Zsolt
Kudos: 2,348
Solutions: 545

Re: Map updates take too long to install

I had the 2.9GB v900 map downloaded AND installed today within 1.5 hours. Nothing wrong with that... And I "only" have an 8Mb ADSL2+

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Report map errors (MSR Tool - link)
Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE
How to contact TomTom's Customer Services (link)
TomTom's Customer Services numbers (thx Niall) (link)
How to soft reset your device (link)

I am NOT a TomTom employee, just a user like others.
Message 11 of 28 (1,998 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Explorer
Usually_Patient

Thank you for your useful reply which I'm sure will be of great benefit to TomTom users.

Message 12 of 28 (1,978 Views)
Please use plain text.
Exalted Navigator
StomStom

This may be useful:

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3611/kw/download%20time

ps A map download is not an update: it is a new (updated) map.

pps You don't need to keep the device connected during download.

==========================================================================
Via Live 120 Europe (12.071 / v930)

-TIP-: use Search from the boards' index page.

http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/How-to-use-the-forum/How-to-Contact-support/td-p/292358
Message 13 of 28 (1,967 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
Geniocoeden

[ Edited ]

The download/install times are a major turn off...  They are completely ridiculous.  And, for those of us that paid for maps and updates, that's completely unacceptable and needs to be fixed.  This is why Garmin is the predominent GPS provider...  This system is stupid.  I was looking for an alternative to Garmin because my Garmin completely shut down in mid-travel....  So this time I got a TomTom, some of the maps are a little off, not by a lot but enough to get lost in an unfamiliar area, and then to add insult to injury, the downloads/installs take literally hours, half-days in some cases.  I will not recommend this product if a solution is not worked out for this.

And Zsoh, before you reply with your butthurt fanboy absurdity, just know that I don't care what you think or what your experience has been, because all that matters is what my experience has been and what I think of the product.  TomTom knows that unhappy customers are a detriment to future sales, I was going to buy a celebrity voice pack but I have changed my mind because I don't have a month to waste on downloading and installing it, which means LOST REVENUE!  So I really don't give a flying hoot what pro-TomTom comment you're going to make.  If you are not on their payroll, then your defense for it is just pathetic and bizarre (and out of alignment with similar complaints from others on this thread).

Message 14 of 28 (1,861 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt

First of all, it is Zsolt, second: you don't have to be personal. Won't achieve anything. How long it takes to download depends on MANY things. If it takes long for you, that doesn't mean it will take long for everybody. Whatever you recommend or not to others it is absolutely down to you, but at least don't say b.llocks. Why would Garmin download 3GB worth of map much quicker than TT, the USB standard is the same for all the devices, takes the same time to transfer from PC to device.

Today just happened I had to download a full EU map for a m8. 2.9GB map, 50 minutes. It is 59MB/minute or just under 1MB/second. It matches exactly my ISP's top speed. So in your theory, TomTom is crap, because my ISP can't provide more bandwidth on my line. Pretty sure the financial downturn was caused by TomTom as well, let alone global warming.

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE

Message 15 of 28 (1,856 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
Geniocoeden

[ Edited ]

Ha, exactly my point Zsolt...  You were very predictable and as usual, a fanboy.  Your response was pretty much a given.  What I actually said was the "download/installation" was slow and it is.  I have FiOS Quantum, you may know what that is, look it up, it's 300Mbps down, I doubt you or most people have that on this forum, or the world for that matter...  Just because you can pipe it doesn't mean the unit can take it AND once it gets it, it takes forever to install/process it.  So, your response was predictable and WRONG. Your response about the financial downturn and global warming are precisely what make you a fanboy, as it's a typical pretentious defense from a raging fanboy such as yourself.  Google "TomTom slow download" and then you'll see exactly why your comments are typical fanboy absurdity.  I don't mean any personal attack on you per se, simply pointing out that people have a valid concern/complaint and you have in every case on this thread attempted to minimize or disprove it with ZERO success considering we're all STILL having that experience, doesn't matter what you think, doesn't matter what fanboy assessment you apply, it's quite simply the experiences we are having...  You look ridiculous when you try to contradict them.

Message 16 of 28 (1,850 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
Bayerisch

I just wish that there is an option, that you can cancel the update. So that you can go back, and just select one update at a time. I made the mistake and had all the updates checked when I plugged in the new 2535, all updates including map updates (new maps) selected. After I tried again, thinking I could leave the new maps out from the updates and do these at a different time, it did not work, it started with the 6 hours update/download again.

Message 17 of 28 (1,847 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt

I don't strive for any rate of success. Facts are facts. Would you mind to elaborate then why your 300Mbps connection can't download relatively quickly, and why my 8Mbps connection is "quick enough"? What is an acceptable download time for you for 3GB?

As the other matter, if you didn't pick on me personally in your post, I wouldn't even give a toss. I stated my experience earlier, according to my broadband speed TT could provide the maximum possible speed (on my line). Shall I call them tomorrow to complain about "slow" downloads? Others with fibre optic connection around said they've downloaded 3GB maps in 10-12 minutes. So honestly, what is an acceptable speed to your standards for this size? And also what is Garmin's speed according to your experience?

What is being predictable and what is not is another question. You attack my person (because you did), I responded with facts, which obviously contradicts to your wish or personal experience, and we are going into catch 22.

State the download and transfer times that a TT device and TT as provider should guarantee you. State the numbers with regards to Garmin as well. No mambo-jambo, no what you think it might be.

You are as much of a Garmin fan boy as I am a TT (which I am not, but you said so). For my purposes TT serves best. That doesn't make one a fan boy, just to own one. I am an Aston Martin fan, yet don't have one. But if you'll ask about it, I will praise it over my Skoda.

Message 18 of 28 (1,841 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt

@Bayerisch: As per them, you should be able to disconnect the device, however I don't want to encourage it, as it might delete your map (shouldn't, but there was a time when it happened). I think there is a download queue. Customer services could remove items from the queue, but don't think it is worth the effort to call them just because of this. It would be better if they went back to the old way, when you didn't have to connect to see what is available for download.

Message 19 of 28 (1,839 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
Geniocoeden

[ Edited ]

Zsolt, I indeed called you out thus "starting it" but in my defense, it was only because you had replied to every single similar complaint with some kind of contradiction that is irrelevant to a person's experience, it wasn't their or my OPINION, Zsolt, it was a stated fact, the download AND INSTALL takes literally hours.  I am downloading at close to 300Mbps (not spot on but close enough to not matter).  The download still took long.  I can download movies, torents, etc. at lightning speed...  So, like you said, catch 22, because you insist it's fast, I insist it's not.  My ISP didn;t single out TomTom.  I call you a fanboy because honestly, you really really are.  Why would you tell people that there is not a problem or that their reason for complain is invalid when they are having a problem and their complaint is therefore indeed valid?  That's what you have been doing...  Go back and check, I'll wait...  That's why I anticipated your typical response, Zsolt, and guess what my friend, YOU DELIVERED!  Why?  Because you are indeed a fanboy.  Now, as for Garmin, and me being a fanboy of them, uhhh no, I specifically said I was looking for an alternative because my Garmin BROKE!  And, while I didn't clock my download times for my Garmin, as I saw no need since it was quick, I can promise you this, it wasn't HOURS it was an hour at most...  So, not sure what you want me to say about that.  Also, my TomTom is off by blocks in some cases...  I guess that's not a problem either?  Or maybe that's something I'm doing wrong?  Ultimately, Zsolt, the experience has not been a good one.  Whether it's the download speed (as in the TT unit's ability to handle the pipe not what's provided by my ISP) or it's the install or processing of the data, no matter what you say, it takes hours....  A lot of people reporting five to eight hours...  That's ridiculous.  Again, I don;t know how long my Garmin took, but I can promise you beyond the shadow of any doubt that it did not take between five and eight hours.  What country are you in?  America is a huge country, maybe that has something to do with our difference in experience, either way, you minimizing people's complaints with half truths and bold assumptions is absurd and fanboyish...  Take that how you want.  I'm really done having the conversation, I think I've more than made my point.  Enjoy your Skoda.

Message 20 of 28 (1,835 Views)
Please use plain text.