Apprentice Explorer
melanie

TomTom Go 910 won't turn on anymore

Hi

My Go 910 keeps failing on me.

The "on/charging" light always goes green while charging.

At first it would start and then show a dying battery even after a full nights charge and while plugged into the car charger. After a few mins it would die. Sometimes it came back if I held the device tight on the car charger.

I though lose contact so I started using the home craddle with the car charger. That did work better for a while.

After that stopped working I thought : dead battery. Bought a new after-market one, changed it (not that easy!) but I kept having the same issue. Turns on, Batt low, shuts off, or wont even start.

Checked more forums, read to clean the contacts so I did, all of them, car charger, home charger, tomtom, all  with modified alcohol..   IT WORKED.  For a few days. Then the batt started showing as low all the time again and now won't start at all.

I tried the tiny reset button in the back of the device .. the one that almost everyone who had this issue did and it resolved the problem, but no luck for me.

For the last few days its dead, all but the green charging light while its on the charger 

Does anyone have any new tricks I can try before I sell it for parts?

Thanks,

Melanie S
TomTom Go 910
TomTom Go 950 LIVE
Message 1 of 22 (13,802 Views)
Please use plain text.
Founding Member
Oskar

Re: TomTom Go 910 won't turn on anymore

If you have changed the battery already and that didn't fix the problem finally than there's probably something wrong with the charging electronics on the circuit board or there's a broken solder joint.

But regardless what it is for me it sounds as if a cheap solution is still possible at least for someone familiar with electronis and as long as you won't send the device to TomTom for repair. The GO 910 is/was a very good PND but you have to check out for someone trustworthy first. Otherwise I think it's time now to say good by. :smileysad:

Oskar
Message 2 of 22 (13,797 Views)
Please use plain text.
Revered Navigator
Wyvern46

When I changed the battery on my One XL, the new battery would not charge using the mains charger or a 1000mv car adaptor. I had to take it out in my car and give it a good zap for an hour with the original TT car adaptor [2000+mv]. For a while it was the only way to charge it, Then after several days of car charging, it began to respond to the charge from the mains charger.

Go550Live
Go530T
One XLT WE

Based: West London
Message 3 of 22 (13,762 Views)
Please use plain text.
MOE
Novice Explorer
MOE

not sure if your model is similar to mine i have go 710 but there is a small rubber stopper on the rear of the device that holds the device on to the contacts on the mount if this is worn it will not charge but will still show the green power light to check to see if the device is charging whilst plugged in to car or mains tap the navigator screen in the bottom right corner and you will see the battery power indicator at the top of the screen and underneath it will say charging if it does not then the contacts in the mount are not getting correct connection if you then put pressure on the device pushing firmly forward it will then show charging maybe this will help and could be a cheap fix this as happened to me twice now just trying to get hold of a stopper direct from tomtom

hope this helps that is if the devices are similiar think they are ?

Message 4 of 22 (13,686 Views)
Please use plain text.
Founding Member
Oskar

[ Edited ]

MOE wrote:

... there is a small rubber stopper on the rear of the device that holds the device on to the contacts on the mount...

@ Wyvern46

You may ask support for such a rubber stopper. In the past when you asked them they sent it out for free but I don't know if this tiny thing is still in stock after all those years..

Oskar
Message 5 of 22 (13,673 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
melanie

Hi, Thanks

Yes the 710 and 910 are practically identical.

I cannot turn on my 910 at all so I cant check on the batt status. I have tried pressing it down very hard onto the charger to make sure it charges but no luck.  I just sent an email to support to see if they still do send out the rubber thing... I dont see one on mine. Hope that does it.

Thanks

Melanie

Will update as situation unfolds .....

Melanie S
TomTom Go 910
TomTom Go 950 LIVE
Message 6 of 22 (13,622 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
melanie

Thanks, I sent them an email but .... just in case... I would like to see if there is a way I can fix this myself.

I have searched many forums and google pics but I cannot find the info I need:

Does anyone have a picture of where this " rubber docking enabler" goes?   The shape of it etc .... ?

I can maybe McGyver something as I doubt TomTom will send me a replacement for this old model.

Thanks,

Melanie S
TomTom Go 910
TomTom Go 950 LIVE
Message 7 of 22 (13,566 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
CasperSlides

I've recently had a similar problem. I received a GO 910 as a present, a friend of mine had a pile of them as corporate gifts that were left over from a sales fair and gave me one. It worked brilliantly for all of four days and then wouldn't switch on. I checked the FAQs on the tomtom site and came across these instructions to reset the device

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12300/related/1

and hey what do you know, now it works fine... phew!!

Hope that this helps.

Casper x

Message 8 of 22 (13,488 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
melanie

Thanks, but I already tried that as I wrote in the very first post.

. ''...I tried the tiny reset button in the back of the device .. the one that almost everyone who had this issue did and it resolved the problem, but no luck for me."

Melanie S
TomTom Go 910
TomTom Go 950 LIVE
Message 9 of 22 (13,482 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
melanie

TomTom support emailed me back - they will send me a replacement rubber stopper / rubber docking enabler ...  I hope that will solve it...  I am still searching for a picture that shows me exactly where it would go. If you have one, please let me know.

Thanks

Melanie S
TomTom Go 910
TomTom Go 950 LIVE
Message 10 of 22 (13,480 Views)
Please use plain text.