TomTom Employee
maas

Re: New Go 7000 Caravan & motorhome

Hi Landyman,

My bad. Items On Device is in the Manage My Go menu.

Regarding your car icon.

A custom icon only shows in 3D view. Unfortunately, the birds eye view will only show a default arrow that cannot be changed.

If you like, you can change your map colours to suit you better in Change Preferences.

Regarding the Caravan and Motorhome edition.
This was designed this way by TomTom. It was made as a heavy goods vehicle device. The Caravan and Motorhome POIs were added after manufacture by retailers, and rebranded (like when you buy a new computer, and the store puts on a lot of different software before sale). If you have issues with them not working, call your point of purchase, and they can send you the POI details.

To set your dimen sions for a motorhome, the best solution would be to select 'Truck', and enter the dimensions of your vehicle with the motorhome attached.

Kind regards,

Maas

I work for TomTom but the views expressed here are my own.
Message 11 of 16 (557 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
Landyman

maas wrote:
Regarding the Caravan and Motorhome edition.

This was designed this way by TomTom. It was made as a heavy goods vehicle device. The Caravan and Motorhome POIs were added after manufacture by retailers, and rebranded (like when you buy a new computer, and the store puts on a lot of different software before sale). If you have issues with them not working, call your point of purchase, and they can send you the POI details.

To set your dimen sions for a motorhome, the best solution would be to select 'Truck', and enter the dimensions of your vehicle with the motorhome attached.

Forgetting the less important problems for the moment, this is how I read your reply:-

TomTom have designed a device for use by commercial heavy goods vehicles.  It was not designed for use with a motorhome (and caravans, but I no longer use them).

Retailers have added POIs for use my motorhomers, but not changed the firmware from the TomTom standard 'Truck' version.

Trucks are not allowed to use roads displaying the red ring with a black truck in the centre.  However motorhomes are not restricted.

Therefore to use the low height routing feature, the device has to be set for a truck.  This prohibits the motorhomer from using roads that would be used in routing if the device was set for a car.

My motorhome was designed to have a maximum width of 2m/6' 6", so that I could use narrow roads.  It's also a similar length to a Volvo estate car.  But it is taller than most standard motorhomes.

The TomTom firmware was designed to cater for all widths, all lengths and all heights of trucks, but not motorhomes.

Thanks for your candid comments Mass.

Message 12 of 16 (553 Views)
Please use plain text.
TomTom Employee
maas

Hi Landyman,

You are right in your description.

It is unfortunate.

You can select 'Truck' anyway. At least you can rest assured that you won't be taken down inappropriate roads. Keep in mind that you will sometimes avoid roads a motorohome could legally drive down though.

I think that is probably the best option (provided you aren't in a hurry for the absolute fastest route).

Kind regards,

Maas 

Message 13 of 16 (536 Views)
Please use plain text.
Supreme Navigator
Jimlad

lmfao Maas.. This is rubbish, why did they assume the only people that need height restrictions or speed restrictions drive trucks? Surely they must realize that trucks are restricted from many places that vans/campers/trailers can go?

This is yet more ridiculous decision making from on high..

**1005 user**
Message 14 of 16 (527 Views)
Please use plain text.
TomTom Employee
maas

Hi Jimlad,

Well, it wasn't that they decided 'No routes for caravans'.

More that they decided 'Make routes for trucks to go with WEBFLEET (http://business.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/webfleet/highlights/).

That is the primary focus of the truck maps. The caravan POIs were made by other companies. Unfortunately, other 3rd party software doesn't always sync 100%.

Kind regards,

Maas 

Message 15 of 16 (524 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
protruck

Hi

I have been following this thread with interest. I use a Pro truck 7100 ( hence handle ) for both Artic use and extended European tours with large motorhome. I have just returned from 2 months Spain & Portugal. The truck version has loads of Camp sites (but not all) in it's POIs. A good source of many more sites is the ACSI Guide on DVD this has GPS location for each site. I have created my own POI category and input those that I want that are missing from the Tomtom database.  Re weight restrictions etc if a road has 3.5 Tonne limit this applies to all vehicles irrespective of type ie motorhomes as well as trucks.

Message 16 of 16 (193 Views)
Please use plain text.