Neophyte Explorer
mumusik

map update fails on GO 2535 TM WTE

Bought GO 2535 TM WTE in August. When installed My Tomtom and connected the device to PC it was showing that 2 map updates are availbale to me: 870 and 875. Since 875 was the latest I checked that one to be installed on my unit. Downloading and update was successful. But when I reconnected the unit to PC it was still showing that 875 is still available for update. I checked the map version on the unit and it was 870, not 875 I selected. When I tried to update to 875 it came up with the message that "Something has gone wrong this my divice. Please contact CS." I tried this on different PCs with different OS on them, with anti-virus and firewall being disabled, cleared the cache, rebooted the GPS, reinstalled My Tomtom, tried different browsers (IE, Firefox, Chrome). There is no problem with downloading the map. Download is fine, takes just about 30 minutes. When it comes to actual installation it either fails right away, or keeps showing the progress bar without any real progress and can stay like that for hours. My brother got VIA 1535 TM and he was able to upgrade his device on my PC using his account without any problems. Whenever I contact Tomtom for support I get the standard answer: "Please wait for a week or two and their will be a new SW upgrade, that will fix all the issues". And I am getting this answer since August. Looks like those guys don't have any ideas about this problem and are not really willing to help people with their issues. Any suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Message 1 of 32 (1,731 Views)
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Wayfarer
rv_vadtomtom

Re: map update fails on GO 2535 TM WTE

Hi,

I'm not sure than you can do this but if possible, you can try :

- with MyTomTom, try to backup your map v870

- uninstall this map

- disconnect and reconnect your device to your computer.

When reconnected, maybe you will be able to download the 875 version.

RV

Message 2 of 32 (1,726 Views)
Please use plain text.
laz45
Kudos: 354

hey mumusik,

I'll look into this and see if I can get you an answer for now let's try a couplethings and see

if we can get you going.

You've taken a few steps that most would advise already so lets just dot the I's...

First,right click MyTomTom in the task bar, go to settimgs/connection...get it off of port 4000

if you haven't already.Even the upload to your device can slowed,stopped or corrupted through this port...

go to 5000,4001 anything,just get off of 4000.Test the connection.

After hook up your gps and try again.

When you're connected did you look in the check for new items section when you saw the available maps?The reason I'm asking is I want to know if there was also an update of your navigator software.That needs to be installed first.

It's possible that the maps are installing in succession and the software version needs to bi installed before 875..

From here I/we need a little more info IF you can get it.What browser you are using now(maybe a settings tweak) and if you can get any info off your gps it would help to know what you can find there,just to eliminate unnecessary steps in trying to get you working...

If your brother managed we know that it can be done,I'll look into what may have caused yours to stop the upload.

Remember,your device works as a network connection not a mass storage.Keep that in mind while we look for a solution so we don't lose focus on your problem...

Start here,I'll go look into possible causes and we can update eachother as we look through...

Others will chime in with ideas also,write down everything as you go through the steps..I'll be back in a little bit.

Good luck,check back soon

Help others identify useful content:
- Did someone answer your question? Click Accept as Solution
- Did someone post something helpful? Click the kudos star

Go Live 1535M
App 12.035.991250.84
USA_Can_Mex map v895.4454
MyTomTom v3.1.0.530
Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit
Internet Explorer 9

Message 3 of 32 (1,725 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
mumusik

Hi laz45,

I've already tried to change the port to 5000 and 4001. It didn't help. Here is what currently installed on my device:

App 10.501.739168.84 (0) (2042, 9/9/2011), OS 714611

GPS 2.16.201 88313, Boot 642776

Map: 'USA_Canada_and_Mexico' v870.3404, Release date: 4/2011

Language: English US

Currently I am using Firefox v7.0.1 as default browser. I have tried IE8, IE 9 (32-bit set it to be compatible with IE8) and Chrome v14.0.835.202 m as well. Made no difference to me. My PC is Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I tried Windows XP as well. Hope this info helps. Thanks

Message 4 of 32 (1,718 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
PaKerney

I have exactly the same model and I have been subjected to the same problem, namely downloading map 8.75, but getting version 8.70 instead.  Any attempts to get the latest are the same:  map downloads OK but fails to install with the same "Something is Wrong..." messages on both my device and PC.  I have the latest Navigator, the latest My Tomtom, and I am running Windows XP SP3 with both IE8 and Firefox 7.01.  Any solution that works for the gentleman who sarted this thread should, hopefully, work for me.  The device is excellent and works at least as well as I have hoped it would, but the inability to easily update something as basic and important as the map is frustrating.  Interestingly, I had no problem with downloading and installing the recent traffic camera update. 

Message 5 of 32 (1,707 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
mumusik

I didn't have any issues updating the traffic cameras either. It's only about new maps. I also noticed, that when I try to update the map through "Manage content" it shows that I have 8.35 GB of memory used and 1.06 GB free. That makes total more than 9 GB, while the device has only 8GB of internal memory total. It seems to me that it's a kind of memory usage issue (corrupted internal memory?). Plus also it seems that it can't delete the old map in order to install the new one. I found an interesting posting (see below). This could be a solution for others as well.

PlainDark
Master Explorer
Re: Map Update Faliure Message "Something has gone wrong"[ Edited ]                                
Options
14-08-2011 10:53 AM - last edited on 01-09-2011 07:35 PM

THE MAP INSTALLATION ISSUE CAN BE RESOLVED. Within 5 weeks I have had 3 Start 25's. The first 2
were not offered the map update (version on device 8.65, version on TomTom website 8.70). When
TomTom CS staff solved this, the installations failed. Both devices were returned faulty as
authorised by TomTom CS. The 3rd was offered the map, but again installation failure. Within
seconds of starting the install the same message appeared on all 3 devices: 'Something has gone
wrong....Check your computer for more information'. Hovering over TomTom icon in the systray it
reads: 'Something has gone wrong with your navigation device. Please contact Customer Support.' All
3 were offered the Navigator software updates and these downloaded and installed without any
problems at all.
I have tried everything: Used different PC's, all hard wired to the internet, Win 7 32 & 64 bit,
logged in as 'admin', had all security software
disabled or not even installed, Firewalls etc turned off, used rear USB connection of PC for
connection of device. Re-installed the MyTomTom software countless times, cleared the cache of that
software even more often, deleted the HOME3 folder (a hidden folder, but path is shown under cache
settings of MyTomTom icon). Used different e-mail addresses to register device. Was at times twice
daily on the phone to TomTom CS. Written many e-mails. CS staff reset my account, allocated new
maps several times. All to no avail. Map downloaded fine, however installations failed. Many of
these things were suggested by the countless CS staff I dealt with. All extremely friendly and
patient and very willing to help. However they appear not to know what the real problem is and all
advise you to do the same thing over and over or reset the account for you, etc. All of which does
not work.
FINALLY YESTERDAY RESULT: the TomTom CS discussed my problems with her 'level 2' team member. After
which she advised me they had found some sort of 'out of memory' issue with my device. It's like the device saying there is no space on the sat nav (which of course is silly - it has got 4GB). The great thing is with these
new devices that TomTom can access them remotely (without having access to your PC). Remotely they
completely wiped off the old map (took mere seconds) and hey presto: the new map downloaded in
under 25 min (20MB cable connection) and installed in just under half an hour. Checked map version: 8.70. They
confirmed these installation issues would not happen in the future. Having read the issues other
people have had with this on various forums as well as shopping review sites, I have asked the
TomTom CS staff to be this 'drastic' with all those out there having the same issues. I wish they
had done this straight away with my first device. Would have solved a lot of headaches for everyone
involved! I really like the Start 25 and I am glad I persisted. I would advise anyone with the same
problem to mention the above to the CS staff. There is definitely a solution, just not everyone at
TomTom seems to be aware.

Yep solved: It looks like TomTom got it sorted. 8.75 is out and downloaded in about 40 min (20MB cable connection) and installed in around 30 min. I only partly disabled my security software (antvirus + firewall), used a front USB
port on PC to hook up device and used IE 9 (32bit). It looks like the PC settings have little to do
with the issues. It must have been an issue at TomTom's side. Well done TomTom for finally sorting
out these update/install problems.

Message 6 of 32 (1,700 Views)
Please use plain text.
laz45

Well mumusik,I won't try and tell you that your device is doing the same exact thing,and that your resolve isn't the same as in the post you listed.Your Navigator version is correct and your device seems to have an inordinate amount of memory used.

Make sure you aren't on a wireless internet connection,you should be wired for downloads.But,you already got one map on it,seems just not complete.

I would say recontact TomTom again and ask them to connect Remotely and flash your device.Be firm but nice.If you can get them to do this you may be able to restart the download and get it finished.If not get an RMA# and send it in.There are a couple more things to check but you have already gotten some down and uploading so you most likely have things ready on your end.

PaKerney,read through this thread and compare your devices software versions to those list by mumusik.If your version of Navigator is current list the rest and let me know.

Best of luck,let me know...

Go Live 1535M
App 12.035.991250.84
MyTomTom v3.1.0.530
Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit
Internet Explorer 9

Message 7 of 32 (1,689 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
PaKerney

Read all the replies since I last posted.  My device, firmware and map are exactly the same as that of MuMusik.  Using the information that i have read, I tried all the suggestions with no success.  I called TomTom customer service Friday and he told me that should not use IE or Firefox, but to download Google Chrome and use it.  If it still did not work, I should take advantage of  Best Buy's optional replacement plan, which I purchased, and exchange it for a new device, making it my third 2535!!  When I informed him of your suggestions of getting him to remotely flash my device and attempt the download, he told me that they are forbidden to do that and replacement of the hardware was still my best option.  I can see what I'll be doing nest week.

I can't tell you how disappointing this all is.  After several years of satisfaction with my Go 910, an upgrade was in order.  The Go 2535TM WTE has worked extremely well in a number of situations since I purchased it last August, but, judging from all the posts that I have read in the various forums on this site, it is far too obvious that the MyTomTom software and processing has not been as clearly thought out and implemented as well as it should have been. Let me add my voice to the chorus hoping for a rapid correction of all the bugs in the process.

Message 8 of 32 (1,650 Views)
Please use plain text.
laz45

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help with this PaKerney.This would be the limit of what I can accomplish for you....

It is a rare instance for TomTom to do that for you,and it seems to only be in what they consider extreme cases.Definately

not an ability I have....

Before you return it,are you using a wireless internet connection? Is there any possibility of an interference there?

Also,router/access device configurations can interupt down/uploads....

Go Live 1535M
App 12.035.991250.84
MyTomTom v3.1.0.530
Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit
Internet Explorer 9

Message 9 of 32 (1,648 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
PaKerney

I do have a wireless connection.  However, it never interfered with the downloading and installing of map version 870 over 865.  Same with the street camera update. I also make sure that the screensaver is disabled, as that can apparently throw off the installation.  Another thing I was told by technical support is that if the screensaver or other type of interruption occurs during an update of the Navigator software, it can corrupt some files, resulting in a general malfunction of the device from which there may not be any recovery, thus necessitating a hardware return.  My educated guess is that that is what happened to my first 2535 when it spontaneously wiped everything while I was out using it.  Scary.  So far, no such occurrance with my second sample.

The other information I have learned is that when the hardware is replaced and one wants to use the same TomTom account, it is best to call technical support and have them completely remove the old device from the account, something that was possible with TomTom Home, but not with MyTomTom.  One of the possible bugs in the system is that, when you follow the prompts yourself when replacing using MyTomTom, one may not get a complete deletion and replacement with new device with new serial number at TomTom's side, and that might affect downloading, so, once I obtain my third 2535, I will be calling technical support for deletion of my second 2535 before I try to install it.  If I still can't get updates to work, I'll have to admit that Garmin will be looking very attractive.

Incidentally, has anyone noticed this?  Often I will accept any new software beta that gets released.  I had received at least on since the current gold version was available.  It looks like, since TomTom is apparently hard at work fixing things, all beta versions are no longer available and I seem to have only the same 3.1.0.432 generally availabel everywhere.

Thanks for all your advice and help, laz45, and let's see what new thrills and spills I get with 2535 sample number 3

Message 10 of 32 (1,625 Views)
Please use plain text.