Apprentice Explorer
JustinRP37

Extremely Slow Map Update

I have a TomTom XL and have map updates.  I routinely do the map updates.  Typically they take one to three days.  I run Mac OS x 10.6.7, but no longer use this for the TomTom as Home does not work with this OS.  I use Windows 7 64 Bit for updating my TomTom now.  However, when I perform the update, it never gets through before an error occurs during the install.  Normally I just manually install the map using Windows Explorer, but now even this is taking forever.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  There are tons of message boards about this with no solutions and the CS rep said just buy a new TomTom.  I have to say if I do have to buy a new GPS it will be a Garmin as my parents nuvi takes about 25 minutes to update and is 3 years old.  Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 172 (14,329 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
JustinRP37

Re: Extremely Slow Map Update

It appears that the USB is only writing sporadically to the TomTom and I have no idea why.

Message 2 of 172 (14,328 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
Ian_home

I have just experienced the same problem.

I have a new windows 7 64 bit ultrafast machine with high speed cable..... map update still has 4 hours to go !!!  grrrrrr

Message 3 of 172 (14,194 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
Jackhals

I'll experienced the same with a new Via120 Europe(first on XP, then on W7). It takes more than 7 hours to get the update and new maps!  it is still running. In the same time I'll download a lot more gigabytes. Why is this update slow?,:smileysad:

Message 4 of 172 (14,173 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
marc64990

I have currently the same problem : purchased ont Tomtom site the update of my Europe South map + suscribed 1 year (+ bonus 6 m) updates for approx 60 euro. Started to download yesterday evening : the more the download progressed, the more the "time remaining" indication went up. At one moment, it showed... 6458 hours !! Interrupted during the night, restarted this morning at 08.30 am (showing a time remaining forecast of more than 7 hours) and after 6.30 hours download, the time remaining is still of ... 5.15 hours (if not disconnected). Meanwhile, 60 euros have been already "uploaded" from my account. I have read all the posts regarding this topic and I do not understand why and how a company like Tomtom does not bring any answer and/or solution to this...

Message 5 of 172 (14,149 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
JustinRP37

I called tech support awhile back and they said it was most likely a hardware error, even though I said it was all over the forum pages that this is a problem.  The technical support lady said that mine was two years old and probably ready for replacement.  I said to spend that much money every few years is ridiculous.  I was able to update the map by manually moving each file from the computer to the TomTom one at a time, tedious I know, but it does work.  You must be sure to copy the activation files as well, one at a time.  Good luck!  I now just tend to use my smartphone for any GPS needs.

Message 6 of 172 (14,144 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
mekvuk

I'm having the same problems - it's definitely an I/O error - tomtom Home keeps dieing and even windows explorer is failing to copy them on. I've just spent £65 ish on map updates and now my TomTom's a brick as I can't even put the old map files back.
Message 7 of 172 (14,108 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
pboynton

[ Edited ]

Are you updating to an SD card or to the built-in memory? I have found it takes much longer to update to the memory card that I installed so that I could save more features on my One XLS.  But I have no solution. I have a fiber optic broadband connection and run Windows 7 64 bit on a fast machine. I've learned to do it overnight.

Message 8 of 172 (13,935 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
ooo_man_max

I have the same problem with my XL 310. It takes >12 hours to copy to internal memory after downloading the update. I have tried both a Vista and a Windows 7 x64 machine. No help from TomTom yet.

Message 9 of 172 (13,854 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
pboynton

The real question is why doesn't TOMTOM monitgor these forums and chime in with a response!

Message 10 of 172 (13,845 Views)
Please use plain text.