Lupus1
Topics: 21
Kudos: 1,595
Solutions: 320

FAQ - Differences between Latest Map Guarantee and Lifetime Map Updates

[ Edited ]

Hi,

this topic is about the differences between the Latest Map Guarantee (short LMG) and the Lifetime Map Updates (short LTM).

The LMG is granted to make sure you get your device with the latest map available. Due to device production and delivering times as well as the time a device may be stored at the shop it might be that the map preinstalled on the device is already quite old when you purchase your device. To make sure you can start up to date, TT offers you to download the latest map available for a certain period after your purchase. The period starts with either the first time you connect your device to your computer or the first time you use your device (whatever comes first). Using the device means to drive 30 km/h or faster.

For NAV2 devices that are connecting via TT HOME the period is 30 days. NAV2 devices are the following ones:

• Go 5xx/7xx/9xx series
  • XL / XXL series
  • START / START²
  • ONE series
  • EASE

For NAV3 devices that are connecting via the MyTomTom support application the period is 90 days. NAV3 devices are the following ones:

• GO LIVE 8xx/1xxx/2xxx series
  • VIA series
  • Start 20/25 series

I recommend waiting with the download until the end of the LMG period as it may happen that the next map gets released within this period. Maps are being released mid of February, May, August and November. The releases are usually being announced in this forum as well as in TT’s online map shop. If you don’t get made the latest version available after release but you’re still in your LMG period please call support and provide them with proof of purchase so they can make you the latest map available.
The LMG is available worldwide and for every device you may purchase. It is a onetime only update.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

To get the LTM you need to purchase a device where it is included. Those devices are symbolized by an M at the end of the device’s name (i.e. GO LIVE 2535 M or VIA 1535 TM).
The LTM service needs to be activated. There should be a card included in the box saying DO NOT DISCARD!!! On that card there’ll be a code which you’ll need to activate the LTM. With some devices there’s no code needed any more so there won’t be a code on that card. With those devices the LTM gets activated via the device’s serial number. To activate the code please do the following:
1: Install MyTomTom from here: www.tomtom.com/getstarted
2: Link your device to your account.
3: Go to the website, click the green MyTomTom tab and Activate Code.

If you receive an error then try input the code again or you can call customer support
(FAQ - How to contact TomTom customer support (hyperlink))
and ask them to activate the LTM service for you. You will need to provide some proof of purchase, the code and some proof that your device is a LTM-entitled device.

The LTM provides you with every map update being released for your map as long as your device lives. So even if there’s a new map being released in 4 years or more from now on and you still use that device you’ll get that map made available. You should always have the latest one installed on your device or available for download in your account. The current map (November 2012) is v900. With each map version the version number gets raised by 5. So the next versions are as following: v905, v910, v915.
As the LTM service is linked to the device’s serial number it isn’t transferable to another device. If your device is broken while in warranty please make sure you get another device with LTM service as replacement.

Regards
Lars.

Ditte edit: LTM is now available in Europe as well - additionally corrected current map version.

TT XL•S LIVE IQ Routes Edition (Text-to-Speech)
map/Europe_North 875.3613
TT Start 60
map/Europe 910.4964
TT GO 6000
map/Europe 926.5515

TT Runner Cardio watch

TT Home 2.9.7.3256
MyDrive Connect 3.3.0.1317
MySports Connect 1.3.9
Win8 64bit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm no TT employee but just a customer trying to help
Message 1 of 10 (4,887 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
Schlanbusch

Re: FAQ - Differences between Latest Map Guarantee and Lifetime Map Updates

Lupus1 Wrote: "I recommend waiting with the download until the end of the LMG period as it may happen that the next map gets released within this period. Maps are being released mid of February, May, August and November. The releases are usually being announced in this forum as well as in TT’s online map shop. If you don’t get made the latest version available after release but you’re still in your LMG period please call support and provide them with proof of purchase so they can make you the latest map available."

I bought a Go1005 live in july with map version 8.85

I did not install 8.90

There is still al long time to my 90 days expire.

I have noticed that the latest version 8.95 now is available, but my TomTom just show that 8.90 is ready for downloading.

Before I contact CS I will ask here if it is "not allowed" to jump over a version, if there is a newer version available after starting to use the device.

In short: Am I stuck with the "old" 8.90 ?

Message 2 of 10 (3,173 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
chief5725

What is Nav2 or Nav3? Call it what it is!!1505 or what ever else you have made. Everytime I am looking for info it calls my unit somrthing differant. this sucks! I can't get help with any problems an this unit has alot. This is my second TomTom and I will NEVER have another one!! Tec help questions want send either.

Message 3 of 10 (3,084 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
telgal

Hello, I just purchased a 1535 VIA and went to www.tomtom.com/getstarted and created an account.  I then went to updates and chose to download update maps for Canada/Mexico.  It started downloading (i'm about 2 hours into it on a 768 Kbps DSL connection), it's crazy since I have preloaded maps... during the installation I got a message that read my 90 day latest map guarantee has expired.  I bought the unit with lifetime maps, so I realized I needed to enter my promocode for that, so I did it, and it is still downloading hours worth of updates to Canada/Mexico.  How do I stop this? I tried to interrupt it but it is still saying downloading 7 HOURS LEFT!!!!!!! Where is a tech support toll free number?  The Tom Tom site is not userfriendly.   How often do I have to do updates?  Will I be able to skip over versions?  or will the next download take this crazy amount of time?  Did I mess something up by not registering(promo code) as a Lifetime Maps user initially? HELP!!!!!!

Message 4 of 10 (2,955 Views)
Please use plain text.
Lupus1
Topics: 21
Kudos: 1,595
Solutions: 320

Hi,

sorry it took so long until I reply.

The Nav2 devices are all devices connecting via the TT HOME application and get detected as storage devices. The NAV3 devices all connect via the MyTomTom support application and get detected as network connections. Therefore I mentioned them in that way as there are many different devices but all fall into one of the two groups.

When first using your device or connecting it to your computer a time stamp gets created. This stamp will be read by TT's servers to link the map being the latest at that time. A newer map won't be assigned as there's already one map having been assigned to your account as the latest map guarantee. Therefore you'll need to contact support to get the newer map assigned. The LMG assignment doesn't get updated as the stamp won't be read any more after one map has been assigned. CS will then assign the newer map if you're entitled to one.

@telgal: If you set the options in your MyTT application to download all files to cache you may disconnect your device in between and the download should still move on. But as the maps are quite large it'll need some time with your internet connection. I know your trouble as I only have a 384kbps download speed and the Europe map is just as large or even larger. Every time you'll install a new map it'll take that long or even longer as the maps get larger with every version.
As far as I know there is no other support number than that given on the homepage. In case you don't want to call them every time you may also send them an e-mail but getting an answer via e-mail usually takes longer than calling them. You won't have messed up anything by not registering your promo code first but I recommend doing this soon if it has not been accepted yet so you'll get all the updates made available. You won't need to download them but can skip map versions or you go to a store/internet cafe or someplace else with a much faster internet connection to install map updates.

Regards
Lars.

TT XL•S LIVE IQ Routes Edition (Text-to-Speech)
map/Europe_North 875.3613
TT Start 60
map/Europe 910.4964
TT GO 6000
map/Europe 926.5515

TT Runner Cardio watch

TT Home 2.9.7.3256
MyDrive Connect 3.3.0.1317
MySports Connect 1.3.9
Win8 64bit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm no TT employee but just a customer trying to help
Message 5 of 10 (2,062 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
exgmin

I have just bought a Start25 with Lifetime updates which I have had authorised via the MYTOMTOM and user support.

Message 6 of 10 (1,490 Views)
Please use plain text.
SSC
Neophyte Traveler
SSC

Lupus1 from Germany states that the Lifetime Map Updates (LTM) is only for North America, but I've just bought a Start 60 with Uk & EU maps which claims to include lifetime map updates, so hope this is something that has changed since he posted.  I'm terrified of doing my first map update seeing so many problems reported here, so will probably use my TomTom on old maps for a while first.  Just looking around to see what will be involved and if I have a compatible computer/software/ internet, etc.
I was also told by the salesman that I could just upload some countries as I don't expect to be driving round all of Europe.  I can't see any reference to this anywhere, only a 2.7Gb European maps update V.9.0 available.  Can I just download some of the countries whenever I want to update maps (on LTM) to minimise file size & download time?  If so, how?

Message 7 of 10 (1,433 Views)
Please use plain text.
AndiAndi
Kudos: 1,170
Solutions: 323

Hi SSC,

Welcome to theForum!

As you can see here:

http://www.tomtompromotion.com/maps/gb

there is a promotion for Free LifeTime maps right now and your Start 60 (purchased between 18th October – 24th December) is included.

You only can update a complete map and not parts of it.

Don´t worry, updating is not so tricky. All the people with no problems are not posting here. :smileywink:

Important is to update the firmware (navcore) first and the map last. Updating a map takes some time!

Greetings

Andreas

MyDrive Connect 3.3.0.1502
Message 8 of 10 (1,425 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
exgmin

I have recently bought Start 25 with Lifetime updates. Received the authentification code within 48hours and have downloaded full update plus a number of mapshare updates with no problems at all.
The main download took several hours plus another 1.5 hours to install.
I am extremely pleased with the unit so far.
Message 9 of 10 (1,421 Views)
Please use plain text.
SSC
Neophyte Traveler
SSC

Thanks Andreas. 
Shame about having to upload ALL 2.7Gb for all Europe.  Will put Halfords staright if i go there again soon.
Still think I'll wait until after Christmas before updating! :smileywink:  Fingers crossed.

SC

Message 10 of 10 (1,402 Views)
Please use plain text.