Apprentice Explorer
Brickie64

Memory capacity on GO Live 1005 - why only 4 GB

I'm amazed to find that the memory is almost completely used already on the GO Live 1005 with the factory installed Europe maps.

This leaves no option to install the Maps for USA for example. Also I don't find any slot for SD card expansion.

Presumably the only way to load additional maps is to remove one or more of the existing countries?

I'm quite surprised considering the relatively cheap cost of memory these days that TomTom have chosen not to fit a bigger memory as standard in what is considered to be the "Flagship" model.

Message 1 of 15 (1,700 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
BSB

Re: Memory capacity on GO Live 1005 - why only 4 GB

"IF" the map feature ever becomes available then you might be able to do it in one of two ways.

For the newer devices that have an SDHC slot it may be possible to buy a map on that.

It may also be possible to boost the memory on those devices (if the slot ever gets enabled)

As a last resort you may be able to OFFLOAD the current map and do a swap.

These all rely on features that are in some cases many months overdue and look unlikely to be available any time in the very near future.

TomTom putting the FUN into DisFUNktional
TT VIA 1535................................. (Under development)

Message 2 of 15 (1,689 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
Brickie64

It's a shame they didn't think to put either an SD card slot or bigger memory in the Live 1005.

I'm still baffled by this. Surely TT would make money by selling additional maps. This means either giving us sufficient memory to install them or giving extension slot to install additional memory for those that choose to do so.

I'm sure the features to allow map upgrades will come in time. Just can't see why it's taking so long to get the latest devices up to the feature levels of the older ones.

Message 3 of 15 (1,665 Views)
Please use plain text.
Vanman
Topics: 6
Kudos: 61
Solutions: 9

They don't give you an SD slot because you would be able to take it out and add/remove software and they are trying to control what is on the unit!

Message 4 of 15 (1,640 Views)
Please use plain text.
Stefan
Kudos: 1,047
Solutions: 222

Support:smileyhappy:

I believe that TomTom once created a navigation device with 20 Gigabytes of memory. I believe that this should become the minimum as standard memory for the future devices. The capacity of maps become larger in time, even when having 20 Gigabyte as capacity, it would be possible to install all the maps available when desired without the hassle to remove the maps on the device and reinstall each time when needed.

This way it would be possible to have all the purchased maps at disposal, and the requirement to choose between map zones would be not necessary anymore, just by simply having a larger memory capacity available on the device.

Message 5 of 15 (1,629 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
Brickie64

I think the GO910 model that had a hard drive inside it and a huge memory.

With modern flash drive equivalent it seems strange that TT have gone for such a small on board memory.

Message 6 of 15 (1,578 Views)
Please use plain text.
Stefan
Kudos: 1,047
Solutions: 222

It shouldn't be about the money since we are already be willing to pay the price for a top of the range navigation device. Adding a larger memory capacity can't be so difficult. :smileywink:

Message 7 of 15 (1,575 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
BSB

[ Edited ]

There are speed considerations to take into account as far as memory goes.

Although overall prices for memory are at one of the lowest seen for a long time this may well be out of step with the planning for a device that had to be RUSHED to market.

IMHO tomtom has applied logic with cost here (unusual to mention logic and TT in the same sentence).

If I were TT I would probably have come to a similar decision as far as 4 Gb. Dont think you will see memory increases until the next models or medai based models. And on many devices there is always that unused slot yet to be activated..

TomTom putting the FUN into DisFUNktional
TT VIA 1535................................. (Under development)

Message 8 of 15 (1,572 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
Brickie64

We can only speculate as to the reason behind such a design decision I guess. Can't help thinking this is somtehing more to do with influence from the "Bean Counters" than the Design Team though :smileywink:

Message 9 of 15 (1,571 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
John2013

[ Edited ]

I need to increase the memory on my tomtom go live 1005. It is an ST model. Can somebody give me an instuction on how to go about this? My email address is *removed for privacy*

Message 10 of 15 (1,066 Views)
Please use plain text.