Neophyte Explorer
smokey
Accepted Solution

Voice control cannot be used for the currently selected country. PLEASE HELP!

OK.... This is my second 1535TM and this is my second major issue with the product. When I purchased my original via 1535TM, I tried to update the maps on it, it erased the original map then refused to install the newest one... Pretty much turned it into a $200 paper weight... So I took it back to best buy, exchanged it for a new one... Thought my problems were solved until I once again tried to update it. Upon updating to the most recent software release and the newest maps (USA, Canada, and Mexico) everything seemed fine... Until I pressed my voice control button. Now every time I start my device, manually enter an address... Or touch anything on the screen,it says "stopping voice control". When I press the voice control button, it says "voice control cannot be used for the currently selected country" I have read all the suggestions by the moderators here and tried them all, nothing has fixed this problem yet. My device info is as follows:

Device:bm5141a01282 (0) (14.7)

App 12.035.991250.84 (0) (2012,6/16/2012), OS 981015

GPS 2.18.903 127792, Boot 642776

Map: 'USA_Canada_and_Mexico' v890.4243, release date: 4/2012

Language: English US

I bought this GPS because I had previously owned a tomtom one, and I never had a single problem with it, I got a job as a delivery driver so I upgraded to a unit with voice control to make entering addresses faster and easier. It is extremely disappointing and saddening that a company as big as TomTom, is having issues THIS big after THIS long. There have been major issues with the via, live, and go models since they were first released and the problems only seem to be compounding... TRY TESTING YOUR SOFTWARE BEFORE RELEASING IT!

PS. I know IM posting this topic in the wrong area, I searched and searched for the via category, its not even listed under car navigation on the website, and the only references to the via series I've found are for the 110/120/130/135 models... Mine is a Via 1535TM.

P.P.S. TomTom... Seriously.... You are a HUGE corporation, you have millions of customers that depend on your products daily... With an item such as a GPS, a persons life could very likely be at stake, or their job, or an important meeting. People depend on your products to get them from point A to point B with as little trouble inbetween as possible. Stop trying to add new features, stop trying to make them look all shiney and sophisticated... MAKE THEM WORK RIGHT FIRST. All the bells and whistles in the world don't mean crap when the main function of a device doesn't work. Stop throwing together crappy software updates without testing them thoroughly first. Or even better yet... Fire all your retarded software developers and hire some people that actually know what they're doing. There is NO excuse for this many massive problems with not just one product but several in several different series, keep releasing untested, unproven crap like this, and mark my words, your company will be out of business in less than 2 years

Message 1 of 76 (9,755 Views)
Please use plain text.
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

Re: Voice control cannot be used for the currently selected country. PLEASE HELP!

Did you try a drum reset on the unit? Hold the power buttons about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds.

-------------------------------------------
I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. .....I am not a TomTom employee.
Message 2 of 76 (9,744 Views)
Please use plain text.
jtonline-1005
Kudos: 75

Re: Voice control cannot be used for the currently selected country. PLEASE HELP!

smokey wrote:

...Upon updating to the most recent software release and the newest maps (USA, Canada, and Mexico) everything seemed fine... Until I pressed my voice control button. Now every time I start my device, manually enter an address... Or touch anything on the screen,it says "stopping voice control". When I press the voice control button, it says "voice control cannot be used for the currently selected country" ...

There would appear to be a bug with the latest update in combination with the latest USA/Canada/Mexico map.

See here: http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/GO-800-1000-2000-Via-Start-20/GO-2535-TM-WTE-quot-Voice-control-not... where member TheWidowsSon says that Customer Support provided  him with a map that excludes Mexico until the voice control bug is fixed.

My current device: GO LIVE 1005 Europe v2
TomTom Active Dock for fixed installation
atFoliX FX Anti-reflection screen protection foil

(Ex user of other TomTom devices)

Please help other TomTom Community members identify useful content by clicking the Kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the Accepted Solution.

Blog ¦ Twitter
Message 3 of 76 (9,740 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
iwassupergirl

I'm having the same problem - it's so busy telling me that it's stopping voice control (repeatedly) that it's not processing fast enough to give relevant driving instructions. Annoying doesn't even begin to describe it. 

In other news, when I put in a destination, prior to showing directions, it shows that there's no route from here to there. Then it immediately shows the route. Are you having that happen, too?

Message 4 of 76 (9,676 Views)
Please use plain text.
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

What model do you have and is the battery fully charged?

I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. .....I am not a TomTom employee.
Message 5 of 76 (9,675 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
iwassupergirl

It's a Via. Not sure about the battery. I don't think it's charging consistently because it turns itself off on its own. 

Message 6 of 76 (9,673 Views)
Please use plain text.
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

I'd focus on why the battery isn't getting a full charge. Connection in the car isn't solid (either end) ??

If you use the cable and connect to the computer, do you still get the Voice Control getting disabled? When a battery is running low, one of the first functionalities on a unit to cease is anything to do with voice, especially computer voice.

Message 7 of 76 (9,673 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
srmarti

I just got here looking for an answer for the voice control on my Via 1530.   The drum reset has apparently worked in this instance.

Message 8 of 76 (9,588 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
VaderKnight

I was having the same issue with the voice control, TomTom Via 1535.  The drum reset worked great, thanks!

Message 9 of 76 (9,582 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
olpaddler

yes, after searching the website and online manual for HOURS, and resetting to factory settings (losing all data) I resorted to looking for a phone number for support.  Somehow got to the forum and found the brilliant answer..press off and wait for the tom toms!! worked great, BUT why not add the solve to the troubleshoot at the website?

Message 10 of 76 (9,561 Views)
Please use plain text.