Neophyte Traveler
Brello

Start 25 update = no maps

i have had my start 25 for about a year and a half, it said i need to update my maps so i tried today... the result is now i have a completely unusable start 25 as it keeps saying "no maps found" .. i have turned off all firewalls and anti virus stuff on my comp .. im lost as to how to factory reset the bloody thing and cannot find a number to call for the uk ?  i am stupid enough NOT to have backed up the device ( call me anything as long as you can offer a solution) and it is now about as useful as a dead mouse ...  can i reset it?  it said originally i had used 3gb of space and had only about 500mb left .. the update said about 35mins then stops about 10mins from the end saying something went wrong...grrr ...  it now says no maps found please insert a memory card with maps on it??? wtf? theres no slot for one... and yes it says start 25 connected on my account page so theres no confusion as to what device type is there...   so.. i await lost and stranded in a far off land unable to return to civilisation until its sorted :smileysad: 

Message 1 of 2 (1,780 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt
Kudos: 2,292
Solutions: 537

Re: Start 25 update = no maps

You can't make backup of these devices. There is a microSD slot, just on the back, visible from above, close to the USB port. Try these:

Try to keep the device connected to the PC, and press the ON button, all the way to the drum roll. Only release the button when you hear the drums, whatever happens. Try to update again. Other than that, the ones below:

*Always make sure that you are logged in with the correct account to the MyTomTom site AND application*

- Try to disable your antivirus and firewall, use Firefox (or Opera, or Google Chrome), and make sure that your computer is not going into stand-by or similar.
- Clear the cache before each update attempt. Also could do a soft reset before and after the update.
- Make sure you have the latest Adobe Flash Player and Java installed.
- Make sure you have all the latest updates and hotfixes/patches to your OS.
- In case the device looks like hung during the update or the counter stopped, just leave it. It will be fine in a few minutes.
- Check your network connections, make sure that the TT's network adapter is enabled
- Try to uninstall and re-install the MyTomTom application
- Try to use a USB port on the mainboard, rather than a USB hub (desktop PC)

- In case it is not working with Firefox, try other browsers (Opera, Google Chrome)

- Any further issue: Try it on another PC, try it with different USB lead...the shorter the better (below steps are Windows specific)
- Whilst the device connected, remove the drivers from the Device Manager (Windows/Control Panel), DELETE the drivers
- Remove the MyTomTom application and run CCLEANER (will remove your history, cookies, etc by default)

If none helped, go for this:

Try this:

1. Hold the ON/OFF button, until it reaches the info screen (black screen, white text)

2. After entering the info screen press the ON/OFF button 3 times quickly (it should be 3 presses within one second)

3. The device restarts and only shows a cogwheel, it just entered in the 'recovery mode'

4. Make sure to connect the TomTom device to the computer (so it can download the 'last known good application' for your device)

5. Wait until you see picture of a TomTom (red x) and a laptop, then switch off the TomTom unit

6. Then reset the device, and it should start up normally

7. Wait 5 minutes

Then you can try this as well, to make sure all up to date:

http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/TomTom-GO-800-1000-2000-Via/SOLUTION-for-the-GPS-SIGNAL-issue/m-p/2...

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Report map errors (MSR Tool - link)
Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE
How to contact TomTom's Customer Services (link)
TomTom's Customer Services numbers (thx Niall) (link)
How to soft reset your device (link)

I am NOT a TomTom employee, just a user like others.
Message 2 of 2 (1,777 Views)
Please use plain text.