Novice Explorer
bconde

Go 510 won't start up...hit RESET button...left in charger for 2 days....

[ Edited ]

Love my 510, but it started turning off then back on when on the window mount in the car. Then the battery ran down and I took it out of the car and hooked it to my 110VAC home charger. Green power lite is on, solid, but hitting the ON switch does not result in start up.

Used paper clip to hold RESET button down for 20 secs, then hit power button again....no joy.

Removed SD card, held RESET button down, the tried hitting POWER button again. nope.

The unit does not fit snuggly into home charger....it is loose. Is therea problemwith connector wearing out and losing connection? the problem of it turning off/on in the car may be due to loose connector, and the home charger issue may be related.

Any history/reports from y'all like this?

Suggestions?

Message 1 of 7 (2,764 Views)
Please use plain text.
NC
Kudos: 184
Solutions: 71

Re: Go 5`0 won't start up...hit RESET button...left in charger for 2 days....

I had several 710 before and I had connection issue with one of them.  Similar to your situation.

Suggestion to you:

Put it on the home dock for at least 30 minutes with green light on.  Then push the little pin hole and put it back to dock.  Hold the power button for up to 20 seconds or till you hear the tomtom whichever comes first.

I am a TomTom user just like you.

Help others identify useful content:
- Did someone answer your question? Click Accept as Solution on the most helpful reply
- Did someone post something helpful? Click the kudos button

Need help with your TomTom device?
Add details about the TomTom device to your post: Device name, Application- and Map version.

An independent community for Traditional Chinese users
正體中文討論站: TomTomUsers.com

Message 2 of 7 (2,757 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
bconde

Left it on the home dock for 5 days.....then hit tiny reset button for 20 sec, then held power button for 20 secs.....no dice. The green 'charging' lite is on but unless I force the unit onto the docking connectors, it won't start up and TomTom say they will not repair this unit.

It is a great little unit and I like it a lot but I can't afford a new (or used) PND right now ......so I'll have to use my cell phone's navigator feature....much prefer the TomTom but if I can't get it fixed, it becomes a door stop.

Thanks for replying!

Bill

Message 3 of 7 (2,694 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
Haydn

Exact same symptoms with a 510 unit here, unable to power on after part way through a hard reset...

Message 4 of 7 (2,536 Views)
Please use plain text.
Stefan
Kudos: 1,039
Solutions: 222

It appears that the battery is malfunctioning because it doesn't stay charged after being recharged. The device powers on when forcing the unit on the docking station? As long the battery gets power through either the docking station or car charger (home charger) then you'll be able to keep using the navigation device.

Its possible to let the device stay connected to the car charger so you are able to use the unit.:smileywink:

TomTom Latest News - YouTube <> TomTom KeyNote Presentation 2013 - YouTube

Quick Travel Buttons

Navigation System - TomTom GO 500 (2013)
Driving with TomTom ~ Service and Comfort is our secret ~

NavKit

LifeTime Traffic (Smartphone)
LifeTime Maps (Europe)

MyDrive Connect Support Application
TomTom Discussions - User Agreement

Signature originally created by Stefan

Message 5 of 7 (2,528 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
Haydn

My unit does not power on when plugged into docking station, even after leaving on charge for 4+ hours.

Will remove the battery and see if it'll load without one plugged in tomorrow.

Message 6 of 7 (2,527 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
Haydn

Have another 510 here now so after playing around (i have changed batteries before on these) i've narrowed it down to the one unit not charging the battery. I can quite easily get it working by swapping the battery from the working 510 after leaving it to charge for a few hours on the docking station...

No visual damage to the external connectors or anything internal, guessing it is just down to wear and tear on the unit itself? Or possibly a fault on one of the internal circuit boards.

We have a couple of others currently being used, but certainly something we need to consider with any future problems reported.

Hope this info helps others :smileyhappy:

Message 7 of 7 (2,519 Views)
Please use plain text.