Neophyte Traveler
firebry

New VIA 1500 won't activate Lifetime Map Update

I bought the VIA 1500 and installed mytomtom according to the included directions.  It is up to date and I am logged in to my account, however when i try to activate the lifetime maps with the included promo code it wants me to redownload mytomtom and I noticed it doesn't show the VIA series in the supported units.  I've tried to download and follow their prompts, but when I put in the code it comes back with an error... stating there is an incompatibilty with the installed application version?

Has anyone else had problems with their VIA series units and activating the lifetime maps.  Also has anyone had any sucess doing it just out of curiousity!  

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7 (2,408 Views)
Please use plain text.
JKH
New Traveler
JKH

Re: New VIA 1500 won't activate Lifetime Map Update

I bought mine today.  Similar issue.  Called tech support and she supposedly input the code for me on her end, however I still cannot get the latest map to install.  It downloads (3 times I've tried so far) but then gives me an error message.  Frustrating!

Message 2 of 7 (2,400 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Explorer
frostybrew

Email from CS  concerning MyTomTom software failing to install map updates.  (As of July 08 )

"Thank you for your replies. Currently we are experiencing an issue with the My TomTom software failing to deliver map updates. We anticipate having this issue resolved with an update to the My TomTom software in the future. We do not have an estimated release date for the update at this time. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. We appreciate your patience while we work to improve your navigation experience."

1> In order to activate the promotion code, there must be the updated version of map in the GPS (e.g.. Version 8.70);

2> Currently, the new version of map is not downloaded by 'my tomtom' automatically. If you want to download the new version, you have to contact with the customer service and provide them the scan/fax copy of purchase invoice as well as the promotion code voucher.

3> Unfortunately, even if you download the new version of map with the help of customer service, you are still not able to install it into the GPS. Because the 'my tomtom' will tell you that 'there is something wrong with your GPS, please contact with customer service'. When you phone the customer service, they will tell you that they are working on this issue, and will get back to you ASAP. Problem is that the issue being found was in April 2011. So the problem may not be resolved quicker enough.

To sum up, there is no solution for the issue of promotion code or updating map for VIA series currently.

Message 3 of 7 (2,395 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
firebry

Well thats great to know!  Thanks for the info.  Maybe I should have got the Garmin after all, lol!

Message 4 of 7 (2,393 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
firebry

Will the mytomtom app recognize when a new map is out on the system even if I can't download it to my device.  Say in six months from now if they still haven't fixed the update to the VIA series, will mytomtom update and notify me a new map is available (even if I can't install it), or will it just lead me to believe I always have the most up to date and not let me know there are newer maps out?

Thanks!!!

Message 5 of 7 (2,392 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
olehenry

yes i'm having the same problems i was supposed to  get lifetime map updates and havn't updated it since i've had it,,,,

i got a via 1500 and i DL the tomtom program said cant connect to device though this account , so i unplugged the device from computer then hit update map, then it asked me to connect to device,, but still wanting to charge me for updates , they need a fix for this it's a bunch of crap...

Message 6 of 7 (1,197 Views)
Please use plain text.
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

Are you using MyTomTom with the device? (get it at tomtom.com/getstarted).

A different email than used for a prior device?

Call CS to activate the lifetime maps:

United States

866 486 6866

Monday-Friday:
7:00am to 11:00pm EST
Saturday:
9:00am to 8:00pm EST

-------------------------------------------
I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. .....I am not a TomTom employee.
Message 7 of 7 (1,191 Views)
Please use plain text.