New Traveler
Artsi100

Go Live 1000 battery life

Is it normal if Live 1000's battery is almost dead after one year use? Now "live" actions don't work even if it is on charger few hours. There is a display "battery low Live -service is not available"

Message 1 of 17 (1,777 Views)
Please use plain text.
Supreme Trailblazer
piran

Re: Go Live 1000 battery life

[ Edited ]
Message 2 of 17 (1,774 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt
Kudos: 2,377
Solutions: 554

Unfortunately loads of 1000 and 1005 batteries suffer the same defect.

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Report map errors (MSR Tool - link)
Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE
How to contact TomTom's Customer Services (link)
TomTom's Customer Services numbers (thx Niall) (link)
How to soft reset your device (link)

I am NOT a TomTom employee, just a user like others.
Message 3 of 17 (1,762 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
atsois

My Go Live 1000 battery died after 7 months. They replaced the device. The "new" device's battery died after 9 months. There is obviously something wrong with the desing of device or the materials they are using!

I use the device always connected to power in the car.

Message 4 of 17 (1,758 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
whyanbeel

Even if your warranty has run out you will be UPGRADED to the latest TomTom GPS device. There is a KNOWN FAULT with the TomTom Go 1000 battery not holding its charge. This happened to my unit and I phoned TomTom Australia and I was told I would be sent the latest upgraded unit becuase they know about the battery fault. You only have to look at the complaints on the Whirlpool forum and other websites to know many people who purchased the TomTom Go 1000 have had the EXACT same problem. The magnificent thing about FORUMS today is that many people can tell the world what is wrong with a particular product. When you get many people all discussing the same problem, companies cannot tell you to go away when you phone them becuase the evidence it out there. So when you phone a company to make a complaint make sure you let them know you have discovered via online forums that other people are having the same problem as you. This is how people can group together to form CLASS ACTIONS and sue companies in court if they try to dodge issues. Lawyers and Ombudsman can also use online forums as evidence if necessary. I hope this helps :smileyhappy:

Message 5 of 17 (1,646 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
TerryR

You are absolutly right about there being a fault with the Go1000 batteries. I visited a TOM TOM stand at the Caravan exhibition in Birmingham where I was going to purchase a new tomtom for car and caravan use. Four people in front of me in the que were complaining of their batteries going down, one lady had 4 exchange units and was having the same problem. These units are not of merchantable quality and TOMTOM should be brought to justice over it. Trying to contact them is a Joke and their website is almost unusable. I would advise all dissatisfied customers to demand action and not accept that the defective unit be repaired and insist on a new replacement unit. If they refuse go via your local trading standards officer.

TerryR   

Message 6 of 17 (1,628 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
whyanbeel

I had no problem contacting TomTom Australia. I find if you do have a problem keep calling them until they get sick of it. Keep emailing them, keep phoning them. Warn them you have contcated your Ombudsman or legal representative. Copy and paste the web address of website forums where people are discussing the same problem to them.  Let them know you are very serious about the matter and will keep pushing until your problem is resolved. Let them know you have contacted other members in the forum, and you are looking at forming a class action and lodging a complaint.  Persistence pays off.  It doesn't matter if you have to phone them 100 times, keep it up and don't let them make you go away. Often these companies will put 'DIFFICULT' customers on hold over the phone for a very long time to try and discourage them. Don't be fooled by this. Tell them you are putting them on speaker phone while you are watching tv, and that you don't mind waiting.  Ask for peoples names when you speak to them, so if you need to call back, you can ask for them. or mention to another person you have spoken to them. Ask to be put through to the provising officers or management. Ask for reference number for each call so if you need to call back, you can give this number to any new person and they can check your previous discussions which have been noted on their computer system.  Write letters to legal people in your state and let them know what is going on.  It is VERY important that you keep a DIARY of each call and date it with times, so you have something to back yourself up with. Ask for the names of people you speak to and record them in your diary.  

Message 7 of 17 (1,619 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
TerryR

Excellent advice, will follow it and keep you posted
Message 8 of 17 (1,617 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
DrMonty007

I too have exactly the same issue.

this now means I am missing out on live services because the battery wont charge.

seems to me TOMTOM are buying cheaper components to maximise profits.

these tomtom devices are getting very poor quality now, in comparison to the tomtom I bought 10 years ago.

but the prices are still really high, i wouldnt mind if the product was cheap. BUT IT ISNT.

Message 9 of 17 (1,121 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt
Kudos: 2,377
Solutions: 554

Those are branded Maxell batteries, not some noname stuff. Not really the best though, but luckily replacement is available for around £10.

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Report map errors (MSR Tool - link)
Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE
How to contact TomTom's Customer Services (link)
TomTom's Customer Services numbers (thx Niall) (link)
How to soft reset your device (link)

I am NOT a TomTom employee, just a user like others.
Message 10 of 17 (1,109 Views)
Please use plain text.