Outstanding Wayfarer
surveyor860

The importance of making a Back Up

Hi All

I have been reading many posts and have concluded that some of you are not making a Back Up of your device in case of disaster. There are two ways of doing this and I strongly recommend that you do both.

1. Make a back up using TomTom Home or My TomTom as appropriate. Always do this before updating your map. I personally do this before doing ANY update. Then if there is a problem I can always "rewind" the clock and get back to a godd configuration.

2. Using Windows Explorer find your TomTom device as a Drive. Copy the entire contents of this Drive to a new location on your computer. Replace this back up BEFORE you do any major changes. This way if disaster strikes you can always copy this back to the device using explorer and get going again. You also have the ability to restore individual files (such as <mapsettings.cfg> or phone settings if you should need to.

I have not tried doing this using proprietary back up software or windows back up so I cannot say if that would work. I might give it a go!

If you do make a back up, please forgive the lecture!

Regards

Surveyor860

The importance of a back up can never be under estimated. If you back up - you can recover!
Message 1 of 7 (1,569 Views)
Please use plain text.
Community Manager
Ditte

Re: The importance of making a Back Up

Surveyor certainly has a point. It's important to backup your content in HOME, however please note that it is not possible to take a backup in MyTomTom.

Thank you for this excellent post, Surveyor :smileyhappy:

-Ditte

Need help with your TomTom device?
Add details about the TomTom device to your post: Device name, Application- and Map version.
Message 2 of 7 (1,548 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Traveler
bdeverteuil

I would think that TomTom Home should force (or at least request) a back-up when you are making certain changes like swapping maps.  It's very disappointing to find out that all my favorites are lost with a map swap. I'm not sure I can even get my original map back yet.

Message 3 of 7 (1,520 Views)
Please use plain text.
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

See response to your other post. When you copy back the original map, your favourites will be included.

-------------------------------------------
I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. .....I am not a TomTom employee.
Message 4 of 7 (1,518 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
Sachmana

I agree, I think a request would be better than forcing you to make a backup, but it's a good reminder otherwise I am usually in such a ruch that I forget to back it up.

Message 5 of 7 (1,513 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
unhappy

You need to tell your customer service that you cannot back up on my tomtom as they are telling customers you can see message from customer service. By the way live services are still not working in south Wales !!!!!!!!!!!!!  All customer service tell me to do is reset which is not the answer 

Dear Steve,

The reference number for your query is 110816-002976.

I am really sorry for the delay in response, please accept my apologies. We appreciate your time and patience.

I understand that your device is taking too long to connect to the live services, to resolve this issue I would suggest you to fully charge your device and then test after how long it takes to get live services.

If the problem persists, please perform a factory + soft reset.

The instructions below will show you how to perform a factory reset on your device. As you will lose any favourites in doing this, the steps below will save your favourites to your computer and restore them to the device after the reset.

To save your favourites, your device needs to be on application version 10.111 or higher. Step 1 below will ensure you download any application updates. 

If you have not yet downloaded MyTomTom, do so from the following link and then continue with the steps below: 
http://www.tomtom.com/getstarted

STEP 1 - Update the application version on the device

•Click on the green MyTomTom button in the top right corner of tomtom.com and log in
•Connect your device to the computer
•Click on the MyTomTom button again and click on Check for New Items
•If there is an update for ‘Navigator’ click on Install

You may be asked to log in again. If there is no update, continue with the steps below.

STEP 2 - Saving your favourites to the computer

•Click on the TomTom logo on the task bar (Windows) or the menu bar (Mac)
•Click on Add Community Content
•A website will open up with various options. Next to ‘Favourites.ov2’ click on the button called Copy to Computer
•Save the file to your desktop

STEP 3 - Factory reset your device

•Disconnect the device from the computer
•When the device loads, tap on the screen to bring up the menu
•Tap on Settings
•Tap on Reset factory settings
•The device will restart and go through the original settings again. Once it displays the language selection screen, hold down the power button until you hear the start up drums
• You can now enter your required device preferences

STEP 4 - Restoring your favourites to your device

•Connect your device to the computer
•Click on the TomTom logo on the task bar (Windows) or the menu bar (Mac)
•Click on Add Community Content
•A website will open up with various options (as you saw in Step 2). Next to ‘Favourites.ov2’ click on the button called Browse
•Navigate to your desktop where you saved the file in Step2 and click on Open

I would now suggest you to soft reset your device by following the steps on the link below: www.tomtom.com/6965

Message 6 of 7 (1,490 Views)
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Wayfarer
surveyor860

I have now tried doing a backup using Acronis True Image Home 2012. It works a treat and is nice and quick. As Acronis is fully compatible with Windows Backup I imagine Windows Back Up will work just as well. In effect you are backing up which ever drive your TomTom is in windows explorer.
Regards

Surveyor860

The importance of a back up can never be under estimated. If you back up - you can recover!
Message 7 of 7 (1,256 Views)
Please use plain text.