Apprentice Explorer
MarZe

Solving update problems with Go Live 1005 (might help for other devices)

Pretty satisfied owner of a Go Live 1005, I was aware of the difficult/messy update procedure via MyTomTom but coped with it as this Nav device is really doing a good job.Until yesterday...

During an update got the "No Map found" message displayed on the screen.Restarting the device/laptop did'nt help, nor a simple reset of the GPS device

I called the helpdesk that provided me with a clear procedure on how to solve it. However , there is a gap between what the procedures state and what the reality is...But I must admit, helpdesk is doing his best to help. But you will need to be aware that sometimes your PC might be an additional source to the trouble generated by the myTomTom very fragile update policy.

I detail herewith what was my experience, knowing that this might not be the right answer for every situation. It worked for me.
PC with Win 7, IE 9
1/ Deactivate antivirus and firewall A MUST
2/ Do not use wifi but rather connect directly to your router via a network cable. Tomtom servers look to be very sensitive to minor connection breaks, even if you don't see them
3/ be sure your internet connection is stable
4/ Disconnect and reconnect your device
5/While On, reinitailise by pressing the button during 30 sec (the drum will sound)
6/ Start myTomTom application
7/ If you use IE, it could be that nothing specific will be displayed on your browser, giving you the impression that everything is fine

and nothing needs to be downloaded. There are issues with IE, use Firefox instead : copy the URL you have in IE into Firefox address bar
8/ You should see in Firefox webpage that the status of your device is changing and there are things to download
9/ check one item to donwload after another . Do not download all items at once
10/After this, it will be time to update your device. In my situation, it started fine but after some minutes, the screen of the TomTom displayed that the connection was broken (even with the network cable !)
11/ I switched GPS off, remove the USB plug and stick the USB plug again.
12/ Close the webpage and close Mytomtom app
13/ if nothing happens, just clear the cache (even if the cache looks to be empty, clear it !)
14/ The connection with your tomtom and the update process should restart
15/ BUT, after a while you might have again a connection break, so this is what I have found (not suggested by Tomtom support) : go to the device manager of windows then under Network Adapter you will see TomTom. if this is disabled, just enable them, if this is already enabled, just disable and re-enable while everything is still connected. The download will resume or restart

After 3 interruptions in the update process, I finally realized that the Antivirus and Firewall restarted themselves after some time and that this could impair the process

So be sure that you disable AV and firewall(including disable the services)!!
Good luck.

Message 1 of 10 (5,428 Views)
Please use plain text.
Staff
Zoë

Re: Solving update problems with Go Live 1005 (might help for other devices)

[ Edited ]

Hi Marze,

Thanks for sharing your experience and advice! Glad it's working well.

Don't hesitate to let us know if you have any further questions or comments!

Thanks,

Zoe

Message 2 of 10 (5,399 Views)
Please use plain text.
Stefan
Kudos: 1,039
Solutions: 222

Thanks for the information.

Its possible to set Firefox as the default browser, then the myTomTom program automaticly uses this browser to download the updates.

TomTom Latest News - YouTube <> TomTom KeyNote Presentation 2013 - YouTube

Quick Travel Buttons

Navigation System - TomTom GO 500 (2013)
Driving with TomTom ~ Service and Comfort is our secret ~

NavKit

LifeTime Traffic (Smartphone)
LifeTime Maps (Europe)

MyDrive Connect Support Application
TomTom Discussions - User Agreement

Signature originally created by Stefan

Message 3 of 10 (5,381 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
transit23

hi marze,tried all that you have done but still no joy,tt screen reads select your map and no map found cant clear or reboot tomtom any more ideas?transit23

Message 4 of 10 (5,334 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
MarZe

You should retry using the procedure I mention, while I again restate that I am not sure this solves every problem. I am not a support guy and not working for TomTom. You must be very sure that your AV and FW are completely stopped. This was the main reason that lead to a failure of the map installation.AV and FW are apparently able to restart themselves if you do not disable the services.

Message 5 of 10 (5,321 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
transit23

hi problem solved..tomtom downloaded complete set of maps as mine had been removed when i updated,transit23

Message 6 of 10 (5,299 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
yamaha

we just took a tomtom 1000 live back to the shop due to update problems where thinking of replacing it with 1005 but it looks like the same problems occure with these with modern tech now a days why dont tomtom get it sorted out  it should be plug in and play ???????????????????

Message 7 of 10 (5,017 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
CALIBRA1

I have a go live 1005 and found that if you are using internet explorer, you will probably experience download problems. I was advised to use firefox as the default browser and have so far received no problems downloading maps or speed cameras ( speed cameras for denmark apart ).:smileyhappy:

Message 8 of 10 (5,013 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
yamaha

firefox did not work for us neither did turning of protection and firewalls 3 hrs later on 3 different laptop we give up you can not fault the live 1000 great sat nav appart from update problems come on tomtom get it sorted out
Message 9 of 10 (5,007 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
CALIBRA1

Hi Yamaha

Were you using a LAN connection or WiFi ? A LAN connection will give you a faster download speed. I use Kaspersky Pure and do not have to turn of virus applications when downloading.

Message 10 of 10 (4,977 Views)
Please use plain text.