Novice Explorer
sprouts

via 1500 updates

have been downloading updates for via 1500 for over 12 hours now. this product is both challenging and frustrating. i have never owned a gps till this one. i am not impressed with tom tom at all. i have installed tom tom on my laptop. recently notified there were updates to be installed. connected device to usb port and turned it on. updates began automatically hours ago. i went to bed... this morning noted internet connection (broadband) lost at some point overnight. cleared router cache and reconnected to internet. downloads continued. while watching download times they are really screwy. time left for download example... 3hr then 9 then 12 then 7 then 15 etc..(no consistent decrease in time). download percentage remains pretty constant. there must be an easier and time friendly way to get updates. since download times went up and down how will i know if the download is correct if it ever completes? received this tom tom as a gift. will never purchase tom tom product for myself or anyone else. unit is not user friendly. going on 12+ hours now...

Message 1 of 35 (1,210 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt
Kudos: 2,291
Solutions: 537

Re: via 1500 updates

Could be issue with your ISP, firewall, antivirus, browser, other software running on the laptop (torrent download, etc). Could be problem with TT server also.

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Report map errors (MSR Tool - link)
Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE
How to contact TomTom's Customer Services (link)
TomTom's Customer Services numbers (thx Niall) (link)
How to soft reset your device (link)

I am NOT a TomTom employee, just a user like others.
Message 2 of 35 (1,197 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
sprouts

isp is comcast broadband cable on secure wireless home network. if i had to disable firewall and antivirus (what tom tom suggested) my computer would be vulnerable to attacks for many hours (due to long download time 15+ hours). not willing to compromise my system. i have used IE and firefox both without any success. no torrent downloads. nothing else running on computer during download time. don't know what a tt server is? i wonder if this is a common problem with all tom tom gps's. one would think connecting device to usb port and running download would be a simple task to accomplish especially if it's the only program running. one ought not to have to reconfigure a laptop system to accomplish timely, desired results. thanks for suggestions:smileyhappy:

Message 3 of 35 (1,188 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt

It wasn't the quickest ever, but not 15+ hours either. Even with NavCore and map updates. Hard to say what else can be. MyTomTom should download the updates to cache even without the unit connected.

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE

Message 4 of 35 (1,177 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
bmcc333

After my latest update this gps takes forever to see a satelite. What is so hard about letting people choose to reinstall the operating system without having the website tell you that your device is up to date and blocking any attempt to reload. With such a long download, of course there are going to be problems. Also my manage content tells me I am not subscribed to red light camera updates and gives a dead end link to go shop but the welcome screen tells me I get them for free.

I am having to put my old 60 dollar garmin in the trunk because this 160 dollar gps has stranded both my wife and me. This is extremely frustrating and there are so many examples of shoddy product support besides the hardware/software issues. At this point I would never recomment tomtom to anyone.  

Message 5 of 35 (1,151 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt

Did you login on your device with your LIVE/Tomtom account?

Message 6 of 35 (1,146 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
bmcc333

yes I used my tom tom

Message 7 of 35 (1,143 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt

But did you put your e-mail and password in your PND, under the settings/my tomtom account?

Message 8 of 35 (1,140 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
bmcc333

pnd? There is no where to put my email in the desktop version of mytomtom and the internet version shows my email address and has me logged in. In the mytomtom account details it shows all my information.

I have spent at least 5-6 hours trying to make this thing get a satelite signal while ignoring the fact that the keypad works only when it wants to. I bought it in october and by our Christmas trip it was acting up. It will put in 3-5 characters instead of 1, it will choose home instead of favorites or vice versa and when trying to choose a favorite it grabs anything by the down arrow.

I have requested an RMA and hope the next one or this one repaired will be better. I have to carry my old 60 dollar becker (previously said garmin) with us now because it works even if the maps are 5 yrs old. From my point of view I have basically wasted 160 dollars, been late for an important medical procedure,  had my wife stranded and lost a day of my life because this company can't figure out how to update its software or design a keypad

Message 9 of 35 (1,129 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt

Maybe the touch screen is faulty or lost the calibration.

As for your details, you have to enter it on your Tomtom, not just on the computer. Settings menu,MyTomTom account sub-menu.

Message 10 of 35 (1,126 Views)
Please use plain text.