Novice Explorer
rgallau

Adding memory to the GO LIVE 820

I have a GO LIVE 820 that I bought a couple of weeks ago in Paris, France. Now I am back in the USA so I purchased the maps for the US. I bought a 4 gig SD Micro card to hold the new map but the receiver does not seem to recognize the added memory and I had to replace the Europe map set with the US map set, i.e.. there is not enough memory to hold both map sets. This is a royal pain! How do I get the 820 to recognize the added memory card?

Message 1 of 46 (4,982 Views)
Please use plain text.
Stefan
Kudos: 1,039
Solutions: 222

Re: Adding memory to the GO LIVE 820

Good evening

A new navigator version has yet to be released to activate the usage of using the SD card slot. A new navigator version should be coming soon, hopefully allowing the SD card slot usage. For more information, read the following topic:

http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/TomTom-GO-800-1000-2000-Via/Navcore-11-go-live-1005/td-p/109179/jum...

TomTom Latest News - YouTube <> TomTom KeyNote Presentation 2013 - YouTube

Quick Travel Buttons

Navigation System - TomTom GO 500 (2013)
Driving with TomTom ~ Service and Comfort is our secret ~

NavKit

LifeTime Traffic (Smartphone)
LifeTime Maps (Europe)

MyDrive Connect Support Application
TomTom Discussions - User Agreement

Signature originally created by Stefan

Message 2 of 46 (4,979 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
rgallau

I think documenting a memory card slot in the hardware and then making no mention of the fact that it does not work is inexcusable. The only other time that I saw something like this is with my DVR which has all kinds of non-functional ports. I can excuse the DVR in that one manufacturer makes the box for a variety of markets and it is up to the market to decide what features to offer when they write their own code.

Stefan, you say that a new navigator version should be coming soon. What is "soon" and how often do new versions come out in general?

Message 3 of 46 (4,962 Views)
Please use plain text.
Stefan
Kudos: 1,039
Solutions: 222

rgallau wrote:

I think documenting a memory card slot in the hardware and then making no mention of the fact that it does not work is inexcusable. The only other time that I saw something like this is with my DVR which has all kinds of non-functional ports. I can excuse the DVR in that one manufacturer makes the box for a variety of markets and it is up to the market to decide what features to offer when they write their own code.

Stefan, you say that a new navigator version should be coming soon. What is "soon" and how often do new versions come out in general?

Source http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/TomTom-GO-800-1000-2000-Via/Replaced-old-Tom-Tom-one-with-a-new-Tom...

All credit goes to zSolt

Hi there,

Had the very same problem, but with the Europe map. In the UK they ship only the FT serials, with 2GB memory only. They've changed the specs on their website already. It was "promised" that the new update will be at the end of November and that will activate the SD slot. Meanwhile the map might be linked to your account, but ever since there is not enough space, it won't download just yet.

Regards,

Zsolt

New versions

Since some of the remaining functions aren't yet released, TomTom releases newer navigator versions to add the all the promised functions. I'm not aware how many navigator updates are planned for the newer devices or when these updates will be released. In my opinion TomTom releases the new updates when they are ready and thoroughly tested before being released to the community.

TomTom Latest News - YouTube <> TomTom KeyNote Presentation 2013 - YouTube

Quick Travel Buttons

Navigation System - TomTom GO 500 (2013)
Driving with TomTom ~ Service and Comfort is our secret ~

NavKit

LifeTime Traffic (Smartphone)
LifeTime Maps (Europe)

MyDrive Connect Support Application
TomTom Discussions - User Agreement

Signature originally created by Stefan

Message 4 of 46 (4,949 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt
Kudos: 2,132
Solutions: 512

Well...we will see to that promised date. Hope it is going to happen, but obviously can't confirm as it was just told via phone. In writing the script was "soon".

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Report map errors (MSR Tool - link)
Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE
How to contact TomTom's Customer Services (link)
TomTom's Customer Services numbers (thx Niall) (link)
How to soft reset your device (link)

I am NOT a TomTom employee, just a user like others.
Message 5 of 46 (4,946 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
Lotty

The specification for Go Live 825 on Tomtom home page say

• SD Slot         Yes*
  • Will be enabled via Software Update in Summer 2011

This is false information. 

Message 6 of 46 (4,913 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt
Kudos: 2,132
Solutions: 512

If there was anything that I learnt about Tomtom in the last few weeks was that never ever believe what their official site says... I am pretty sure that they could do better. In case there is not enough ppl to properly update the web site, please send me an application form...

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Report map errors (MSR Tool - link)
Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE
How to contact TomTom's Customer Services (link)
TomTom's Customer Services numbers (thx Niall) (link)
How to soft reset your device (link)

I am NOT a TomTom employee, just a user like others.
Message 7 of 46 (4,903 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
bigeyan1

When are TomTom intending to switch the SD card reader on???

I've bought a US map for a holiday next year after an email from TomTom You know my device,you know the issue with the US map being too large yet I've been allowed to purchase it! So I assumed that the SD card slot must  have been activated in the last update - bought an 8Gig micro SD and tried to install via the mytomtom, No joy come on TomTom what's going on here?????

Message 8 of 46 (4,736 Views)
Please use plain text.
Lupus1
Topics: 16
Kudos: 1,409
Solutions: 278

Hi bigeyan,

I don't beleive that the US map is too large for such a new device as the device offers 4GB internal memory as far as I know. You'll only have to remove the currently installed map from your device and install the US map to the device. After returning from your journey you just need to reverse this process by uninstalling the US map and reinstalling the map you've installed at the moment.

Regards

Lars.

TT XL•S LIVE IQ Routes Edition (Text-to-Speech)
map/Europe_North 875.3613
TT Start 60
map/Europe 910.4964
TT GO 6000
map/Europe 926.5515

TT Home 2.9.7.3256
MyDrive Connect 3.3.0.1317
Win8 64bit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm no TT employee but just a customer trying to help
Message 9 of 46 (4,732 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
bigeyan1

Hi Lupus when in Mytomtom under the device "manage content" it gives the size of currently installed map and free space 

The total space is "2Gig" !!! US map 2.4 gig so it's the only way to fit said map by use of external memory :-( I'm really disappointed I have bought 2 other TomTom Sat navs my original one has a map of the US and I wanted the new look when leaving Motorways/freeways once again I ask when will TomTom enable my SD slot??????? 

Message 10 of 46 (4,728 Views)
Please use plain text.