Novice Explorer
Superblade7

Adding New Maps / Removing Installed One

All,

I currently have a Start2 with UK & ROI Maps installed.  I may be going to the USA next year and if so, would need the USA maps installing on my TomTom.

I have looked and the USA map is 1540MB and I only have 1501MB free on my TomTom.  The currently installed UK & ROI maps take up about 240MB on the TomTom.

I am a pretty basic user and have only ever used TomTom Home for updates etc so I've now looked through and noticed there is a 'Manage My Device' option which appears to let you remove items from the device.

Therefore can I just ask you guys with experience if I were to delete the UK & ROI map from the device and install the USA map, would I be able to delete the USA map and install the UK one again easily enough after my trip?  Also, if I did this, would I then lose the USA map or would this be stored somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Message 1 of 6 (4,436 Views)
Please use plain text.
Staff
Zoë

Re: Adding New Maps / Removing Installed One

Hi superblade7,

You're quite correct in your thinking, yes, you can move the UK map to your computer and that should leave enough space for you to install the USA map. And the same applies as for when you're home from the USA, you can store the USA map on your computer for next time.

In order to do this and install the USA map, in TomTom Home, please go into Manage My Start - here you should see the list of items on your device. If you click the plus next to Maps, it will open and display the UK map you have already on your device. Next to this, please tick the map with the tickbox on the right hand side.

At the bottom of the screen, you should see Copy items to computer.

Once you have done this, you can then select the map again and click Remove items from device.

This should leave you with the space you need to install the USA map. If you've already purchased it, you should just be able to click on Update My Start in the main menu and download the map.

In order to add the map back to the TomTom when you're home (and when you've removed the USA map to make the space you need) please do the following:

In TomTom Home, click on Add Traffic, Voices, Safety Cameras etc, and press on More until you see Items on my Computer.

You should see everything on your PC in here, including the map, with the option to Add next to it.

Hope this helped, let us know if you have further questions.

Zoe

Message 2 of 6 (4,434 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
jgt10

Hmm, I don't have a "Manage My Start" in TomTom Home.  I am using MyTomTom version 3.2.0.700 for a TomTom GO 2435.

Any ideas on how to delete a map without that?

Message 3 of 6 (3,849 Views)
Please use plain text.
Legendary Explorer
Holmergreenie

At least Home gives one the opportunity to remove data.  It's unbelievable that My Tomtom does not offer this feature :manfrustrated:

Message 4 of 6 (3,819 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
namwaldog

Thanks for your instructions as I am in the same position as Superblade 7. I have taken the following steps...

1. Selected 'Manage my One',

2. Selected Maps (865mb),

3. Selected Copy Items to Computer 

This took a few minutes so then on my PC,  I went to my Documents, TomTom,    Home,   from Device,   and there found two files..

a. Zip file Western Europe 1gb

b   .toc file Western Europe 1gb

Back in TomTom Home I  clicked on Add Traffic, Voices, Safety Cameras etc, and press on More until you see Items on my Computer but there are no items shown. Do I need to unzip the file or is there another problem?

Regards,

Barry

Message 5 of 6 (3,695 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
Popo1212

Hi superblade7: Maybe I am late with this answer, If you are going to rent a car here in the states you can also rent a gps with the car it has all the maps you need in it. This saves all the trouble of deleting and adding maps on your unit. Hope this helps. Popo1212

Message 6 of 6 (1,907 Views)
Please use plain text.