Neophyte Traveler
jacka

tomtom VIA 1435 TM does not connect to tomtom home

Hi, my tomtom VIA 1435 TM does not connect to tomtom home, however, it does connect to My tomtom. Is there a prob with my device or does the VIA 1435 not connect to tomtom home? I wanted to download celeb voices as well. How do I do that for this product? Thanks for your time.

Message 1 of 8 (2,527 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
infofrog

Re: tomtom VIA 1435 TM does not connect to tomtom home

I had same problem .

This is the answer i got .

Whatever you do, TomTom Home never will detect the VIA navigation device, because the newest models (VIA, GO, Sony XNV) devices use the myTomTom software to manage and update the navigation devices.

All you need is the myTomTom software. It isn't possible yet to make a full backup in myTomTom and TomTom Home cannot be used as a alternative way to make a backup or install new content. Everything has to be done with the myTomTom software.

myTomTom is web-based, also the newest devices connect to the computer with a lan connection and the hard drive of the unit cannot be accessed anymore with the computer. All content is encrypted in a way that only TomTom know how to access the devices with the use of the myTomTom software. Because of this, the myTomTom software is all that you need to manage and update the navigation device.

The webpage that takes care of the updates requires to have the myTomTom software installed. You can however safely uninstall the TomTom Home software (because only the myTomTom software is required for your unit which works in conjunction with the update page).

Message 2 of 8 (2,521 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
infofrog

2 nd  answer

TomTom doesn't warn by email when a new version is out when a new navigator version would be available. When the device is being plugged into the computer before, then it isn't necessary anymore to connect the device to the computer to check if updates are available.

myTomTom 'remembers' the serial number of the device and checks if updates are available, when a new update is available, the myTomTom icon in the system tray changes to a grey icon with a blue arrow next to it. You can then right click onto the myTomTom icon, and select 'download updates'. The myTomTom software opens the webupdate page in the browser where you have to select the wanted download.

All downloads can be downloaded without having to connect the device to the computer yet. All downloads are downloaded into the 'cache folder' onto your computer. When the download is completed, the installation will begin when the device is connected next time to the computer.

The cache folder path can be set by right clicking onto the myTomTom icon, and select 'settings'. Go to the tab 'cache', here you can select where the downloads should be downloaded onto the computer or leave the default map.

All updates are rolled out in stages (don't know why this is done).

The latest version for the VIA and GO series is 10.200.xxxx

Its possible to see what the latest version is for the navigator

Click here to find out what has been changed in the newest Navigator version

If you aren't being offered the latest version while it is available for a longer period of time, please contact customer support

TomTom Support Page (click here to go to TomTom Support Page)

If you wish to find out what has been changed in the latest version of myTomTom

Click here for 'myTomTom Changes'

It isn't necessary to go to the update page to check for updates, the myTomTom software warns when updates are available for the software or for your navigation device. It turns into a grey icon with a blue arrow next to it.

If you havent done already, its possible to keep your maps up to date with a mapupdate service subscription or purchasing a map seperately

Message 3 of 8 (2,519 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
jacka

Thanks for your indepth reply back, I greatly appreciate it. I'm new to using the navigation system, so thanks for being helpful. I was also wondering if you can answer my next question?Does the application number also stand for the Navigator number? When I go into settings, on my Tomtom VIA 1435, the APP number is 10,157.xxxxxx.xx, with the update by the mytomtom is that number suppose to be 10.200.698576? Or is it suppose to stay at 10,157.xxxxxx.xx. I did update my VIA 1435 and the number is still 10.157.xxxxx.xx. Is this what the number should appear or should the number be something else? Please let me know thanks.

Message 4 of 8 (2,509 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
kzdkq7

I still don't see an answer to the original question as to how to upload voices or splash screens.  From what I can tell, you can only upload POIs with my TomTom right now.

Message 5 of 8 (2,465 Views)
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Wayfarer
mdscott

kzdkq7 wrote:

I still don't see an answer to the original question as to how to upload voices or splash screens.  From what I can tell, you can only upload POIs with my TomTom right now.

That is correct - mds

TT 2535 TM WTE
TT Go 920 T
Message 6 of 8 (2,459 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
vector74

I know a couple things about computers, but the TT VIA 1435TM is impossible.  Everything points to using TOMTOM HOME, but it does not connect. (Thanks to those that generously shared that information, Tomtom will not admit it.)  Go to Google Maps or Mapquest where the applications connect to, you guessed it, GARMIN.  Why would anyone in their right mind buy a TomTom?  It will not even connect to it's own software?  Give us all a break TomTom, GO OUT OF BUSINESS!   Be assured, the folks at TomTom don't "get it."  I  would be willing to bet they are smart enough to mostly have Garmin systems in their cars.  Oh, the discount coupon it came with did not work either!  The routes it maps are terrible, so you must use Mapquest or Google Maps before even thinking about relying on your costly TomTom.  Reliable routes from your computer app cannot be loaded on your Tomtom. I tried every conceivable way to get my TomTom to communicate with my computer.  NOT POSSIBLE.  Oh, if you get it as a present, try to get the receipt and take it back -- immediately!   

Message 7 of 8 (628 Views)
Please use plain text.
AndiAndi
Kudos: 1,316
Solutions: 336

[ Edited ]

Hi vector74,

Welcome to the forum!

How about trying MyTomTom instead of TomTom Home? (see Post 2) :smileywink:

http://www.tomtom.com/getstarted

In case of problems follow these instructions: