Neophyte Explorer
jlm15z
Accepted Solution

VIA 1405 in Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

I have been able to attach my Via 1405 to my Windows 7 Pro PC by downloading the Windows XP mode from the Microsoft site. I haven't been able to find this posted anywhere else so I have started this topic. I'm no expert so I don't know how to provide detailed instructions. I imagine any VIA-type unit that uses MyTomTom (NOT HOME) and doen't work on Windows 7 64-bit may also be to use this as a work-around.

(I still think it would be better if TomTom provided 64-bit drivers.)

Not all versions of Windows 7 64-bit support XP Mode. (I have Pro).

Message 1 of 10 (1,073 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
BSB

Re: VIA 1405 in Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Even the lowly win 7 home has compatibility mode for programs to run in XP (or less) mode.

Yours was a relativly new find in the many solutuions to getting things working though.

WELL DONE !

Your cheque is in the post.....

TomTom putting the FUN into DisFUNktional
TT VIA 1535................................. (Under development)

Message 2 of 10 (1,071 Views)
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Wayfarer
Sellador

I'm not sure if this is something specific to the Via 1405, but it's not that TomTom doesn't have 64-bit drivers. The MyTomTom app works fine on my Windows 7 Pro 64-bit computer with my Go 2535M Live. While I wish they'd get the rest of the features done, it runs reliably for the features it does have. It's possible that the Via may take a different driver than the 2535, or there may just be some compatibility issue with another driver or application in your system. These things are the devil to troubleshoot because there are so many variables.

Message 3 of 10 (1,067 Views)
Please use plain text.
Stefan
Kudos: 1,044
Solutions: 222

Don't have any issues running the myTomTom Support Application on Windows 7 Ultimate (64 Bit) edition.

As previously mentioned, myTomTom has support drivers for 64 Bit Operating Systems since they are included in the setup package. Because there are many types of computers and hardware / software combinations, it may be something related to a specific configuration setting, preventing the myTomTom program from working normally.

Message 4 of 10 (1,061 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
jlm15z

Whenever I try to install MyTomTom in the 64-bit mode I get the "source files missing" error message. The MyTomTom software runs but says the device isn't connected. Windows 7 device manager sees the VIA 1405 but says there are no drivers. This is why I assumed there were no 64-bit compatible drives.

I tried the XP-compatible setting when re-installing "MyTomTom" and received the same error message.

I tried calling customer support several times and talked to different people but most of them didn't seem to understand the difference between the "Tom Tom HOME" and "MyTomTom" programs. Many of them can only adivse to un-install and re-install over and over. Several also don't undrstand about drivers as they keep telling me to look under "My Computer" to find a USB Storage Device. As you know the VIA 1405 is listed as a network adapter.

When I finally found someone that seemed to know what I was talking about she said VIAs do have problems with Windows 7 64-bit (and Visa 64-bit). This is another reason I assumed there are no 64-bit compatible drivers.

She also asked if I have an XP machine to keep my unit up to date. That is what I have been doing.

After a while I decided to try installing under "Windows XP Mode - Windows Virtual PC" and it worked.

Message 5 of 10 (1,025 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
jlm15z

[ Edited ]

Message 6 of 10 (982 Views)
Please use plain text.
Stefan
Kudos: 1,044
Solutions: 222

Everyone from the community voluntary help each other on the forums. Sometimes a answer may not be given because the advice mostly is based on own experiences with the navigation devices, or a correct answer to a specific issue may not be known yet.

Message 7 of 10 (978 Views)
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Wayfarer
Sellador

jlm15z wrote:

Amazing. Whenever someone complains about the "source files missing" error message everyone seems to go quiet.

Dude, we're just users like you. If one of us knew what to do about that error, we'd have said so. Besides, you said you had solved your problem by using XP mode. If it's still not working, then all I can suggest is to get back with TT tech support and ask to have your case elevated.

Message 8 of 10 (971 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
jlm15z

My apologies. I'm new to forums and not sure how it is supposed to work. I didn't know it was only users and no TomTom people. To say the least the TomTom people haven't been a very helpful these last few months and it has left me feeling a bit angry.

Again I'm sorry for my bad manners.

Message 9 of 10 (957 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
jlm15z

After a year I finally got my Via 1405 to work with Win 7 64bit. Maybe this will work for some of the others out there:

First I tried following the steps given by YamFazMan in the "TomTom not compatible with Windows 7 64bit?!...." topic but still got the source files not found error, but it gave me an idea.

I mentioned before I have been keeping my TomTom updated by running it in the Virtual XP mode. I opened the device manager in XP to see what the drivers are and found the 1405 is using two files located on the hard drive at c:/windows/system32/drivers. The files are "rndismpx.sys" (note: the first two letters are r and n) and "usb8023x.sys". I looked in the same folder on the Win 7 hard drive and found these files were NOT there. (There is something close, but not the same files.) I did a search on my hard drive and found the files in a different location. I copied the files into c:/windows/system32/drivers and followed the steps given by YamFazMan and it worked! I've been able to get the latest update and backup my POIs on the hard drive. So at least for me the "missing source files" were rndismpx.sys and usb8023x.sys.

Good luck.

Message 10 of 10 (696 Views)
Please use plain text.