Novice Explorer
forbiggs

No maps found! Keeps downloading

I have "My Tomtom" installed on my laptop but when I plug in my Go Live 1535 my GPS says "No maps found." My Go Live box in the lower right corner of my computer says "Connected" and it proceeds to download over and over and over again with no results. The last 2 nights it downloaded about 11 times over a period of about 4 hours, from 0% to 99%, then back to 0% again. Last night a level 2 technician succeeded in totally wiping out my old map so I can't even use my GPS now. I have Windows 7, IE9, and my firewall and antivirus are all turned off. I have uninstalled My tomtom and reinstalled it twice. Nothing. I need it for work tomorrow.

Message 1 of 10 (801 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt
Kudos: 2,390
Solutions: 554

Re: No maps found! Keeps downloading

Try Firefox, chrome or Opera as default browser, and empty the cache in the MyTomTom app. Some more ideas below:

*Always make sure that you are logged in with the correct account to the MyTomTom site AND application*

- Try to disable your antivirus and firewall, use Firefox (or Opera, or Google Chrome), and make sure that your computer is not going into stand-by or similar.
- Clear the cache before each update attempt. Also could do a soft reset before and after the update.
- Make sure you have the latest Adobe Flash Player and Java installed.
- Make sure you have all the latest updates and hotfixes/patches to your OS.
- In case the device looks like hung during the update or the counter stopped, just leave it. It will be fine in a few minutes.
- Check your network connections, make sure that the TT's network adapter is enabled
- Try to uninstall and re-install the MyTomTom application
- Try to use a USB port on the mainboard, rather than a USB hub (desktop PC)

- In case it is not working with Firefox, try other browsers (Opera, Google Chrome)

- Any further issue: Try it on another PC, try it with different USB lead...the shorter the better (below steps are Windows specific)
- Whilst the device connected, remove the drivers from the Device Manager (Windows/Control Panel), DELETE the drivers
- Remove the MyTomTom application and run CCLEANER (will remove your history, cookies, etc by default)

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Report map errors (MSR Tool - link)
Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE
How to contact TomTom's Customer Services (link)
TomTom's Customer Services numbers (thx Niall) (link)
How to soft reset your device (link)

I am NOT a TomTom employee, just a user like others.
Message 2 of 10 (796 Views)
Please use plain text.
Supreme Trailblazer
martin86

First of all, re-boot the device by holding the power button for 15-20 seconds until the unit does the "drum roll" sound, then, if you are using the Windows 7 system, try using "Compatibility Mode" with IE8 or the Firefox or Chrome browser which I have heard tends to help when running the "MyTomTom" (not "TomTom Home") program which your device needs to connect to.  Windows Xp does'nt appear  to suffer as much with IE8.

Message 3 of 10 (788 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
forbiggs

Thank you, Zsolt, for your detailed avice. I have spent the last couple days trying everything you suggested with no success. I got close twice by using Google Chrome. Here is my senario:

1. Opened My Tomtom using Google Chrome
  2. Allowed My Tomtom to download the map
  3. When it reached 99% I plugged my GPS unit into the computer
  4. At first the GPS says “No Maps Found.” Then it says “Connecting to your computer.” Clicked OK. Tomtom says “checking for updates… Keep your device connected.” It searched for and found the map and it began installing onto the GPS. The webpage said “installing” and my GPS said “Busy. Please keep your device connected!” The installation took ½ hour or so.
  5. But after about 25 minutes: GPS said “connection to the server was lost” or another time: "Something has gone wrong. Check your computer for more information.” My Tomtom still says “Connected” and Maps on the Tomtom site says “Updating.”

My GPS says “No maps found! Insert a memory card containing a map or use My Tom tom to install a map.”

Any more tricks up your sleeve?

Message 4 of 10 (743 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt

Do you have the latest Adobe Flash and Java? Do you have access to another computer? Just to see if it is something with the PC or the device.

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE

Message 5 of 10 (737 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
forbiggs

Thanks, Zsolt! I downloaded & installed the latest Flash and Java. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled My TomTom using Google Chrome. It looked like it was going to work... downloaded 100% then began installing onto my GPS. Then at about 90% installation I got the message on my GPS screen "Something went wrong" and it stopped installing. So frustrating!

Yes, I have tried it on another computer without success. The only thing you suggested that I haven't done is I have not tried using a shorter cord because I don't have one. I do have a card reader though. Do these units have a memory card?

Atom

Message 6 of 10 (697 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt

Usually they do, but it wouldn't help in this case.

Message 7 of 10 (695 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
windy

Same problem i have. I been updating map without much problem since long time but this time i tried every posible solution,no luck. Luckly my via 1535 did not lose the old map and i am still using it. I am afraid to try any more because idon't want to lose my gps.It seem like tom tom want us to buy new gps. Let me know if there is any working solution.

Thanks

Andy

Message 8 of 10 (182 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt

What is the exact issue (instead of stating: the same)? This topic is from 2012 and lot has changed.

Message 9 of 10 (173 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
forbiggs

I opened this topic 2 years ago and the resolution was that TomTom had to send me a new replacement GPS unit. I haven't had any trouble since... except that my last map upgrade exceeded my storage capacity and I had to purchase a micro SD card but that went rather smooth.

Message 10 of 10 (163 Views)
Please use plain text.