Novice Explorer
ptrekels

Bluetooth support GO 5000/6000

The 'always connected' 5000/6000 models contain a SIM card, but is it possible to remove/disable this SIM card and use the bluetooth of a smartphone like in the 400/500/600 models? Just as a backup option if the TomTom SIM has no network range ..

Message 1 of 14 (1,989 Views)
Please use plain text.
Stefan
Kudos: 1,043
Solutions: 222

Re: Bluetooth support GO 5000/6000

The Always Connected devices don't have bluetooth, the 5000/6000 devices depend on the sim card to receive traffic information.

The Always Connected and Smartphone Connected devices are two different types of models:

Always Connected - Requires the sim card for traffic information.

Smartphone Connected - Requires a smartphone for traffic information.

URL: How do you get TomTom Traffic on the all new TomTom GO?

Smartphone Connected

Lifetime TomTom Traffic - Smartphone Connected Get TomTom Traffic via your smartphone with Bluetooth® connection2. Your TomTom device is ready to receive traffic information by connecting to your smartphone via Bluetooth®.
Find out more and check if your smartphone is compatible.

Always Connected

Lifetime TomTom Traffic - Always Connected Drive with world-class TomTom Traffic, straight out of the box3. With no additional costs for roaming, Always Connected* is the simplest way to get real-time traffic information on your device.
Find out more.

What is Smartphone Connected?

Do you want to use your own smartphone to access TomTom Traffic on your navigation device? Then you need to choose a Smartphone Connected1 device.

Lifetime TomTom Traffic - Smartphone Connected

What is Always Connected?

Do you want the simplest way to get TomTom Traffic straight out of the box? Then you need to choose an Always Connected1 device.

Lifetime TomTom Traffic - Always Connected

Message 2 of 14 (1,980 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
ptrekels

Thanks for the answer! I know the basic properties of the models, and I know the always connected models do not really need bluetooth and have their own SIM to get on the data network ...

But I'm just thinking about options if I find the speed/coverage/quality of their SIM not good enough, or if the mobile operators start disabling GPRS on their networks in a couple of years (if it's correct that TT is using simple 2G GPRS modems in their devices), ... Will I be able to switch to bluetooth in these cases and ignore the fact that the GPS has it's own SIM? Or will I be able to switch the SIM for example ;-)

Can you confirm that the 5000/6000 software does not have the possibility to use the bluetooth way of working at this moment? Or can you even confirm that it will never have this feature because it simply lacks the BT hardware?

Message 3 of 14 (1,938 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
Papfox

My Go Live 1005 just died and I'm looking to replace it.

The 1005 is an always-connected device but also has Bluetooth. I want the own-sim functionality so it's not a drain on my smart phone and I don't have to worry about roaming charges but I also use the Bluetooth on the 1005 as a speaker phone. I was looking at getting a 5000 but can't believe they took the Bluetooth speakerphone away on a premium device costing that much.

:smileysad:
Message 4 of 14 (1,372 Views)
Please use plain text.
Lupus1
Topics: 21
Kudos: 1,596
Solutions: 320

Hi,

the GO x000 devices simply have no built-in bluetooth module so they won't be able to pair to any phone even if the software supports this.

Until now they use in Europe simple 2G GPRS modems. In the US where 2G gets already shut down they don't offer these devices but only the smartphone connected devices.

So currently if you fear for shutdown of 2G network you'll need to go for the smartphone connected devices which you'll be able to use if your phone allows bluetooth tethering. That you should check first. It'll also work with an old Nokia 6230i I can assure you as that one (being from Nokia) contains the PAN profile being needed. I tested that once with a GO 400 and it worked like a charm.

Regards
Lars.

TT XL•S LIVE IQ Routes Edition (Text-to-Speech)
map/Europe_North 875.3613
TT Start 60
map/Europe 910.4964
TT GO 6000
map/Europe 926.5515

TT Runner Cardio watch

TT Home 2.9.7.3256
MyDrive Connect 3.3.0.1317
MySports Connect 1.3.9
Win8 64bit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm no TT employee but just a customer trying to help
Message 5 of 14 (1,352 Views)
Please use plain text.
Supreme Navigator
Muenster

Papfox wrote:
The 1005 is an always-connected device but also has Bluetooth. I want the own-sim functionality so it's not a drain on my smart phone and I don't have to worry about roaming charges but I also use the Bluetooth on the 1005 as a speaker phone. I was looking at getting a 5000 but can't believe they took the Bluetooth speakerphone away on a premium device costing that much.

The logic behind this is, that a lot of modern cars have built-in bluetooth. I have had that in my last two cars, and I must say, that it is much better than all those aftermarket solutions incl. bluetooth in a GPS. But I can see, that if your car doesn't have bluetooth, it is a convenient and cheap way to get it. My wife's car has an aftermarket Parrot bluetooth thing. It is complicated, and the sound quality is, perhaps not bad, then far from perfect. And it's ugly and difficult to handle those extra devices, wires and a remote, where the battery wears out sometimes. And the price was about the same as a GO 6000, so it was not exactly cheap either.

Kind regards
Henrik Münster
Denmark
--
TomTom GO 6000
Message 6 of 14 (1,328 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
bjnorris

Its a shame there is no Bluetooth module in the 5000/6000 

I really wanted it to be able to communicate with my in car bluetooth so that the voice on TT overides the radio just as it does with my  TT app on my iphone

Message 7 of 14 (1,052 Views)
Please use plain text.
Staff
Julian

Hi,

thanks for your post, sorry to hear that.

I don't know if this is a solution for you, but it might be worth mentioning that your GO 5000/6000 could be mounted on our "active dock for fixed installation" (Link), which comes with a Line-out. You can connect this to your car radio in order to receive the instructions via your car speaker.

As this mount was not designed for this model, I must emphasize that we do not officialy support this solution. Nevertheless other customers report that this solution works just fine.

Cheers,

Julian

Help others identify useful content:
- Did someone answer your question? Click Accept as Solution
- Did someone post something helpful? Click the kudos
Message 8 of 14 (1,029 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
bjnorris

Thank for your prompt reply.

I have used that dock with a previous unit and it does work fine over the audio, providing that you select aux in on the system. However this then means that you cannot then use the radio or mp3. 

with a bluetooth enabled system the voice signal on most moden systems mutes whatever you are listening to at the time whilst TT gives directions.

Of course on the other hand having TT connected via Bluetooth means that you cant pair another device so you then cannot use your mobile on hands free unless TT also has this ability built in as well...

On the plus side the  TT5000 does seem to have a very load volume level compared to its predecessors.

Brian

Message 9 of 14 (999 Views)
Please use plain text.
Staff
Julian

Hi Brian,

thanks for your reply.

I have little time at the moment, nevertheless I wanted to comment on that:

Unfortunately there are many BT standards out there, which in consequence led to numerous compatability issues in various ways... The fact that you only can pair one device add a time adds to that of course. As we did not want you to be frustrated due to quality/connectivity/compatability issues, we decided that this was not the ideal solution for us and for you.

We had tried to implement a FM transmitter in previous models, however that turned out to be a legal issue: In some countries it is forbidden to "block" a certain frequency if this frequency is not being used for constant transmission, meaning that our navigation instructions, which of course are not transmitted constantly, were potentally problematic in this regard, so we were forced to discontinue that.

I hope you understand that it is also not easy for us to find a flawless solution for this, however we are always looking for ways to offer you a solution that is easy to use. Hopefully we will be able to offer a better solution in the future.

Regards,

Julian

Help others identify useful content:
- Did someone answer your question? Click Accept as Solution
- Did someone post something helpful? Click the kudos
Message 10 of 14 (991 Views)
Please use plain text.