Novice Explorer
stuigi

XNV 660BT compass display

[ Edited ]

I just installed this system and I cannot find a way to show a compass on the screen.  This is a navigation device, how do I tell which direction I am traveling?  Most devices have 2 arrows 180 degrees apart, one being red showing north.

Message 1 of 8 (1,365 Views)
Please use plain text.
Staff
Zoë

Re: XNV 660BT compass display

Hi stuigi,

I'm afraid that the Sony XNV 660 BT device does not have a built in compass.

I am sorry for the inconvenience!

Please let us know if you have other questions.

Thanks,

Zoe

Message 2 of 8 (1,358 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
stuigi

This is a NAVIGATION device.  It SHOULD/NEEDS a compass.  This is not only an expected feature but a necessary one.  I want TomTom to get me a return authorization for this product.  It was sold under misleading pretenses.  To navigate, one needs to know the direction that they are travelling.  Total absurdity.

Message 3 of 8 (1,353 Views)
Please use plain text.
Staff
Zoë

Hi stuigi,

As the TomTom software uses a Global Positioning System (GPS) and not the Earth's magnetic field, it doesn't actually need a compass built in for it to work correctly. It uses satellites that calculate your location by pinging a signal between you and them.

For detailed information on how GPS works, you can have a look here:

http://www.tomtom.com/3250 

I'm sorry if you're not happy with the device. If you'd like to return it you'll need to speak to your retailer, as it would be up to them to decide if they can return it or not.

Thanks,

Zoe

Message 4 of 8 (1,345 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Traveler
kcx

I assumed the question was why doesn't the map show which direction is north, which doesn't require a compass. I set the map to not rotate. That way I know north is at the top of the screen. If it can rotate the map, it should be able to rotate a little red arrow pointing north. kcx
Message 5 of 8 (1,309 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
back_9

My old TomTom One has a compass.......
Message 6 of 8 (1,254 Views)
Please use plain text.
Renowned Trailblazer
MrPete

[ Edited ]

Zoe,

The question was not relating to whether the TomTom requires a compass to operate properly.

The question was not asked by a TomTom. It was asked by a human. People require context in order to drive properly and safely. When driving in an unfamiliar place, we need more than street names... we need orientation.

A compass provides orientation for context.

Please seriously consider adding a simple optional "north marker" to the map screen. While you are at it, a simple optional scale indicator would also be a huge benefit for the same reason!

XNV-660BT owner
Message 7 of 8 (1,233 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
stuigi

Thank you Mr. Pete for so eloquently stating what I was trying to convey.  It has to be a simple addition that can be updated on a download as other TomToms already have this feature. 

Another annoying feature that this unit does not have that other TomToms do have is a simple beep to let you know that a new direction is coming up while on the phone.  I have missed many a turn due to the lack of this feature.  In my opinion, it is a safety feature.  Without it, the driver has to constantly take his eyes off the road to check the map.. Come on TomTom.  update this software.  Give the user the option to use these features or not.

Message 8 of 8 (1,225 Views)
Please use plain text.