Neophyte Explorer
ncvi

TOMTOM 720 Battery Replacement

My 720 battery has a life of less than 10 minutes. I can buy a replacement one for £7 but I gather there is some difficulty with a special tool to open the back. When I asked TT Repairs they quoted a flat fee of £105 which is clearly not what I want. Request adsvice on the way forward please! If I get a battery might a comepetent computer workshop be a place to ask about fitting it?

Message 1 of 14 (8,504 Views)
Please use plain text.
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

Re: TOMTOM 720 Battery Replacement

See here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/NewPower99DotCom#p/search/0/NcbebExQmx8

-------------------------------------------
I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. .....I am not a TomTom employee.
Message 2 of 14 (8,504 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
cokepepsi

Hello, you are my first contact and i can't seem to navigate the forum/discussion are very well yet to know how to put this out to more people at once for a response. Thank you for anything you can do!

Forum info talks about purchasing and replacing battery in GPS, I have a 730, and on TT Site they say you can't replace battery??

Symptoms:  Even though green battery level indicator shows a full green bar (Battery),  when i unplug from the charger cord it goes black and off immediately.  Even when charging, no indicator lights show up on any corner of the unit or screen... just the green power light in bottom right hand corner??

Thank you for anything you can do for me!

Cokepepsi

Message 3 of 14 (8,147 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
RVaughan

Clear on the replacement. Excellent.

Question: My TT720 shut down and went black in the middle of a trip. The lower right green charge light shows fine. It will not power up. The battery has been down to seconds of life at a full charge for some time.

Would it be that the battery has completely expired thus would not work at all when connected to an outside power supply? Would my symptoms be a totally gone battery or likely another issue?

I am happy to order an replace the battery if that is a likely expectation for the problem. After spending a week with a borrowed Garmin, I have ordered a new TT1535. It should arrive today. If I can power the 720, I'll give it to my wife.

RVA in Maryland

Message 4 of 14 (8,010 Views)
Please use plain text.
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

Yes, your symptoms sound like those I had on my 720. I could charge it (even with AC) for hours. When disconnected, it too went from full powershowing to red to shutdown. Simply, the battery was kaput.

I finally did replace it and it's back to normal.........

I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. .....I am not a TomTom employee.
Message 5 of 14 (8,009 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
Frank_L

You can buy a battery that comes with a kit containing a Torx screwdriver and a shim tool, or you can spend less for the battery and supply your own tools.  You need a Torx #6 screwdriver.  I was able to get one in a set for about $6 USD.  You will need a very thin shim to pry the screen from the bezel to get at the inside of the device.  I used a jeweler's screwdriver.  You can get one at the druggist in an eyeglass repair kit.

The biggest challenge is getting the old battery off of the circuit board.  The battery is not designed to be replaced, so it is attached with a strong adhesive.  You have to pry the battery loose very carefully, being careful not to crack the circuit board or otherwise damage any of the components on the board.  I used the high quality knife on a Leatherman multi-tool to very slowly pry the battery loose.  Be patient and be careful; you don't want to snap off your knife blade.

If you can remove the battery from the circuit board, there should be enough "stickum" left on the board so that you won't have to use anything to hold the new battery down (and it will be easier to replace that if you ever want to).  Otherwise, use some double-sided tape to attach the new battery to the board.  Scrapbooking tape should work well.

Charge the new battery fully.  The cradle doesn't seem to draw enough power from the USB port to do a good job.  I used the car charger and it came up to full power in several hours.  It's too soon to tell if the replacement battery is any better than the original.  Even when it was new, my Go 720 battery would deplete itself in 30 days of non-use, and the rated useful life of the battery was only about 3 hours.  I hope the new battery is also an upgrade.

As you can tell, this isn't a completely simple task, and you do run the risk of ruining your device, but if you are careful, you can save yourself quite a bit of money and do the job well.

There's a very good video at http://www.youtube.com/user/NewPower99DotCom#p/search/0/NcbebExQmx8

Maybe it's worth paying a little extra and getting the full kit from them to thank them for their excellent instructional video, but their battery kit is a bit more expensive than some others.

Message 6 of 14 (7,796 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
tigermothpilot

Hi, just before I change my go720 battery (which wont hold it's charge) will it lose all it's memory when I disconnect it momentarily?

Message 7 of 14 (3,478 Views)
Please use plain text.
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

No.

Message 8 of 14 (3,470 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
tigermothpilot

Thanks for the reply.   Hope it's not too cold there.

Message 9 of 14 (3,445 Views)
Please use plain text.
wog
New Traveler
wog

Where in nz can I buy a new battery  for my tom tom go 720 wog

Message 10 of 14 (2,859 Views)
Please use plain text.