Novice Explorer
Cathcam

Re: TomTom Multisports - Swim Mode Defective (and lacking advertised feature)

>>Watch works flawlessly in indoor pools for me (now), perfect lap counting over 72 lengths.  Are you sure the data on your >>watch was not demo data?

Asides from the fact it doesn't record the correct distance.

>>Your other complaints, aside from the outdoor tracking are things you should've known before you bought it.

Thats awesome, if you could let me know how I should have known, I'mm make sure I include those pointers in my review. 

Message 31 of 127 (1,682 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Explorer
Talvi

Confused. I put myself down for info on when the watch was going to be released months ago but didn't heard anything. Glad I checked back here! Can't find what it was that changed for seanmclean from having those problems to the watch working perfectly. Any updates possible Sean? BTW watchwatch fwiw the PoolMate HR records heart rate while swimming. but It has no GPS.
Message 32 of 127 (1,659 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
seanmclean

Talvi,

My problem with indoor swimming was the watch was set to autolap.  Once I went into "training" and selected "none", the watch stopped that annoying autolapping issue.  Ever since, it's worked flawlessly indoors.  Currently, it can only be set to meters, so it underestimates the distance I swim in my 25y pool, but I can live with that while since I know a fix is coming.  I mostly just use it as a lap counter anyway (which is 100% accurate for me).

Message 33 of 127 (1,638 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Explorer
Talvi

I'm floundering about as I haven't seen one in the wild yet (I'm in Finland) so thanks for the info.  Appreciated.

May I ask if you know how many strokes the watch needs to register a lap is being swum?  The PoolMates need around 17 I understand and my SPL is very close to that and even below if I'm trying for long strokes.

p.s  TomTom seem to be working on firmware updates (is everything released in "beta test" mode these days?!) so hopefully our cousins across the pond will get their heads around the Eurpean system of measurement soon :smileyvery-happy:  I assume exports of cars to continental Europs have speedometers etc in kilometres?!  LoL 

Thanks again.

Message 34 of 127 (1,632 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
seanmclean

After turning around, the watch seems to need 1-2 strokes before registering a new lap.

When doing long swims, I tend to swim at a very steady pace, and my SWOLF/SPL measures indicate that the watch is very consistent in registering when a new lap begins.

Message 35 of 127 (1,629 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Explorer
Talvi

That's really interesting Sean, thanks.  Do you have a strong turn?  Is it that which kicks off the new lap?  My turns are not powerful (I don't want them to be) often they are very gentle.

It seems to be a weakness in the PoolMate technology that their watches needs so many strokes, but then I gues that means it doesn't have to rely on a push-off to kick the accelerometers.

Any thoughts welcome.

Message 36 of 127 (1,625 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
seanmclean

I'm not sure if I count it as a "strong" turn or not.  I get to the end, turn around and push off (but not very forcefully).  

I believe that the watch relies on both push-off and stroke to indicate a new lap.  For example, yesterday I did a 40-length set.  After I completed my 40th length, the watch still indicated that I was on my 39th lap (Naturally), so I turned around and pushed off.  No dice, still 39 laps.  So I swam two strokes, and then it registered.

I'm not planning to swim again until Friday, but I'll give it a whirl (no-push turn).

Message 37 of 127 (1,620 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Explorer
Talvi

Thanks Sean.  Interesting stuff.  I confess to beginning to get excited about it again!  :smileyvery-happy:  Looking forward to reading your updates.

I imagined the watch would start at 1 not zero i.e while swimming the first lap it would record 1 to show the lap you were on rather than 0 - the number of laps completed.  Just me maybe and all swim watches count the same way?.  After months of deliberating I STILL haven't taken the plunge (sic) with one, but this could be it!  :smileyvery-happy:

BTW have you checked it counts your strokes accurately?  It sounds as if it does from what you write but just checking.

Message 38 of 127 (1,611 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
seanmclean

The display is "Laps Completed", so it starts on zero, and switches to one after your first turnaround.  I haven't done any thorough checking on whether the stroke count is accurate, but its in the ballpark of what I've known before, and haven't had any hiccups with regard to lapcounting, so I would suspect its fairly accurate.

Message 39 of 127 (1,601 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
Cathcam

Thats what made the watch pretty useless to me. I didn't expect it to use GPS indoors and to produce a GPS track of my indoor swim session, but at least based on two swim sets, I couldn't get it to reliably detect that I'd tumble turned and thus how many lengths I'd done, period. Without an accurate count you can't get an accurate length, times, etc.

Stroke count would have been nice, but the fact that it couldn't reliably detect which direction I was going in seemed like a fundamental flaw. Add to the the lack of open water tracking and swimming was out.

I hear its a great runners watch, and lots of people are hoping the current product deficiences will be addressed with software updates. I do embedded firmware for a living, let me caution you against hoping everything can be solved with "software updates".

If the TomTom product manager wants to publish a list of features and commit to supporting them on the current watch platform, then thats great. Otherwise here based on my experice of embedded software development is what might happen to stop this:

• Run out of memory on the watch making adding software function difficult, and where it can be added, expensive to do
  • Run out of processor power - A processor can only perform so many concurrent tasks actions like swimming require a number I imagine
  • The product doesn't make it sales targets - a which point a relaunch and higher price become a great way to continue investment. They can even upsell existing customers who've had the current product for a year or more and who'd rather invest in the same product family than migrate to a new one.
Message 40 of 127 (1,589 Views)
Please use plain text.