Outstanding Wayfarer
cccsdad

TomTom to stop making stand alone GPS units..........

[ Edited ]

Now I know why they're in no hurry to provide the functionality promised in the GO and Via series......

This is a quote I took off of Foxnews.com

"Dutch GPS maker TomTom said last month that it would stop making standalone navigation units and concentrate instead on built-in systems for cars and apps for smartphones."

Here's a link.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/12/05/tech-gear-shouldnt-buy-this-christmas/?test=faces

Message 1 of 44 (1,931 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
shellade

Re: TomTom to stop making stand alone GPS units..........

[ Edited ]

Oh dear, there goes any hope of future stand alone Tom Tom PND's, I wonder what will happen to this genaration, and I gave up on Garmin. (TT 2535M Live)

Shellade
Message 2 of 44 (1,893 Views)
Please use plain text.
Lupus1
Topics: 21
Kudos: 1,605
Solutions: 320

Hi,

as the newer built-in devices use the myTT application as well, that application will be developed further. With a further developed application most of the promised features will be made available for the newer devices.

I suppose TT will eliminate the other flaws of those devices as well but they might need some time as software development and especially altering a working software to include more options is always a tricky task.

Just have a look in this subforum here. There have already been some added features been published and I suppose their will be others in the future as well.

Regards

Lars.

Hi,

the user dotcommie has posted personal information like his e-mail-address. Please remove that content

TT XL•S LIVE IQ Routes Edition (Text-to-Speech)
map/Europe_North 875.3613
TT Start 60
map/Europe 910.4964
TT GO 6000
map/Europe 926.5515

TT Runner Cardio watch

TT Home 2.9.7.3256
MyDrive Connect 3.3.0.1317
MySports Connect 1.3.9
Win8 64bit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm no TT employee but just a customer trying to help
Message 3 of 44 (1,886 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
shellade

[ Edited ]

Hi Lars or Lupus 1, sorry, the press statement clearly states that TT will no longer build stand alone PND's what does that tell you about our community and the whole TT PND stand alone market place, not terribly promising, losing money is one thing losing a whole PND established market is another.

p.s. Am I missing something fundamental?

Shellade
Message 4 of 44 (1,881 Views)
Please use plain text.
Lupus1
Topics: 21
Kudos: 1,605
Solutions: 320

Hi shellade,

I agree with you that losing a whole market doesn't sound too good.

But as there was complaining about features of existing devices not getting developed I wrote my previous post. I don't think that the development of the myTT application won't be stopped due to exiting one market area as the myTT application is used for the newer built-in devices as well.

Regards

Lars.

TT XL•S LIVE IQ Routes Edition (Text-to-Speech)
map/Europe_North 875.3613
TT Start 60
map/Europe 910.4964
TT GO 6000
map/Europe 926.5515

TT Runner Cardio watch

TT Home 2.9.7.3256
MyDrive Connect 3.3.0.1317
MySports Connect 1.3.9
Win8 64bit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm no TT employee but just a customer trying to help
Message 5 of 44 (1,876 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
shellade

[ Edited ]

Forgive me, but, as with TT exiting the PND market that they well established in Europe and to a lesser extent the US, one would think that concentrating on the onboard/ inbuilt units will lead some where along the line to a lesser need to update the OLD PND market place that they once held so 'sacrosanct'. In a nutshell the old PND's will become a back shelf item, nobody in the corporate world wants to spend new money on old projects etc etc......????

Best Wishes.

Adrian

Shellade
Message 6 of 44 (1,873 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
lancre

Since TomTom has announced they are leaving the stand-alone GPS business, how long will lifetime map & traffic updates continue?.  Does the lifetime support end now, or with the hardware warranty, or five years from now, or when?  Does anyone here know?

Message 7 of 44 (1,855 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
shellade

[ Edited ]

The fine print is fairly ambigious, how ever it would be a fairly tall order for TT Corp to walk away from the current map and traffic subsciptions 'et al', I think, how ever it will be interesting to see what the Netherlands says tomorrow, it may be just their shifting corporate window for going back to profitability as the PND market is shrinking a) with the global economy b) more lucrative contracts from the auto manufacturers and their end run users for  map and traffic updating as the PND users get some what left behind. Sadly my gut say's this is the begining of the end it may well take some time but neverless, I hope I am wrong, I am a new (again) user of the TT 2535M Live (2 weeks).

Shellade
Message 8 of 44 (1,846 Views)
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Explorer
RedDawg

[ Edited ]

shellade wrote:

Forgive me, but, as with TT exiting the PND market that they well established in Europe and to a lesser extent the US, one would think that concentrating on the onboard/ inbuilt units will lead some where along the line to a lesser need to update the OLD PND market place that they once held so 'sacrosanct'. In a nutshell the old PND's will become a back shelf item, nobody in the corporate world wants to spend new money on old projects etc etc......????

Best Wishes.

Adrian

Wow, I am stunned. I agree with Adrian. It makes no sense that any company will will continue to develop products in this case PNDs that are discontinued.  For example, Cisco/Linksys does not continue to develop firmware updates on Wireless Routers that have been discontinued or replaced by newer models.

I really believe TomTom just screwed all of us with this announcement. I purchased a TomTom VIA 1535TM PND about 3 months ago and then discovered that it was missing many of the features advertised.

I later discovered the real reason why TomTom new product line was missing the features advertised. It was because TomTom was sued by Microsoft for violating several of its patents on File Systems like FAT and FAT32.  As a result, TomTom redesigned their new product line (VIA & GO LIVE) so they would not infringe on Microsoft's patents. In other words, when you connect your TomTom PND device to your computer, it would no longer show up as a storage device, but as a network device. As a result of this change, TomTom could not use TomTom Home to manage the VIA and GO LIVE devices. They had to redesign a new management software called MyTomTom. The problem was that TomTom released their new generation of PND's called VIA and GO LIVE to the market before they were ready.

It's has been almost three months since I purchased my VIA 1535TM and I still do not have the functionality that was advertised. Others have it worse. Some people have purchased a VIA or GO LIVE and after a year lost their warranty without getting the features they paid for.

I understand that smartphones are the future for GPS navigation, but the timing of TomTom's announcement that they will be discontinuing PND's when they have not honored the missing features advertised in their PND devices is a marketing disgrace and dishonors all the people that bought their PND's.  

TomTom VIA 1535TM
App: 12.071.1370596.84 (0) (2092, 9/12/2013), OS 1344689
Gps: 2.18.903 127792, Boot 642776
Map: USA_Canada_and_Mexico v930.5609, Release Date: 5/2014
PC: Windows 7 x64, Google Chrome Browser

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it is probably a duck.
Message 9 of 44 (1,842 Views)
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Wayfarer
JasonTT

It seems that tomtom is scaling back on the PND market, not neccessarily stopping all PND production:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/tech-news/tomtom-recalculates-direction-on-navigation...

Message 10 of 44 (1,832 Views)
Please use plain text.