Novice Explorer
Landyman

New Go 7000 Caravan & motorhome

I've just returned to the Uk from a 50 day trip to France.  A few days before I left home I did my second update.

However, considering the Tomtom publicity about up-to-date maps, I found the mapping database full of errors.  I've been using GPSrs since 1996 and so expect a few errors.  I've been using a Garmin 2610 with 2008 maps, mainly in the UK and a little in Germany; unfortunately it stopped working at the beginning of the trip and I had planned to compare the two.

But the number of errors - new roads missing, old roads missing and in one case a mile or so with all roads being offset to their true position.

The last caused the 7000 to continually work out a new new route every few seconds.

I can not change the dark blue arrow over a dark red road to a bright yellow (or any car icon).

The POI file for campsites in France never found any campsite and the only POI icons that display on the navigation map are the favourite stars.

Looking for stores like Auchan found none.  So I had to use my hand held Garmin 76CSx to 'Find' an Auchan and then type in the Lat/Long to the 7000.  In fact this was a regular event!

Compared to a Garmin 765T that I had bought as a 2610 replacement and discarded, the 7000 has some good and better functions, but it would appear to be useless at finding places to navigate to.

Knowing exactly where one wants to go to, the 7000 looks like a potentially good product.  But finding unknown places while touring appears to be a weak point.

I also found that options previously set, were changed.  As an example I set the 7000 to avoid motorways.  Then being routed onto a motorway, I later checked and found that the option had been changed.

The number of low bridges that the 7000 kept sending me under was very high.  In one town there was a railway that I needed to cross.  The 7000 told me to use about four, one after the other.  Eventually on the edge of town, it used a level crossing.

On another point, I can not find how to setup for a motorhome, as they are allowed to use roads banned for trucks.

Some of the speed limits are wrong.  Back home on the M25, a four lane section for many miles had a speed limit of 50 mph.   The sound beeps were most annoying mile after mile.

Have I bought a Beta test product?

Message 1 of 16 (1,196 Views)
Please use plain text.
TomTom Employee
maas

Re: New Go 7000 Caravan & motorhome

[ Edited ]

Hi Landyman,

Can you tap the bottom right of your device, then tap on the 'Version' button, and reply with the information there?

Kind regards,

Maas

I work for TomTom but the views expressed here are my own.
Message 2 of 16 (1,148 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
Landyman

As requested:-

Device AK9ZE BAE9S

App 8.398 (1917/101027) OS:592017

64 MB RAM (free: 16.0 MB)

GPS v1.20, Boot 5.5123

Map 'Europe_TRUCK' v855.2926

Language: English UK

13 years ago, I was one of the early users of Palmtop software on Psions, in fact my Psion 7 still has 'Route' and 'Street' as the first two apps on the left bar.  The 7000 map browser shows it's origins in 'Street', but is nowhere as useful as on the old Psion platform.

Regards.

Message 3 of 16 (1,136 Views)
Please use plain text.
TomTom Employee
maas

Hi Landyman,

Can you factory reset the device (change preferences -> reset factory settings). When starting up and entering your vehicle's dimensions, get them as precise as possible.

If you still have issues, in TomTom Home (www.tomtom.com/home) go to 'Items On Device' and remove the 'Application'.

Go to www.tomtomwork.com/swupdate and redownload the latest update for your device.

Does it still have problems after this?

Kind regards,

Maas

Message 4 of 16 (1,132 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
Landyman

Greetings,

I have just done a factory reset.  It came back in another language.  So I'm typing as I proceed.

I think that I selected 'Yes' as it looked a bit like the German  for yes.

Then at  top left is, " Haalestus", both 'a' with an umlaut.

Two options, "Parempoolne" & "Vasakpoolne",  looks like Eastern European.  (Later edit: possibly Danish?)

I retained the default 1st option and tapped "Valmis".

Now it's obvious that it's miles or Kms.

I kept selecting anything to get to the navigation display.

Then I did another factory reset.  This time offering a list of languages, so selected 'English UK".

Then got to the distorted map display. (3D)

I'll now use TomTom Home and redownload the latest update.

I was careful to enter the correct dimensions for my motorhome, such as 3.20m for it's height.  Now I have a question, when I encounter a bridge with a height signed as 3.2m, will I get under it?

Or put another way, is the road sign an indication of the gap under the bridge or the height of a vehicle that will pass under?

When I held a Cat. C & D license before I retired, I kept asking this question, but no one could give a knowledgeable answer.  So I always assume the the gap under the bridge is signed.

Regards.

Message 5 of 16 (1,123 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
BSB

I was told to always assume less than posted on the signs for trucks to be sure a load went under.

In your case I would have set the vehicle a touch higher.

Sure it may mean a few detours but better that than an open plan trailer or an instant conversion to a flatback.

Message 6 of 16 (1,117 Views)
Please use plain text.
TomTom Employee
maas

Hi Landyman,

Please don't quote me on this, but I believer a bridge marked '3.2 m' is advising a maximum vehicle height of 3.2 meters.

You could try asking the DVLA or department for transport. Or maybe use a measuring tape? :smileywink:

I hope the update works for you.

Kind regards,

Maas

Message 7 of 16 (1,119 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
BSB

Hi Mass.

I am pretty sure you are correct in the assumption.

Then you get into the discussion about "is that to the highest point with an arched bridge ?" "will the box fit the curvature of the arch ? "and "was the sign changed when the road was reworked ? "

Pretty sure thats why I was always advised to err on the side of caution.

Message 8 of 16 (1,114 Views)
Please use plain text.
Exalted Navigator
Exalted Navigator
Kex

Landyman wrote: ...Map 'Europe_TRUCK' v855.2926  ...

Is that the latest version? On a regular TomTom, that would be ancient. Current is v870, soon to be v875, but it may be different for truck maps.

______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ _____ ______ ______
TomTom XL 340S LIVE & XL 340TM (RDS-TMC) & GO LIVE 2535M - in daily L.A. Traffic
Message 9 of 16 (1,102 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
Landyman

maas wrote:

Can you factory reset the device (change preferences -> reset factory settings). When starting up and entering your vehicle's dimensions, get them as precise as possible.

If you still have issues, in TomTom Home (www.tomtom.com/home) go to 'Items On Device' and remove the 'Application'.

Go to www.tomtomwork.com/swupdate and redownload the latest update for your device.

Greetings Mass,

I did a factory reset and entered my vehicle's details and then changed the options to my preferred style.

One of the first options I changed was the location arrow, from blue to yellow, as this was a problem.  Seeing a dark blue arrow on a map with dark coloured roads is difficult when the 'way-to-go' arrows are a bright white.  (A bad combination of colours.)  The colour changed from blue to yellow.

The navigation map defaults to the distorted maps and as I don't fly a microlight, I then changed to normal maps, with north up.  But this then changed the arrow colour back to blue.  Even with track-up display the colour remains blue.

So I guess a bug fix is required.

I could not find, 'Items On Device', so was unable to remove the 'Application'.  However, the many other updates ran without problems.

But I can't notice any difference in the way the 7000 works while still at home.

Although I have ticked display icons for the POIs, these remain invisible on both the navigation and browse maps.

One of the prime uses of a motorhome is to travel and seek out places to see.  But as POIs are not visible on maps and frequently I see no POI available when looking into the supplied files, this GPSr is not very suitable for it's advertised use:  for use with motorhomes.

Also there is no option to select a motorhome (or caravan towing).  The road restrictions/regulations on trucks, coaches/buses and motorhomes are all different.  How does the 7000 know what category of vehicle I am driving?

The version info remains unchanged except for the free memory; that is now down to 13.7 MB.

Regards.

Message 10 of 16 (1,078 Views)
Please use plain text.