Novice Explorer
LAKent

Real Time Street Traffic for Built-in System in a 2012 Mini Cooper

I have a 2012 Mini Cooper S Coupe. The Navigation information screen reads America/MIMI/Road Map North America MOVE/2011.

PROBLEM: It does not have any traffic updates for streets, only for highways.

I contacted Mimi support and they informed me that’s the way the system is designed. Well in all the years I’ve been using navigation assistance, it has giving me real time street traffic for major streets. I don’t see how it is acceptable not to do this. I am told the system is designed by TeleAtlas. In trying to locate them, I find they are TomTom, so here I am.

Is there any way to upgrade the system so I can get real time street traffic?

Message 1 of 4 (272 Views)
Please use plain text.
Exalted Navigator
Exalted Navigator
Kex

Re: Real Time Street Traffic for Built-in System in a 2012 Mini Cooper

I don't know the Mini Cooper system in particular, but the only real time street traffic in the United States today is TomTom HD Traffic, with a LIVE Services subscription ($60 per year) and a LIVE enabled TomTom (including a SIM card for AT&T, who are currently the data partner in the U.S.A.).

Other systems use only RDS-TMC, which is an FM signal and does only cover major roads in major metropolitan areas. TeleAtlas (now TomTom) may be providing the maps for your Mini navigation system, but the traffic is possibly from Total Traffic Network (also known as Clear Channel). This updates about every fifteen minutes.

http://totaltraffic.com/CoverageAreas/

The next question would be, if the system is TomTom based, does it include IQ Routes data or not? IQ Routes data allows the device to calculate estimated travel times on side streets based on historical data collected from users, including different historic travel speeds according to the day of the week or the time of day (week day, weekend; rush hour, daytime, night time ...). IQ Routes can make a big difference, as long as traffic is normal for the time of day and the day of the week. An unusual incident would only be identified by HD Traffic on a LIVE enabled TomTom.

______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ _____ ______ ______
TomTom XL 340S LIVE & XL 340TM (RDS-TMC) & GO LIVE 2535M - in daily L.A. Traffic
Message 2 of 4 (261 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
LAKent

Thanks much for the reply. Do you have any idea how to actually get in touch with some at TomTom who might be able to provide any insight? Mini does not have that knowledge.

Regards,

Kent

Message 3 of 4 (258 Views)
Please use plain text.
Exalted Navigator
Exalted Navigator
Kex

[ Edited ]

Kent, there are some moderators and support staff from TomTom watching this board, but mostly only moderators watching out for abuse on weekends. You can use the Support options from the links on your screen to contact TomTom by e-mail, however (or call them), but this is not likely to be a frequent topic and they may not give you a convincing answer!

http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/home/?Lid=4&locale=en_US/session/L3NpZC9xXzN4N1lQay9wdGEvMQ==

In any case, checking the miniusa.com website, I don't see any option to integrate satellite radio traffic with the Mini navigation system (which is probably what BMW and Mercedes-Benz offer as a traffic solution). I'm not sure how good satellite radio traffic is for secondary roads anyway, so you may be better off with what you have, especially if it does use IQ Routes (but we don't know that).

In answer to your question in another thread: without the built in SIM card of a LIVE enabled device, you will not be able to add LIVE Services HD Traffic to your Mini navigation system. My vehicle navigation system does not have integrated traffic at all, so I use my GO LIVE 2535M instead.

EDIT: Actually, upon investigation, it looks like Mercedes-Benz do indeed rely on satellite traffic, but BMW may be using something similar to what you have in your Mini.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/RTTI/Default.aspx

______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ _____ ______ ______
TomTom XL 340S LIVE & XL 340TM (RDS-TMC) & GO LIVE 2535M - in daily L.A. Traffic
Message 4 of 4 (247 Views)
Please use plain text.