09-04-2012 09:45 AM - edited 09-04-2012 09:58 AM
First post, so go easy on me please.
I live in Australia, and was recently on a trip in Tasmania (I live in Western Australia). While on my trip, my TomTom stopped receiving the LIVE services (and I understand that was an issue with the data center and is still being worked on).
I also received the message regarding the "mandatory update." So when I got home, I connected the unit to my computer like I had done a few times before, but received the "Something Has Gone Wrong With Your Navigation Device." Naturally, the navigation device has no idea of what's going on, either, and it's referring me to my computer. MyTomTom tells me to contact customer care, which I haven't yet done as it's Easter Monday here in Australia.
I've read a few threads and I've done the usual troubleshooting. Here's what I've done:
Factory reset on device
Changed Internet Ports
The unit connects fine. In fact, the website recognizes there is a 1005 connected to my computer and [correctly] tells me there is an update needed. But when I log in, using the account I used when I registered this device a few months ago (and this is the only device I've ever owned), that message goes away and the website tells me I'm, up-to-date, despite the unit re-sending the message that a mandatory update is available. So the update is downloaded via MyTomTom in about 45 seconds and while it's trying to send the update to the unit, that's when I get the message "something has gone wrong."
Anyone care to take a stab at what's wrong? I'm on a Win7 machine, using Firefox 11. I was using the previous version of FireFox until about 30 minutes ago and received the same error message with that older version. I used that older version when I originally received and registered (and previously updated) the unit... so it's not a browser problem.
Please help, if you're able. Thank you!
23-04-2012 06:32 AM
I've contacted Customer Care.
I spent an hour the first time with Tier I support. We tried several times, on two different computers (notebook and desktop), using wired and wireless connections, with different browsers, all with no joy.
My problem was "escalated" to Tier II support at the end of that call, and there it has sat for over 15 days with nothing more than a suggestion from them that I try closing and reopening the My TomTom app, which was one of the first things I did with Tier I support.
Thus far, Tier I has been infinitely more helpful than Tier II. And believe it or not, TomTom, I have better things to do with my time than wait on hold for 20+ minutes EVERY TIME I CALL YOU (which has been 3 times now, and I'm waiting for a 4th call to be answered now).
My device recognizes being connected to a computer, and tells me not to disconnect it. The progress meter immediately shows 100% and then tells me there is something wrong.
MyTomTom.com recognizes the connection, but thinks my unit is fully up-to-date, which I know it's not. And then the app pops up in my system tray telling me there are updates available. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing, and running in compatibility mode.
At this point, my rather expensive Christmas gift is completely useless, and Support is not helping though it's clearly under warranty. My wife is very upset that she gave me what has turned out to be a paper weight. My disappointment is more with TomTom than anything else - I should have asked for a Garmin.
23-04-2012 08:34 AM
I Have now tried to contact customer support for two weeks ,no one and I mean no one answers a phone ,I was advised by my Tom Tom to down load a mandatory update this I have done however I have lost my Live traffic info ,I have e mailed Tom Tom and still no response
03-07-2012 07:10 PM - last edited on 06-07-2012 12:09 PM by Mike
this exact same thing happened to me with my GPS after trying to install the mandatory update. There is no fix. Their update crashed my GPS and rendered it useless. They forced me to send it to one of their local companies for me to be fixed, i did that, and i never got my GPS back from this company.
This was over a month ago and the company Tom Tom told me to send it to will not respond to me, and Tom Tom basically blames the company for loosing my GPS. And mind all of you, I have tracking info and everything to cover my butt, and still it is an uphill battle.
Tom Tom also blamed my computer when the update wiped my GPS out, told me to do an update on another computer, did the update on my work computer and it still had no maps found error along with something went wrong error.
I spent hundreds of dollars on this GPS, and got a total of one month use out of it before I was told I had to update my system.
As you can tell by this forum, TOM TOM ownes no responsibility for their inferior products and owns no responsibility for ANYTHING.
24-07-2012 04:22 PM
Hi, I had exaclty the same problem, I went through 2 x Tomtom Go Live 1005.
I done everything suggested nothing worked.
Finally I created a new Tomtom account and yes hey presto all updating and working fine.
Hope this helps