I can go no further as in finding a menu to make a hard reset. I've spent hours on this and it's no consolation to see others have too without finding a solution. Do I buy another gps system and toss this one? No, barely used but useless!

I can neither go forward nor backward literally!

Message 9 of 18 (5,488 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
annecambridge

So I really don't have enough space. How do I delete maps that I have already installed?

Message 10 of 18 (3,827 Views)
Please use plain text.