Prominent Wayfarer
Zo

TomTom Via 1535TM - Major Problems

I have owned 6 different TomTom devices in the past and have purchased 4 others for gifts to family members but the Via 1535TM by far is the worst TomTom model I have ever owned.

On my recent trip from Connecticut to New Jersey on the Easter Holiday weekend with rain and holiday traffic the experience was made much more frustrating by the TomTom and had to end up using my SmartPhone for part of the journey because the GPS was non-responsive. 

GPS vendors like TomTom often complain that Smart Phones are eating into their customer base, given my past experience I can understand why some would rather throw the TomTom GPS in the garbage and use a smart phone instead.

The TomTom 1535TM was released WAY before it was ready to be shipped and I consider it unreliable to use for any major trips at this point.

Device BM2091A00773 (13.5)

App 10.156.662284.84 (2019, 3/25/2011), 0S 645329

GPS 2.16.201 88313, Boot 642776

Map USA_Canada_and Mexico" v860.3194

Language: English US

Minor Annoyances

1. The virtual keyboard always displays in upper case
  2. Voice Guidance is often fooled by voices on the radio
  3. Using Night Time Colors, portions of the route lost the Red Color which showed my route and the GPS seemed to have lost GPS signal when in actuality, the screen was simply not rendering the path and the path was was being rendered in White instead of red.  This problem made me believe the GPS stopped working.
  4. Make your own menu should have option to show GPS Signal strength
  5. From the driving screen, clicking on the add favorite button adds a favorite without giving you a chance to add a name.  The favorite gets added with "unnamed_road_n"
  6. Favorites button buried too deep in menus
  7. Travel Via can no longer pick simply a city and not all cities have City Center listed

Major Problems

1. IQ Routes either not working or do not make sense.  Travelling between CT and NJ from Fairfield County TomTom always chooses George Washington Bridge as the the fastest route EVEN when the mini-traffic map in the preview shows major delays and accidents following that route.  The planned route is ALWAYS towards GW bridge EVEN when the Tappen Zee bridge would be the better choice.  Google Maps and Bing Maps showed MAJOR delays and problems and TomTom STILL insisted to go via the George Washington Bridge -- this makes Zero sense!
  2. When the real-time traffic notified me of quick route due to road delays, clicking on the info button took me to a search page -- what would I be searching?  Should it not show me the proposed route change?  Hitting back was the same as the accepting the new route, which I did not want!  What a mess!  I will never hit that button a again!
  3. If Day/Night colors are suppose to change depending on the time of day, it is not working for me and yes the option under screen brightness is checked.
  4. TomTom still does not consider certain roads when calculating routes.  For example, when I start off of a commuter lot to got to my home there is a road that splits to two different roads, one to the left and one to the right.  The road to the left is longer by 5min (by TomTom's own calculation) and that is what TomTom picks, it never picks the road to the right unless I start going down that road and when recalulated, it always shows as the faster route.  Same goes for picking certain on ramps and off ramps to the highway, some are completely ignored even when I have submitted map corrections.

Severe Problems

1. Screen responsiveness especially when going through menus and entering City/Zip or address names is unacceptably slow.  Given how quick the virtual keyboard on my smart phone works and how quickly it has worked on other TomTom devices, the keyboard on the 1535TM is a joke and boarders on the unacceptably slow to even use effectively.  Moving from menu to menu is also slow.
  2. Moving between screens too quickly causes TomTom to lock-up and eventually reboot -- Unacceptable!
  3. Overlapping voice responses from the GPS often overlap and cancel each other out.  For example, we where going to be getting off an exit and at the same time there was a voice response to tell us there was also a traffic delay, the voice prompt to tell use to get off was interrupted mid sentence by the traffic notification and then the traffic notification cut itself off too and we heard a garbled message and could not understand anything that was being said.  Why someone at TomTom could not anticipate this issue and queue one message after the other is beyond me.  The happened many time during the trip forcing us to have it repeat the message which is itself was also cut off at times -- very frustrating!
  4. Rendering map previews and giving summary information is UNACCEPTABLY! SLOW
  5. The entire device is SLOOOOOWWWW! compared to my TomTom ONEs and other TomTom GO devices of the past
  6. Unacceptable re-routing by Real-Time Traffic.  The following makes no sense.  I planned a route to travel via the Tappen Zee bridge but it AGAIN! planned what it considered a faster route via the George Washington Bridge -- I checked Google Maps and found that was a mistake and refused the new route.  It makes not sense to give me such a vast different route between these bridges.  Give me suggestions on my current route -- for example, there are roads that are parrallel to the Garden State Parkway to help me avoid traffic not a complete new bridge

I Cannot believe TomTom STILL cannot do this:

1. If I planned a route and then used "Travel Via" why oh why cannot TomTom save my Travel Via information.  I have requested this feature for years and STILL we do not have this very simple feature. It is a matter of saving one way point!!
  2. Integration with Google Maps and Bing Maps still is terrible and not usefull at all.  I want to plan my trip and export the trip to my TomTom
  3. Ability to send an address from my smart phone to the GPS

All in all, my Smart Phone did a better job than my TomTom GPS and after a few more trips, I am going to decide if I want to finally kick my TomTom habit and stick to my Smart Phone -- this has been my worst experience ever with TomTom

Message 1 of 24 (28,862 Views)
Please use plain text.
Supreme Navigator
45chralie

Re: TomTom Via 1535TM - Major Problems

I assume this is on top of all the missing features like Map correction,multiple way pointsm back up etc !

I am equally ticked at my TT 2505 TM! ! I have had mine since early Dec 2010 and several features still not working !

Message 2 of 24 (28,854 Views)
Please use plain text.
Revered Voyager
Revered Voyager
mvl

Self-map-correction is currently available on the VIA, just not correction sharing.

Under traffic preferences, there is an option to always reroute with traffic, always ignore, and ask to reroute.  It sounds like Zo prefers "ask to reroute".   The TM antenna uses clearchannel traffic which is far inferior to Google traffic (I don't know about Bing).  If you want accurate traffic on a Tomtom, the HD traffic on the GO 2535M LIVE is much much better.

The travel via spot can be saved on models that support itinerary planning.  Itinerary planning is not available on the VIA, but was promised as a feature addition in 2Q 2011.

Otherwise, I agree that the menu interface on the latest VIA and GO 2xxx models is unbearably slow, just like the absurd slowness that Tomtom introduced to the GO740 with the app 9.054 update.  Hopefully Tomtom does something around this slowness in a future update.

mvl

----------------------------------------------------------------

I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. I am a Tomtom customer, not an employee.

I have seven years of extensive experience with Tomtom navigation products, and have just begun to use a Tomtom fitness watch.
Message 3 of 24 (28,851 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
Zo

I blame myself for not doing enough research.

I do not use the "reroute with traffic" option because it will do what I am afraid of and take me WAY off my route that is why I ask.  I was HOPING the "info" button would allow me to see what the reroute entails, it does NOT.

last set of TomToms I had used  Itinerary planning but you could NOT save those to your favorites.  So, this required you to always go to another menu, this is very stupid UI decision.  Let me plan an Itinerary but let me also save it as a favorite.  I assume if/when the Via gets this option, it will be like it is on other models meaning no way to save a favorite.

I cannot stand the MyTomTom application

I am unsure if TomTom has a user experience VP, Manager or Team, but they all deserve to be fired because the user experience for the Via is just plain terrible.  The product seems rushed out the door with little regard for the user and it is unexcusable that the product was released when it clearly can lock-up and needs to reboot.

I am very very PO's about the whole situation.

Message 4 of 24 (28,837 Views)
Please use plain text.
Supreme Navigator
45chralie

The problem is that TT had to abandon the Home2 program because they could no longer use the Fat 32 which was theresult of a law suit with Micro Soft ! 

I agree the units on the MyTT application should not have been released yet. What is worse is they know about the problems and released the new xx35 models without solving their problems ! I should have returned it but I have never had a problem with TT until now. I trusted them , try to be patient but have run out of patience !

I feel sorry for the Tech guys who try to deal with the complaints but all they can do is agree and understand your frustration ! I am wonder how people who are not tech savy handel this problem.

Message 5 of 24 (28,833 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
arodb

I just bought the 1530 TM at Costco, and I'm trying it out.    The first thing that I noticed is that the user manual that is downloaded from the internet, is not for the same interface as my GPS.   My device is missing several features, and worse there is no hint on what is shut down when moving, which seems to be quite a bit. 

The features on the device are amazing, yet there is no intuative approach.  I've lost the microphone that must be tapped to use the voice recognition, and with only a cursery user manual, that's not even for the actual interface, it's hopeless to end the frustration.

I want this to work, as the features and quality seem the best that I can buy for even twice the price.   I don't mind even studying the manual to learn the the compexities,  but the infor just isn't there.   And from other comments on the forums, it seems that TomTom does not have the facilities in place to use this rollout, which is really a beta testing, to refine their interface.

It's a **bleep** shame.  

Message 6 of 24 (27,688 Views)
Please use plain text.
Supreme Trailblazer
gaon

Zo , Update You'r TT !

GPS 2.16.201 88313, Boot 642776

Linux Mint 11
arodb

I'm the guy who said that the manual for the Via 1530 does not match the acutal interface of the product.   And I did update and was told I have the latest version.

This is easy enough to verify.  If someone attempted to write a comprehensive user manual, the discontinuities would become obvious and they could be rectified.  Programing and technical writing is an art form.   This manual and the interfaace seems to have been done by amateurs, and all of the features to not mesh.  If there are workarounds there are too many and they are confusing. 

It seems like the company just doesn't care.   Get the model in hand and download the Manual.  They don't match.    Thousands of these devices will be returned unless this is dealt with.  And the feature of "make your own menu" is a great idea, except the choices are trivial.  How about something like "Go to Start"   Right now I can't even get there if I try.  And redefine the voice recognition for consistancy.  

Really, guys I'm on your side.   Make the effort make this great product workable.  

Message 8 of 24 (27,648 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
Zo

Note the date of my post, I have already performed the update and some but not all of my issues have been resolved.

If you want, I can update my issue list

Message 9 of 24 (27,625 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
Zo

Its not just TomTom it is a disturbing trend in all device makers

Take a look at the tablet world, there seems to be a mentality to get the hardware out before the software is ready because we can just update it later.  the problem is that the updates take much longer than anticipated and is leaving users with a bad experience.  Same goes for many cell phones (looking at you motorola)

My problem with TomTom specifically, is the LACK of communication.  Fine, we see what you did, now, give us some more updates or if you want to play this frequent update game al la google Android, at least give us some key updates and then release a larger update.

I am not happy about any of the device makers but I have a high dependency on TomTom GPS and that just pisses me off

Message 10 of 24 (27,622 Views)
Please use plain text.