Neophyte Traveler
Joel

Home vs MyTomTom

With Home, I could use the device on my computer as well as the device tiself. I don't see the device screen on my computer for my Via 1535TM as I did for my Go 730.

Message 1 of 12 (1,110 Views)
Please use plain text.
laz45
Kudos: 354

Re: Home vs MyTomTom

[ Edited ]

Your device shows up as a network connection not a mass storage device.

Depending on your OS look in network connections

Help others identify useful content:
- Did someone answer your question? Click Accept as Solution
- Did someone post something helpful? Click the kudos star

Go Live 1535M
App 12.035.991250.84
USA_Can_Mex map v895.4454
MyTomTom v3.1.0.530
Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit
Internet Explorer 9

Message 2 of 12 (1,109 Views)
Please use plain text.
Stefan
Kudos: 1,047
Solutions: 222

Its not possible to operate the Nav3 devices with the TomTom Home Support Application. You need the myTomTom Support Application to manage and update the TomTom Via, since its not possible to use TomTom Home for this device. If not already done, download the myTomTom Support Application from the following website:

http://www.tomtom.com/getstarted

Message 3 of 12 (1,099 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
Joel

I understand there are the two differnet op systems. I have both devices and both systems on my computer. What I'm asking is: is there a way to operate the new device (Via 1535TM with My TomTom) on my computer screen, like you can with the older device (Go 730 and Home). Home allowed me to see a replica of my device on my compute screen and I could type in destinations and routes onscreen the same way I do it on the actual device itself. I don't see a similar thing for the new Via device and can't find it in the My TomTom application. On the older one, it would come up automatically after any unpdates were installed.

Message 4 of 12 (1,076 Views)
Please use plain text.
Stefan

Its not possible to operate the newer navigation devices with the myTomTom application. I'm not aware that this would be on TomTom's priorities list to develop this feature so it would become available one day. Feel free to add your suggestion to the Wish List of coming features topic at the top of this forum:

http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/TomTom-GO-800-1000-2000-Via/10XX-amp-20XX-wish-list-of-coming-featu...

Message 5 of 12 (1,074 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
Joel

So what you are saying is that the company removed a great application feature (using the computer itself to navigate on the device) that was on the older operating system (Home), from the newer technology (My TomTom)?

Message 6 of 12 (1,066 Views)
Please use plain text.
Stefan

Unfortunately, at the moment its not available. I'm not working for TomTom so it could or could not be on their priority list.

Message 7 of 12 (1,061 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
tonyw

The problem Joel is that Microsoft hold certain patents regarding the software tomtom used to connect their devices to a PC, which showed the tomtom as connected via the Windows Operating System, to get around this (Microsoft sued them) they were forced to change to a system which shows the connection as a network connection,ie a connection that is not direct to your computer. Put another way they were forced to change by a bullying Microsoft picking on a company with less financial clout than them by using very old software patents, rather than pay royalties to MS they chose to redesign the interface
Message 8 of 12 (1,001 Views)
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Explorer
RedDawg

tonyw wrote:
The problem Joel is that Microsoft hold certain patents regarding the software tomtom used to connect their devices to a PC, which showed the tomtom as connected via the Windows Operating System, to get around this (Microsoft sued them) they were forced to change to a system which shows the connection as a network connection,ie a connection that is not direct to your computer. Put another way they were forced to change by a bullying Microsoft picking on a company with less financial clout than them by using very old software patents, rather than pay royalties to MS they chose to redesign the interface

Hi tonyw,

How did you find this information out? I haven't heard anything about this on this forum, or any other source. If it is true, it would at least explain why TomTom made such an abrupt change to their PND's and how they are accessed before they were production ready.

TomTom VIA 1535TM
App: 12.071.1370596.84 (0) (2092, 9/12/2013), OS 1344689
Gps: 2.18.903 127792, Boot 642776
Map: USA_Canada_and_Mexico v930.5609, Release Date: 5/2014
PC: Windows 7 x64, Google Chrome Browser

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it is probably a duck.
Message 9 of 12 (982 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
tonyw

Lots of info on the web if you look, follow this link for example.

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3807801/Bruce-Perens-Analyzing-Microsofts-TomTom-L...

But remember this all happened before the latest Via units were put on the market, and any issues should have been addressed, or tomtom should have been more accurate with the information it gave new customers about functionality.
Message 10 of 12 (970 Views)
Please use plain text.