Novice Explorer
herebetigers

My Drive does not work

Added here because no other forum seemed to match.

I have a continual problem updating my TomTom via.

As I sit here my TomTom is convinced it is connected to a computer.

My PC (vista) is equally convinced it is not connected to a TomTom.

My Drive seems to be no better than the previous my TomTom.

I know if I turn enough things on and off enough times I will probably get an update.

Since I can drive anywhere in Europe in less time that it takes to update my TomTom why do I bother?

Does anyone have a guaranteed way of plugging in a TomTom into a computer and getting an update in less that 1/2 hour?

Also why does the TomTom spell check want to replace TomTom with  tomato? or is this the answer to my question!!

Message 1 of 28 (1,584 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
lycanthrope7

Re: My Drive does not work

For starters you're using Windows Vista, so you've handicapped yourself from the very beginning. Do yourself a favor and upgrade to Win7, your computer will thank you.

Assuming you've ignored the first paragraph and are still using Vista, it is notorious for not installing TomTom drivers properly. Check the device manager and make sure your TomTom is correctly installed and the device status says working. If you inadvertently disabled the local area connection associated with your TomTom, the device status will be disabled. Re-enable it and your problem will be solved.

Finally, along with the changes made to the website, there's also a new MyDrive Connect program that you need to install on your computer, which replaces the old MyTomTom Support Application. If you haven't installed that, you'll get nowhere fast. Hold your mouse over the icon in the system tray and see if the tooltip says MyDrive Connect or MyTomTom. If it says MyTomTom, click on it and there should be a message saying "A critical update is available for MyTomTom. Install Now". Click "Install Now" and it will begin the update process.
Message 2 of 28 (1,575 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
herebetigers

Thanks for the reply, well aware of the limitations of vista been fighting with it for years.

I have Mydrive installed, I did this about 2 weeks ago when I was last having problems. I thought this was the answer to my prayers as after the install the TomTom updated smooth as you like. Plugged in this time and back to the world of pain.

I think that TomTom should cut their losses and install WiFi capability in their TomToms then they could be updated by direct connection to the WiFi hubs that most people seem to have, what is better you could get your updates at any WiFi hotspot when you are on the road!

Message 3 of 28 (1,564 Views)
Please use plain text.
Staff
MikkoK

Hi herebetigers,

Welcome to the forum!

Please, see this FAQ for MyDrive troubleshooting tips.

Cheers, Mikko

Need help with your TomTom device?
Add details about the TomTom device to your post: Device name, Application- and Map version.
Message 4 of 28 (1,544 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
Bruce_69

Upgrading won't make the slightest difference................I'm running Windows 7 and experiencing exactly the same problems! My theory (for what it's worth) REALLY POOR PROGRAMING! Updating shouldn't be a chore but TomTom make it exactly that! Wish I'd bought Garmin!

Message 5 of 28 (1,446 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
Techmeister

[ Edited ]

My Drive has a litany of technical glitches as I pointed out a few days after it was released and I suggested maybe it should be discontinued until propely fixed...due to the incredible pain and suffering it was causing and still is causing TT owners.

That being said it's inappropriate to suggest that someone using Vista should upgrade to Win 7 as a solution to My Drive when the technical problems aren't Vista it's My Drive. As noted by others the problems exist in Win 7 also, so recommending a person go to the expense and hassles to upgrade from Vista to Win 7 is not good advice at all.

Message 6 of 28 (1,407 Views)
Please use plain text.
Staff
MikkoK

Hi all,

Please, see the FAQ I linked to above. Should that not help you solve your isse, please contact Customer Service for further investigation.

Cheers, Mikko

Need help with your TomTom device?
Add details about the TomTom device to your post: Device name, Application- and Map version.
Message 7 of 28 (1,374 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
Bruce_69

Brilliant Mikko...................do you not think we've read the FAQ you posted before! I don't know about other users but I only posted myself because the information you previously posted wasn't at all helpful. Absolutely no point in reposting your previous FAQ if it doesn't answer the questions. These are inherent problems with the software that your company doesn't appear to want to rectify in the hope that we get tired of asking the same questions or go away!

IT REALLY ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH! ALL WE ARE ASKING FOR IS THE ABILITY TO SIMPLY UPDATE SOFTWARE WITHOUT DRAMA.  UNFORTUNATELY THE SOFTWARE THAT COMES AS A BUNDLED PACKAGE WITH OUR PURCHASED TOMTOM ISN'T FIT FOR PURPOSE!

Message 8 of 28 (1,371 Views)
Please use plain text.
YamFazMan

[ Edited ]

Hi

We have established you using Win7 and your Pi55ed off !!!, what's your win7 is it 32 or 64bt, what's your default browser, have you installed the latest Java and flash, what's your MyDrive port setting ???

This is a user forum overseen by Tomtom we are only tying to help.

ATB YFM      

Help others identify useful content :-

- If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Kudos button.
- If someone answered your question? Click Accept as Solution.
Also have you tried clicking on the Suport Button.PNG button at the top of the forum page ??? 
World phone numbers to contact Customer support :- Phone-numbers.
Other ways to contact TomTom Support :- How-to-Contact-support.

Message 9 of 28 (1,342 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
Bruce_69

Hi

Win7 64bit - default browser is IE - updated Java and Flash yesterday - MyDrive port is 400

TIA

Message 10 of 28 (1,333 Views)
Please use plain text.