Neophyte Explorer
roadrunner3741
Accepted Solution

MyTomTom - Unable to download updates!

Hello,

When I got my TomTom START 20 two days ago I visited www.tomtom.com/getstarted and downloaded and installed the MyTomTom application, when asked to connect and switch on my sat nav I did. After a few seconds a message pops up in the right hand corner of my screen saying my sat nav was "up to date".

When I plugged in my sat nav today and opened the MyTomTom application it says in the green box to the right (which lists "MyTomTom, Add community content, Settings, and Close") there are 4 new items available with the a "details" link below. When I click on the "details" link it takes me to the following web page:

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/mytomtom/overview/index.jsp?dwc_settings=port:4000&dcp=5568

The above web page (titled My Overview) lists absolutely NOTHING about the 4 new items available for my sat nav, so how do I get them? Do I need to Log-in to the website somewhere, if so where? Its certainly NOT on the above web page!

I have read my user manual over and over and also read though the TomTom website till I've got square eyes......but nothing helpful that explains how I get my 4 new updates......its shocking for a brand like TomTom!!!!

Cheers folks.

Message 1 of 9 (9,312 Views)
Please use plain text.
Lupus1
Topics: 21
Kudos: 1,606
Solutions: 320

Re: MyTomTom - Unable to download updates!

Hi,

there are some issues existing linked to the MyTomTom application. Therefore I've added the lately most probable ones below.

Which browser do you use? If you use IE especially on Vista or Win7 please try running it in compatibility mode to XP or try another browser like Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.

Also make sure you've got enough memory capacity left on your hard disk drive (at least 8GB recommended).

Further check that your MyTT application is allowed to fully access the internet and isn't blocked by any antivirus or firewall software. If you use the preconfigured setup of the MyTT application you'll have to open TCP port 443 and internet port 4000 for your application to successfully communicate with TT's servers.

At last check that the flash application is the same version (32bit or 64bit) as your browser.

If there's an application update available please install that one first without any other updates. After a successful installation please disconnect your device, perform a soft reset (no settings will be lost). Just press and hold the power button until you hear the drum roll (approx. 15 seconds). Now clear the cache of both the MyTT application as well as your browser and download and install the other updates.

Regards

Lars.

TT XL•S LIVE IQ Routes Edition (Text-to-Speech)
map/Europe_North 875.3613
TT Start 60
map/Europe 910.4964
TT GO 6000
map/Europe 926.5515

TT Runner Cardio watch

TT Home 2.9.7.3256
MyDrive Connect 3.3.0.1317
MySports Connect 1.3.9
Win8 64bit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm no TT employee but just a customer trying to help
Message 2 of 9 (9,302 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
roadrunner3741

Many thanks Lars, it was my Internet Explorer 9 that was causing the problem, as soon as I switched it to compatibility mode much more of the MyTomTom page appeared including all the available updates and the log-in button!

It seems that TomTom need to update their own website before doing any future sat nav updates, making an IMPORTANT update webpage that is not compatible with the oldest and most popular web browser (Microsoft Internet Explorer) is absolutely shocking and unforgivable. I am also shocked that I have had to leave a message on a forum to find out how to get around the problem, the important information you kindly supplied should have already been supplied by TomTom and "pinned" right at the top of the TomTom support page for other owners to find easy.

One of the updates for my TomTom START 20 was indeed an application update, so its a good thing you said about installing that first and then clearing the caches BEFORE installing the other updates as I would not have thought of that! Again, WHY isn't such important information like that easily found on the TomTom website, or even better supplied in the sat navs user manual? Its ridiculous!   

I hope TomTom sort out the Internet Explorer issue soon!

Message 3 of 9 (9,280 Views)
Please use plain text.
Lupus1

Hi,

your welcome. Glad it is working for you now.

I completely agree with you that this information should be provided by TomTom directly or even better the problem be fixed :smileywink:.

Enjoy using your device now that you've updated it successfully.

Regards

Lars.

TT Start 60
map/Europe 910.4964
TT GO 6000
map/Europe 926.5515

TT Runner Cardio watch

TT Home 2.9.7.3256
MySports Connect 1.3.9
Win8 64bit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 4 of 9 (9,242 Views)
Please use plain text.
Kaz
Apprentice Traveler
Kaz

I too have the same issue with my Start 20 not downloading updates however, unfortunately I'm not as IT savvy as others!

I have been able to view in compatibility mode in Internet Explorer 9 however, I need further instruction please to do the following:

- check that your MyTT application is allowed to fully access the internet and isn't blocked by any antivirus or firewall software

- open TCP port 443 and internet port 4000

- check that the flash application is the same version (32bit or 64bit) as your browser

- clear the cache of both the MyTT application as well as your browser

Many thanks

Kaz

Message 5 of 9 (9,067 Views)
Please use plain text.
Lupus1

Hi Kaz,

concerning the procedure of performing the steps I'll go through them one by one:

1. You'll have to access the menu of both antivirus and firewall software on your computer and set the MyTomTom application as a trusted software. This list should be somewhere in the firewall options but as it is different with each firewall and antivirus software I don't know where it can be found in your software exactly. You'll have to click through the different items of the software. If the MyTT application isn't listed as trustworthy please add it..
  2. opening TCP port 443 and internet port 4000 is done in your firewalls preferences menu. You'll have to look for open ports. You'll find more information about opening the ports if you search with Google for your firewall's name + open port.
  3. Please search on your computer for flash. Enter the installation folders and check whether some of the files have a 32 or a 64 in their filename. 32 symbolizes the 32bit system in this case. You won't need the 64bit version unless you've got a 64bit operating system and a 64bit browser.
  4. For clearing the cache of the MyTT application you'll need to access the preferences menu of the MyTomTom application. Just click on the MyTT taskbar icon and select the preferences menu. Afterwards go to the cache tab and click on clear cache.

preferences_MyTT.jpg

clear_cache_MyTT.jpg

Regards

Lars.

TT Start 60
map/Europe 910.4964
TT GO 6000
map/Europe 926.5515

TT Runner Cardio watch

TT Home 2.9.7.3256
MySports Connect 1.3.9
Win8 64bit

Message 6 of 9 (8,998 Views)
Please use plain text.
Kaz
Apprentice Traveler
Kaz

Lupus1 wrote:

Hi Kaz,

concerning the procedure of performing the steps I'll go through them one by one:

1. You'll have to access the menu of both antivirus and firewall software on your computer and set the MyTomTom application as a trusted software. This list should be somewhere in the firewall options but as it is different with each firewall and antivirus software I don't know where it can be found in your software exactly. You'll have to click through the different items of the software. If the MyTT application isn't listed as trustworthy please add it..
  2. opening TCP port 443 and internet port 4000 is done in your firewalls preferences menu. You'll have to look for open ports. You'll find more information about opening the ports if you search with Google for your firewall's name + open port.
  3. Please search on your computer for flash. Enter the installation folders and check whether some of the files have a 32 or a 64 in their filename. 32 symbolizes the 32bit system in this case. You won't need the 64bit version unless you've got a 64bit operating system and a 64bit browser.
  4. For clearing the cache of the MyTT application you'll need to access the preferences menu of the MyTomTom application. Just click on the MyTT taskbar icon and select the preferences menu. Afterwards go to the cache tab and click on clear cache.

preferences_MyTT.jpg

clear_cache_MyTT.jpg

Regards

Lars.

Thanks for your instruction Lars however, I have managed to get through step 1 successfully & spent 45 minutes already in total & step 2 is not completed.....I must be an idiot but this is not straight forward at all.  The listed port for MyTT is 'any', so I can't see how to find open ports.  Google comes up with numerous hits when searching but has not helped me find a solution.

I can't believe that I have to go to all this trouble just to install updates!!  It shouldn't be this hard.

I don't have the time to be searching for all these changes that need to be done to my pc just to install 3 updates to a TT I purchased only one month ago. 

When I registered my device & did the first update, apparently everything was up to date however, since using it, it's obvious the maps are very old as many roads that have been there for 4 yrs+ are not showing.

Is there another form of support in Australia via phone please?

Signed

Very disappointed

Message 7 of 9 (8,707 Views)
Please use plain text.
Lupus1

Hi Kaz,

with another guy the problem with the firewall could be solved by uninstalling the firewall and reinstalling it. The guy had a firewall from F-Secure.

You could contact your firewall's providing company to ask for more information about it as well if there are problems.

I agree with you though that it should be easier to get one's updates. As long as there are these issues still existing linked to the MyTT application I fear we'll have to live with workarounds.

Regards

Lars.

TT Start 60
map/Europe 910.4964
TT GO 6000
map/Europe 926.5515

TT Runner Cardio watch

TT Home 2.9.7.3256
MySports Connect 1.3.9
Win8 64bit

Message 8 of 9 (8,586 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
roadrunner3741

When I downloaded and updated my maps via MyTomTom (with help from Lars) I decided to completely shut-down my firewall and antivirus software to avoid any mess ups, even though MyTomTom was trusted. The chance of getting a virus during the short time it takes to do an update is virtually nil I recon!

To shut down your firewall and anti-virus software you usually just RIGHT click its icon in the task bar and select Exit, Close or Shutdown.

If anyone needs to check if Port 443 is open just visit this Microsoft site ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291983 ), it has a URL to paste into your browser that should tell you!

:smileyhappy:

Message 9 of 9 (8,531 Views)
Please use plain text.