Novice Explorer
Don23456

Map updates take too long to install

I traied to update my maps and I have cable internet service from Cox. It still took 20 minutes to download, and then when it went to install, it took over 40 minutes to install onto the device. Why does it take so long to do an update???

Message 1 of 28 (5,919 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt
Kudos: 2,291
Solutions: 537

Re: Map updates take too long to install

[ Edited ]

Depending on which device and maps you have, it can be even over 3GB to download/copy.

Edit: With a WTE it can be even ways over 8GB.

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Report map errors (MSR Tool - link)
Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE
How to contact TomTom's Customer Services (link)
TomTom's Customer Services numbers (thx Niall) (link)
How to soft reset your device (link)

I am NOT a TomTom employee, just a user like others.
Message 2 of 28 (5,912 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
Pa_User

Having been a very faithful TomTom user up to this point (Go 730 with TomTom Home for several years) I can say that I do like my Live 1535. However, you people at TomTom need to seriously redo the update system used now because to say the least IT SUCKS.  I have never had so much trouble trying to update a device as I have with this device. Please bring your products back up to the old TomTom standard or you will be loosing even more customers.

And no, it's not settings used here as everything else on my system is working just fine. One moment it says there's updates, starts to update then says there aren't any updates. Your level of service has drastically dropped.

Message 3 of 28 (5,891 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
DeanB

I just update my map ok BUT 70 minutes! I am on high speed with loads of band width.
Message 4 of 28 (5,753 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt

Part of that time is actually to transfer the map through USB. On 1.1 it takes ages, on 2.0 still some time but not that bad. On 3.0 it would be much faster, but I doubt any actual TT device supports native 3.0.

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE

Message 5 of 28 (5,751 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
jimthehammer

OVER 4.5 hrs and counting for this stupid update to complete whats up with that! Im ready to toss this TomTom and get a Garmin Nuvi.

Message 6 of 28 (5,610 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt

Like that would copy a few GBs quicker....

Message 7 of 28 (5,606 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
ledborough

Fully concur.  Over 45 minutes for a map update is not acceptable at all.  Especially when the update happens when one is trying to get away on a journey!

Message 8 of 28 (5,573 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt

Obviously you don't do an update 10 minutes before you leave...

Message 9 of 28 (5,571 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Explorer
Usually_Patient

I'm only a recent user of TomTom and am very satified even after finding the thing worked great till I did my first update.  The next day I found it would not respond to my finger presses but after reading the instruction given on TomToms website after getting to my destination using a traditional method of navigation, I found out how to reset and I was on my way again.

The only annoying thing is how long it takes to download the most minimal of update, I have a 20Mb connection but it might as well be 56K, one can forget about using TomTom for at least 3 to 4 hours, its a joke, so much so that I've virtually given up except for the times when going out overnight and leaving the thing to its own resorces.  Why so slow?

Message 10 of 28 (5,533 Views)
Please use plain text.