Neophyte Traveler
Timmmmaaahh

Seat Ibiza 2009 - Cradle Compatibility

(you may ignore all the chitchat, my question is in bold ;-) )

Hi! I'm new here so I hope I'm in the right section. I searched for "Ibiza" and "Cradle" but couldn't find anything.

So, in 2009 I bought a new Seat Ibiza with a built in cradle for TomTom devices and got a free TomTom One with the car. That loyal buddy has guided me on many roads for the past 4 years but I sense she's getting ready to retire. So, I want to purchase a new device. Is the cradle (fitted on the centre of the dashboard), from back in 2009, still compatible with all current TomTom devices? I live in Belgium (if that matters).

This is what the cradle looks like:

Though the plug looks more like this (the above picture seems to contain a different one):

And - this might be the wrong question to pose here - are there options to install a GPS device of another brand with the aid of an adapter? Not that I would go for another brand per sé, TomTom has never let me down before, but I'd like to keep my options open :-)

Thank you for reading and have a lovely day!

Message 1 of 5 (1,524 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt
Kudos: 2,393
Solutions: 554

Re: Seat Ibiza 2009 - Cradle Compatibility

The current devices use micro USB, not mini USB as the previous models. Unless they made a new accessory, I doubt you will be able to use the new models in that cradle.

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Report map errors (MSR Tool - link)
Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE
How to contact TomTom's Customer Services (link)
TomTom's Customer Services numbers (thx Niall) (link)
How to soft reset your device (link)

I am NOT a TomTom employee, just a user like others.
Message 2 of 5 (1,504 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
Timmmmaaahh

Thank you for your quick reply.

That's useful information. But then I hope there is another plug that fits this socket/cradle/dock. Is the micro USB still located underneith the device, facing downwards?

I can't seem to find anything that looks even remotely like what I need in the products section of this website.

Message 3 of 5 (1,499 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt
Kudos: 2,393
Solutions: 554

On the newest models it is facing down (on the 500 and 600). The other models have it on the back, so those wouldn't fit either.

Best if you want to use the same cradle if you take it to the shop and trying to get one of the older NAV2 devices (but a new one). You need to check the shape and location of the USB plug and the shape of the back that slides in (and the size of the device).

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Report map errors (MSR Tool - link)
Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE
How to contact TomTom's Customer Services (link)
TomTom's Customer Services numbers (thx Niall) (link)
How to soft reset your device (link)

I am NOT a TomTom employee, just a user like others.
Message 4 of 5 (1,496 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
Timmmmaaahh

Well, I guess I can take the plug with me to the store and let the salesperson find the right device for me. At least in that case, if it wouldn't fit, I can return it because it would be their mistake.

I could also call/mail my car dealer to check if they have a solution for me.

Thank you for your help! I will report back in either case :-)

Message 5 of 5 (1,491 Views)
Please use plain text.