h2o
Novice Explorer
h2o

Via 1400

I like using my new Via 1400.  It is a great improvement over my old unit.  However, after many emails back and forth with the support department, I am unable to access the lifetime map updates. I sent several emails detailing what I had done and It would appear that the person at the other end was not reading them.  I kept getting told to install My Tom Tom when I specifically said that I had uninstalled and installed it over and over.  I was told that I had to send proof of purchase and proof of the promotion for the lifetime map updates and they would be manually added to my account.  I did that and the list of instructions that were returned to me did not relate to solving the problem, so I gave up. 

Today I connected the Via to the computer to access the 3 updates that are indicated and they will not download.  A brief message appears to keep the unit connected for updates, but nothing happens.  I am close to throwing the unit out and getting another brand.

Is anyone else encountering problems with this unit?

Message 1 of 16 (4,618 Views)
Please use plain text.
Community Manager
Ditte

Re: Via 1400

Hi h2o,

I've checked your account and can confirm that you have your lifetime maps available for download.

Have you had a read in MarZe thread ?

There are some excellent advice on how to update your device. Also I'm sure if you search around here on the board, you will find a number of well written walk-throughs to follow :smileyhappy:

Let us know how it goes :smileyhappy:

All the best,

Ditte

Need help with your TomTom device?
Add details about the TomTom device to your post: Device name, Application- and Map version.
Message 2 of 16 (4,609 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
Jon5798

Hey I have a VIA 1400, do I have lifetime maps available for download as well? Seems only fare.
Message 3 of 16 (4,541 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
GAFH

Same issue here h2o

Few days ago my computer-installed-program indicated an update, I plug the Via 1430 and took forever... to then say "It seems there was a problem...  don't disconnect the device"... left it as long as I could but I needed my laptop! Disconnected... and now the GPS has NO maps and worse... my computer doesn;t recognize the GPS so it's the device is useless and isolated! Called support, they offered me to send the GPS (at my expense) with proof of purchase, etc...

Haven't done that just yet, I will ask other people with laptops to try to connect the GPS and see if my laptop was the one that got sick of the GPS  (lol)...

Anybody knows how to do a master reset of the device, to try to make it react?

Message 4 of 16 (4,537 Views)
Please use plain text.
h2o
Novice Explorer
h2o

I felt that the MarZe thread was far too complicated and unnecessary, so I ignored the problem.  I had spent far too many hours and would have been farther ahead to just buy the map updates.  I don't travel very often, but the last time I used the unit it notified me that my current maps are out of date.  I plugged the unit into the computer to see what would happen this time.  The icon on the desktop tells me that there are no updates for my unit.    I signed into Mytomtom and found that the map updates appear to be available.  However I cannot access the updates because I am told that I need to install Mytomtom which is already installed.  Nothing that I tried would get around this. 

Message 5 of 16 (4,527 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
hamster1950

Have just bought Via 130 and very impressed. Trying to upload proof of purchase onto emails sent from TomTom for lifrtime free maps offer. Browse button loads location of my pdf file location, but does not work. Would be nice to talk to someone or have a contact email please.

Message 6 of 16 (3,254 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
cockerbill

having same problem trying to update proof of purchase,nothing happens when i try to send picture of receipt.any ideas
Message 7 of 16 (3,174 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
rkin

Re: Via 1400 ( VIA 1400M )

My TomTom 1400M arrived today, and I'm trying to get familiar with it.

I'm already thinking it would be a good idea to get an SD Memory Card.

The slot on the back of the GPS sure looks small :smileyfrustrated:

Where did you buy your memory card, and what kind is it?

Message 8 of 16 (2,933 Views)
Please use plain text.
AndiAndi
Kudos: 1,318
Solutions: 336

Re: Via 1400 ( VIA 1400M )

[ Edited ]

Hi rkin, Welcome to the forum!

Your Via 1400 supports microSD cards up to 32MB. You will get it in every well sorted electronic shop or online shop. Just google for microSD.

But for the beginning there is no need for additional memory. Only when you want to buy additional maps than the preinstalled one.

Best is to start here: https://tomtom.com/en_us/mytomtom/getstarted/ and follow the instructions given there.

Done this have a view into your manual: http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/non-LIVE/TomTom-US-non-LIVE-RG-en-us.pdf  :smileywink:

Have fun!

Andreas

MyDrive Connect 3.3.0.1502
Message 9 of 16 (2,928 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
larry11111

The Via 1400 is no longer listed on the TomTom site -- is it no longer supported?

And does "lifetime maps" mean the life of the device according to Tom Tom?

I'm stuck with a device that cannot be updated???

I don't understand the lack of support on this product.

Message 10 of 16 (1,979 Views)
Please use plain text.