Neophyte Explorer
wareseducation

GO 2535*M Live---performance issues complaints

[ Edited ]

If anyone else has had a bad experience with their GPS device, specifically the GO 2535*M Live, please send your experience to me at #######@##########.  I am in the process of contacting the Attorney General's office for the State of California regarding my defective GPS unit.  

Right from the beginning, I could not access the live services, the device then began to freeze up and would take multiple resets to get into the GPS menu, and I would often complete a trip before I would be able to gain access to the GPS menu to plan my trip.  I know at least four others who have experienced some of the same issues with their Tom Tom GPS device.  Their seems to be systemic issues with my GO 2535*M Live GPS unit and I am sure others are having the same problem.

I take very good care of all of my tools, so I decided to request an RMA number to send the device in since it was virtually useless with the multiple freezes and lockups.  Once I received it back, the backside of the device had dimpling in the speaker mesh.  I called in and got the run around.  The upper management representative I requested to speak with was not concerned at all and told me to do what I have to do as their was nothing she could do.  I dare them send me a device back that looks like a dented up can!  Now, the device is freezing up yet again.

I also bought this device for the hands free Bluetooth feature to use with my Blackberry Torch.  From day one, calls are dropped and disconnected.  The hands free feature seems to work best when a route is not being navigated at the same time, which defeats the purpose.

I reported every issue on the Tom Tom website within 48 hours of purchasing the device.  The replies for Tom Tom customer service would range from the Live service are temporally  unavailable and we are working to fix all issues with updates.  4 months later, I am still experiencing the same issues.

I am very disappointed in this high-end GPS unit and it very subpar performance and the very inept customer service.  I hope I get enough people who have experienced the same lack of performance I have, if so, please email me as I consider a class action lawsuit.  If not, I will invoke my lemon law rights and demand a full refund.  I will file formal complaints with every viable agency and will never purchase a Tom Tom product again.

Mod edit: Removed personal information.

Message 1 of 11 (884 Views)
Please use plain text.
Community Manager
Ditte

Re: GO 2535*M Live---performance issues complaints

Hi Wareseducation,

I'm sorry to hear about the troubles you've had with our support department.
Can you send me a Private Message (The letter icon in the upper right hand corner) with the case number(s) and the email address you have contacted us with? Then I can see what I can do to help you.

Thank you,
Ditte

Need help with your TomTom device?
Add details about the TomTom device to your post: Device name, Application- and Map version.
Message 2 of 11 (869 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
William113

While your at it you can fix mine also

Message 3 of 11 (806 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
Bluedog

I have a TomTom GO 2535 LIVE that I bought for Christmas, it will not update the maps and keeps giving error "something has gone wrong" check your computer, it never does download the new map. I called tech support (in mexico limited english) and finally they sent another "replacement" . Same problem occured when I connected to download update map, so I tried another PC thinking it needed something mine did not have, same story again. These are junk, when i select an address it will tell me it is 15 miles away when I know it is less than 1/4 mile away. It will have me go 10 miles around to get what is a location I can see from my car. DON"T BUY ONE & TELL OTHERS TO STAY FAR AWAY!!!!!!!

Message 4 of 11 (729 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
Drbar1942

I have had many of the same problems. I made the mistake of purchasing two Go Live 2535 GPSs, one for me and one for my wife. We have had nothing but problems with them. Here's what's happened thus far:

1. GPS won't boot up and one can't reload the software because the unit is not recognized by the computer. I've just sent back my second Go Live 2535. Both of them had the same problem. Because it's under warranty, the customer support team simply sends me another one. Classic case of treating the symptom, not the cause. Continuing to send me units that fail after a month or two is kind of like painting a barn that's full of rotted wood. Furthermore everytime I send the GPS back, I incur a $10 postage charge. And TomTom will not send a new GPS to me until they've received the malfunctioning GPS, a huge inconvenience. I wish the TomTom folks woud "fess up" and acknowledge that they've put out a product that simply isn't working properly - and then  either fix it or give refunds to people who made the mistake of purchasing this expensive, "state of the art" (ha) GPS. I am so frustrated with both TomTom's attitude, and this inferior product that the only solution I can think of is called GARMIN.

2. My wife's GPS has been sent back once with the same problems described above. It won't boot up. I'm about to send her second unit back because it is now experiencing another problem. When you push a button on the screen nothing happens. It usually takes 20-30 minutes before the buttons work. In addition, the address search feature is terrible. I tried to find an address on her unit, and it only found it after I entered the zip code. It would not find the address when I entered the City name and then the street. How many people are aware of the zip codes associated with addresses? Most folks would simply enter an address (state, city, street, street number) and expect the GPS to find it. Not the Go Live 2535. 

In conclusion - if a salesman tries to convince you to purchase this unit, don't walk away from it, run as fast as you can. 

Message 5 of 11 (698 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
roski

[ Edited ]

To be honest, this product is the biggest piece of #### I have ever purchased!  The first unit which was replaced four-months after I purchased it stopped working completely.  The return procedure was a nightmare as it took almost a month to receive the replacement which was three-months ago and now that one is no longer working properly.  The service line is also a joke note available 24-hours a day like their competition.  This products sucks and if anyone has contacted an attorney please let me know.    

Message 6 of 11 (636 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
mcsap

I'm new to TomTom and I purchased this unit which I believed to be a top of the line for price and features. I'm having the  same performance problems as the others have noted in their responses - I continually have unit lock ups, the Traffic HD live some times freezes for miles (10 to 40) and gets me stuck in traffic for HOURS. At first I thought okay its me and I need to reread the booklet, but its now been a couple of months and the issues are getting worse.  I need to program my own route and Okay maybe I didn't get the instructions - but clearly I can't get there from here on my own. Also unit will not provide live services if the battery needs charging - what's up with that if the unit is plugged into power.  Sorry but that's just crazy - what did I spent good money during hard times to only get a product that clearly costs me more dollars than I already paid for this unit in numerous traffic jams and so much more dollars on gas.  What good is it to contact customer service and get a different NEW unit if its only going to cost me return postage and then get the same problems all over again... Please you tell me would you want that as a customer of a similar product or service.  I would love to have a TomTom product that works and tell everyone just how great it has been saving me time and money (even with the up front costs of the unit) but I'm really sorry your current product that I have just doesn't live up to those qualities _ someone from TomTom - please turn my views around re: my New Go 2535M Live oh and I also purchased a 2535 lifetime traffic and maps go figure

TomTom please give me some guidance I travel  over 160 miles each and every day - I need dependability. Awaiting a truly honest answer - thanks in advance.

Message 7 of 11 (564 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
asspennies

[ Edited ]

I've had mine for a little over a year now, and spent nearly $300 on it when it came out. I really thought the extra money would be worth it, and I have to say, when the device is working correctly, it is worth the extra money. Sure, it's a bit slower than it should be, but the Live services are great (yet overpriced, truly). But unfortunately what makes this unit a dud is the fact that it's highly UNRELIABLE.  I was mildly upset that the features promised on the box weren't actually available out of the box, and over the course of many months I kept checking these forums to see when the update would be pushed out.

Finally, the update comes out, and it comes out a couple of days before a big trip to Los Angeles that we'd been planning. Great timing, right? Nope! I was looking forward to the advanced lane assistance, voice directions, and Live services making for a seamless experience while on the road. I downloaded the update (by the way, I STILL don't understand why the updates take so many HOURS to download and install, but by now I've come to expect this kind of Dark Age tech from TomTom).

Within an hour of being on the road though, the **bleep** thing loses the satellites and is never able to reacquire them. Now I'm left with a useless brick of a $300 GPS for the rest of our trip. Sure, the critical update was issued within the following week, but by then it was already far too late for me and for my vacation. I spent my LA trip using my phone GPS instead to get me places.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, and I'm now driving cross country from Maryland to Washington state. We had renewed our Live subscription a few weeks before despite cringing a bit at the $60 price, but again when this thing is working correctly the Live services are an invaluable tool for us, so we swallowed hard and paid up. It's the third day of our four day trip, and the GPS is working well to that point. Suddenly though the unit starts resetting, but never actually completing the boot up.Again, the unit became a completely USELESS $300 brick right when I absolutely needed it the most.

Now, I find myself back home, currently in the process of trying to revive the **bleep** thing before this weekend's trip to San Francisco. It still will not stop the restart cycle, despite the drum resets recommended here by others who have experienced this particular issue with their TomToms.

UNBELIEVABLE.

TomTom:

1. Why are you totally unable to release software updates on a reasonable time schedule?

2. Why, once you have those updates in hand, aren't you testing them for gamebreaking bugs like the satellite glitch?

3. Why is your $300 flagship unit slow and totally UNRELIABLE?

4. What is going on over there in your company that you can't seem to release hardware and software that doesn't suck?

Do you guys actually know anything about making consumer electronics that work? It's hard to tell.

Sincerely,

Rich C.

A highly unsatisfied customer

Message 8 of 11 (524 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
Pordi

I can't disagree with you. When the unit works, it is a pleasure to drive around traffic delays.

HOWEVER, the unit does not connect to the live services reliably, I woud says the live services only work 25% of the time. As for the random freezes, lockups and reboots I also am experiencing these issues from day 1.

I have filed > 5 tickets in 4 months of ownership and the support folks at TOMTOM are incapable of resolving the issues. They finally decided to RMA the unit, but they will not cross ship one. I waited 1 hour to speak with a supervisor who I believe was a janitor. TOMTOM's customer service is a COMPLETE JOKE. I am so sorry I spent $300 for this piece of JUNK 

Spoiler
DONT BUY FROM TOMTOM, THEY ONLY WANT TO RIP YOU OFF BY TAKING YOUR MONEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Message 9 of 11 (447 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
Lorpam

I have to say the same thing as the rest of the forum, very unreliable product.

When I need it, I cannot depend on it. I cannot download the latest update, it tells me there is a latest map, When i hook up to computer, it says it is finished, but the install is waiting on the computer to install. My unit has to be rebooted everytime i turn it on. Right now my key pad is frozen, it will not accept the touch of the screen. The sales rep put me on to Tom Tom over the Garmin, I just did not do my homework, checking the forum now, would have kept me away from this product. What an experience with my first GPS.

If Tom Tom would like to contact me, I welcome it, all I want is my unit to be dependable and work the way it is meant too.

Message 10 of 11 (417 Views)
Please use plain text.