Master Traveler
Puzzled-newbie

Battery indicator on TomTom Start 25

I recently bought a Start 25 and also a plug for charging it in a power point.   I cannot see an indicator that shows whether it needs charging.   The only thing is a black line at the bottom with a little white bit at one end.   I charged in a power point for over 2 hours and the line didn't change.   Where should I be looking?

Message 1 of 32 (8,155 Views)
Please use plain text.
Lupus1
Topics: 21
Kudos: 1,595
Solutions: 320

Re: Battery indicator on TomTom Start 25

Hi,

you'll only have a status of the remaining charge of your device's battery while not having it connected to a power source. Then you'll find a small battery symbol in the left bottom corner of your device's display. It'll show different colours.

• green - full or nearly full
  • orange - about half full
  • red - nearly empty
  • white - empty, needs immediately being charged

Still the symbol shows the same symptoms as that on mobile phones. It'll stay in the green area for a long time and then show a rapid decreasing of the remaining charge.

Usually the device is completely charged latest after having left it charging for 4 hours after it had been completely discharged. Still I recommend never completely discharging the battery as that'll damage it as it is a Li-ion battery. Therefore it won't suffer from the memory effect.

There is no indication as to what stage the device is already charged when it is connected to an external power supply.

Regards

Lars.

TT XL•S LIVE IQ Routes Edition (Text-to-Speech)
map/Europe_North 875.3613
TT Start 60
map/Europe 910.4964
TT GO 6000
map/Europe 926.5515

TT Runner Cardio watch

TT Home 2.9.7.3256
MyDrive Connect 3.3.0.1317
MySports Connect 1.3.9
Win8 64bit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm no TT employee but just a customer trying to help
Message 2 of 32 (8,152 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Traveler
Puzzled-newbie

Thanks Lupus1.   I tried to turn on the satnav to check, but now it won't turn on.   I then plugged it into a power point, but it still won't turn on.   I had successfully turned it on earlier, but hadn't fiddled with it, just looked at it and then turned it off again.   Any ideas?

Message 3 of 32 (8,142 Views)
Please use plain text.
Lupus1
Topics: 21
Kudos: 1,595
Solutions: 320

Hi,

please try if charging the device via the USB port of your computer works. Sometimes charging through a wall plug doesn't work. You'll need at least 5V@0.5amp. Better is a charger delivering 5V@1amp.

If it doesn't get charged and you cannot turn it on even after charging it for some time via the computer's USB port I suppose either the charging cable or the USB port on your device is broken.

Regards
Lars.

TT XL•S LIVE IQ Routes Edition (Text-to-Speech)
map/Europe_North 875.3613
TT Start 60
map/Europe 910.4964
TT GO 6000
map/Europe 926.5515

TT Runner Cardio watch

TT Home 2.9.7.3256
MyDrive Connect 3.3.0.1317
MySports Connect 1.3.9
Win8 64bit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm no TT employee but just a customer trying to help
Message 4 of 32 (8,136 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Traveler
Puzzled-newbie

Thanks for the advice Lars.   I have now plugged it into my computer and will check it in five hours - if working it should be charged by then!.

Sue

Message 5 of 32 (8,122 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Traveler
Puzzled-newbie

Hi Lars

My computer says that the satnav is not connected, so I assume the charging cable is not working and that probably means my satnav is flat.   I will try it in the car via the car cable and the cigarette lighter, but my journeys are mostly very short,   However, it may show me whether it is the cable or not.

Thanks for your advice.   I'm going on holiday on Saturday and the satnav would probably have conked out (gone flat) near the start of the journey.

Sue

Message 6 of 32 (8,117 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
ranny2

Does my Start 20 require charging and if it does where is the charge capacity indicator ?

Message 7 of 32 (7,053 Views)
Please use plain text.
Sovereign Trailblazer
eddie12

[ Edited ]

@ ranny2 - Have a look at Lupus 1's reply at the beginning of this post.

Message 8 of 32 (7,044 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
janeintoronto

I cannot find the battery indicator as you describe above, unconnected or connected to power source. I have a Start 4ET03. Do you have any other ideas? I really need to be able to monitor battery charge as my car outlet does not work, and I charge the TomTom at home.  I did see an indicator for a minute while it was charging from a wall socket, but now I can't find it again. Also, the charging indicator kept indicating that it was charging after 12 hours, which I suspect is not true. Yes? No?

Message 9 of 32 (4,014 Views)
Please use plain text.
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

What model exactly do you have? See here to identify:

http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9521/c/2355

The older models would only show a small battery icon in the driving view. Green for fully or almost fully charged. Changed to amber when about 50% full and red for <20% (or thereabouts).

Yes, it's normal to see 'charging' even if the unit is fully charged after many hours connected to a computer or AC charger.

You'll not see a 'fully charged' message.

-------------------------------------------
I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. .....I am not a TomTom employee.
Message 10 of 32 (4,009 Views)
Please use plain text.