Apprentice Explorer
Joekor

Connect device not linked to this account

Anyone can help me to solve this error message "Connect device not linked to this account" when I try to login to my tomtom go 2505 account. Once I click the button for "link the connect device to this account". It will come up a red box with this message inside"The connected device cannot linked to this account. Please try again later". And my GPS shows a message said "Something has gone wrong". So what can I do?

Message 1 of 24 (6,957 Views)
Please use plain text.
Exalted Navigator
dazza24

Re: Connect device not linked to this account

hi just a thought ,is your 2505 a replacement for an older model .if so you can only register one device per account.easy to get around just set up a new account you dont have to use a valid email address,you can just make one up

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1st go live 1000 (dead)
second go live 1000 (dead)
current go live 550 alive and doing what the 1xxx/2xxx/ vias should be doing
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 2 of 24 (6,951 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
phlash

Dazza24 - why doesn't a message pop up explaining this when you attempt to link another device?  Surely this would be more customer friendly????  Also, why isn't there an option to delink the device and replace with a new one.  Expecting clients to make up email addresses is rediculous - what if these get forgotten???  Why not design a system that is customer friendly and works for the customer rather than is convenient to you???  I'm sorry, but Tom Tom is far behind the curve - great devices but your systems are shocking.....

Message 3 of 24 (6,937 Views)
Please use plain text.
Exalted Navigator
dazza24

hi phlash,i couldnt agree more ,tomtom home is not very user friendly,and theres very  little that is user freindly about there service either.but overall the units arent that bad when they work.im afraid thats something we have to learn to put up with whether we like it or not.i get the impression you think i work for tomtom at the end of your message im afraid not the advisor title is for when the users of this site have tried to help other users i am bye no means an expert but am just trying to help whio i can .there are more on this site who can help you with your questions better than i can.believe me you are not alone re - cheesed off with tomtom    good luck

1st go live 1000 (dead)
Message 4 of 24 (6,919 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
phlash

Dazza - sorry - I did indeed think you worked for Tom Tom since you were listed as an advisor!!!  Hope you didn't mind my little rant, even though it was obviously misdirected ;-)  Lets hope Tom Tom start to take on board some of the comments and make some changes - they will get a lot of valuable feedback from knowledgable users on here.  Lets hope they channel it and make best use of it!

Message 5 of 24 (6,913 Views)
Please use plain text.
Exalted Navigator
dazza24

hi  didnt mind the rant one bit,i see from another of your posts your a 1000 user (or non user) so i think youve got every right to be annoyed,i was going to upgrade to one but now no chance .tom tom need to listen to there customers and get it sorted now.i personaly would of used the dam thing to get to there hq and stuck it where they will never get a gps signal.good luck

1st go live 1000 (dead)
Message 6 of 24 (6,909 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
eddreview

I have had three new TomTom devices that require using MyTomTom to receive software updates and activate Lifetime Map Updates.  It is truly aggravating to purchase a new product and it say, "Something has gone [horribly] wrong with your navigation device.  Call Customer Support."  

I also had a problem with a device not connecting to my TomTom account.  A message, "The connected device cannot be linked to this account. Please try again later."  No matter how many times, or how later you try, it will not connect to that account.  The reason is because there is a device already connected to that account.  

The solution to connecting your navigation device to MyTomTom, your TomTom account, receiving software updates, and activating Lifetimes Map Updates is to create a new TomTom account—a TomTom account that is not associated with any TomTom device.  This can be a valid or invalid email address.  It may be easier to remember a valid email address because you may be asked to log in occasionally.

Message 7 of 24 (6,794 Views)
Please use plain text.
Sovereign Trailblazer
sodtom

I suppose that this kind of "solution" can't be the correct one! At least in case of replacement device and when you have bought some additional stuff / services which are also linked to this same account! Creating a new account will throw away these too.

In my case the TT web service informs that the linking has been successfully done, BUT what ever I'm doing in the web site with this account does activate the "not linked" notice and process over and over again - great function and implementation! The service is doing some updates (or is trying) to the device too.

Seems that nothing is working as they should. I would assume that TT people will have the tools to fix this kind of device definitions in their system.

TomTom Go LIVE 1005 Europe
(3rd device)
App: 12.055.1124410.74
Map: 'Europe' v905.4753
MyTomTom: 3.2.0.906
Message 8 of 24 (6,424 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
angusglover

I am also having this issue. I have created a new account but it still does not work. This is pathetic and I will never buy another tom tom.

Can anyone advise how to get this working as I have updates to install?

Message 9 of 24 (5,737 Views)
Please use plain text.
YamFazMan

Hi,

Copied and pasted from user Lars post

Your device won't be recognized as a removable drive but as a network.

As there are some issues existing linked to the MyTomTom application. I've added some steps below solving some troubles that may appear.

There are a few things that should be done regardless whether you encounter any troubles (in bold) and some that are for troubleshooting.

1. Set either Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome as default browser. I'm not sure about Safari but IE seems to be causing troubles sometimes so it might be that Safari works well.

Make sure you've got the latest version of the MyTomTom application installed on your computer.

1. Download and install the MyTomTom application: http://www.tomtom.com/getstarted
  2. Make sure the MyTomTom application is allowed to fully access the internet and isn't blocked by any antivirus or firewall software.
  3. Change the port settings of your MyTomTom application from port 4000 to i.e. 4001 or 5000.
  4. I also recommend changing your preferences that future data gets downloaded first without the need of having the device connected to your computer. This is done by checking that large data gets cached as well.
  5. Connect your device to your computer, go to your network connections and set the network symbolizing your device as trusted network. A trusted network is called home network in some operating systems.
  6. Open the MyTomTom application, log in using your account and link your device to that account. Keep in mind that you'll need a separate account with a different e-mail-address for each device.
  7. Always install application updates first without any other updates. After having installed all application updates install the other updates.
  8. Install every update as a single update and restart your device after each successful installation before starting the next update.

10. Always plug your device in a USB port directly on your computer (preferably on the back) and not in any USB hub.

11. Make sure neither the device nor the computer enters any kind of power saving modus during the installation process.

12. Clear the cache of both the MyTomTom application and the browser and try again.

13. Try another USB cable to check if it is a cable issue.

14. Make sure you've got enough memory capacity left on the hard drive where the map is being cached (at least 8GB recommended).

15. Make sure you've got the latest version of the Adobe flash player installed.

16. Make sure that flash player and browser are of the same software type (32bit or 64bit)

17. Use a wired internet connection instead of a wireless connection if possible.

Lars

Also Windows XP Need dot net 3.5 to run Mytomtom :-

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21

ATB YFM

Help others identify useful content :-

- If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Kudos button.
- If someone answered your question? Click Accept as Solution.
Also have you tried clicking on the Suport Button.PNG button at the top of the forum page ??? 
World phone numbers to contact Customer support :- Phone-numbers.
Other ways to contact TomTom Support :- How-to-Contact-support.

Message 10 of 24 (5,734 Views)
Please use plain text.