Apprentice Explorer
Elliot

Re: FIrst Impression of Eclipse II on Subaru Forester

I would be interested in forming a group to put pressure on Subaru/Tom Tom to do something about this issue. I agree with all of the posts in this thread - the devise is useless. I would like mine to be uninstalled and replaced with a simple radio. I have a garmin GPS device I've been using instead of the Tom Tom anyway.

I've been to two dealers re: this issue. One was not helpful at all, the other spent hours trying to fix the problem. I do not have time to wait around at the dealer when it appears that there is not a solution to this problem.

Next steps?

Message 11 of 46 (1,619 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
Petethecat

I am interested in forming a group.   I will continue to pursue this a bit further on my own.  I will eventually ask the dealer to give me compensation for the non functioning of the device and will take legal action after that.   Be sure to document you contacts with everyone in terms of dates, times, etc as this will be valuable if we get to a legal case on the matter. .  It would probably be good to go to other sites to warn potential Subaru buyers about these problems.   Our individual complaints are probably not making many waves as I would figure TomTom is inured to them.  I am really disappointed in Subaru.  I really thought they were a better company than this.  TomTom's response is pathetic. 

Message 12 of 46 (1,616 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Explorer
Seattleite

We agree.   Count us in.    I think the right thing to do would be to collect the names of everyone who:

1)  Bught a Subaru with the Eclipse II and

2)  Believes the device is unuseable and

3)  Who can find no relief from the dealer

And then to write a letter to Subaru Corporate Headquarters and to TomTom Corporate Headquarters seeking relief.  

I'd be happy if they'd replace the detachable display unit with one that is useable.   But I think that owners should have an option of that, or getting their money back for the option, or having the unit removed and replaced with a radio and the difference in price.   (That way you can go out and buy a portable unit of your choice.) 

What do you think of that?

Message 13 of 46 (1,599 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
Petethecat

I agree entirely with your proposal.  We need to figure out how to get hold of others who are having this problem.

I was on the phone with a TomTom technical service last night again (this is the third time trying this after twice trying the chat on line technical support with absurd results which I have copied and retained) .     The tech rep actually went over all the written documentation and responses and told me that she had had the same complaint from others with this and other units ("This is the second call today about the same problem today!"--it was recorded).    She said that she had filed a concern with the technical leadership about the matter and that they would get back to me in 48 hours about what they are going to do about it.  I have no faith whatsoever that anything will happen, but I will report back here.

In the meantime, your options are exactly the right thing for us to ask for.   I am thinking one way to get the ball rolling is to approach a dealer and give them the ultimatum.   In some states, we have the right to return the car after getting them to fix it 3 times--I will check here in Maine.   I will move on it after I hear back from TomTom, but I am going on vacation today for a week, so it will have to wait.

Thanks for your throughtful proposal.

Message 14 of 46 (1,594 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
brundlefly

You may add owners of the 2011 Impreza Outback Sport model to the disappointed owners of the Eclipse II. I have had all the same issues you have been discussing plus the following:

1. USB device spontaneously lost folders of music

2. No capability to stream music through BLuetooth tho there are indications from Subaru this is supposed to be a feature

3. Silly little things like the "shuffle" feature of music is reset each time you turn on the vehicle in USB mode and songs restart from the beginning. I have cheap stereos in other vehicle that support these capabilities so why not this one?

4. Pedestrian navigation with tis device is almost useless as you have to be walking quickly for it to register movement. This makes it useless for things like geocaching.

I'd be very interested in participating in a group complaint.

Message 15 of 46 (1,573 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
Elliot

I'm in as well.

Issues:

1. Phone syncs but address book does not download (what's the use of handsfree if I have to pick up my phone and scroll through the contact list to make a call?)

2. Cannot connect ipod via Bluetooth

3. Screen glare is terrible even when manually tilting the device

4. Incorrect driving directions (!!!)

5. Ipod connection does not recognize ipod (it used to, but even then the parking brake had to be engaged, therefore passengers could not use the screen to choose music)

These are in addition to those that have already been listed.

I've been to 2 dealiers to get some of these issues resolved (in MI and NC). They keep telling me they are going to contact their regional person, but are still not able to solve these problems. I will try again this week in NC since my contact person there has been the most helpful (or willing to help) thus far.

I'm documenting my struggle with this and hope that collectively we can get this resolved. I'd be happy if they refunded my $$ and installed a stereo/CD/MP3 player and bluetooth through the steering wheel..

Message 16 of 46 (1,569 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
bobsinger

I agree. I've had all the same issues and have tried the same fixes. It's a pretty awful unit. I have a 2-3 year old Garmin Nuvii that works such much better. It's constantly losing settings, etc. Yesterday, my configured computer voice disappeared and I had to reinstall it from the CD. How does that happen? It drove me insane scrolling through the list of voices that I don't have installed looking for the one that disappeared, trying to reconfigure it. And what's with the voice navigation feature...has anyone got that working let alone enabled? 

I have no real hope that Subaru or TomTom will fix this situation, but I'd still be interested in pursuing it as part of a group effort. 

Message 17 of 46 (1,559 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
Petethecat

I am still working this issue.   The problerm is not that this unit is poorly designed (although it obviously is awful) it is that it does not function for its intended purpose.   My local Subaru dealer appears to be on my side on this matter and the Service Manager agrees that there is a serious problem here and has been trying to get someone at Subaru to pay attention.   The Subaru hot line and chat lines have been useless:  Twice they have said they would get back to me.  Once they acknowledged that this unit has a serious problem that they were hearing about--NO response after that.  I have sent along a complaint to Consumer Reports.  Here is what I intend to do:

Ultimatum to Subaru in order of preference:

1. Fix the thing so it gives accurate directions and elapsed times similar to Garmin, Google, and Mapquest dirrectsion or Tom Tom's other units.  (I believe this may be impossible, but i will give them the chance)

If not,

2. Replace my radio with something without the navigation and refund the retail price to me of the difference I paid for the car with this device. (I am guessing this is the probably the most likely outcome.

3. If #1 and #2 fail above, I will activate the "lemon law" in my state and return the car.   I like the car, but I am unwilling to be confronted by this awful, useless device each time I get in the car.

Seems like TomTom is having other financial problems according to the news today.  I am sensing we are dealing with a company that is hatching its own demise.

Message 18 of 46 (1,524 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
cwalker

I am the unproud owner of the original TomTom Eclipse.  That was a travesty from the start.  Everybody had problems with it.  See this thread http://www.gpsreview.net/tomtom-eclipse-avn2210p/ The newer generation is not new, and is no better.  Crutchfield stop selling them.

Message 19 of 46 (1,515 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Explorer
Seattleite

[ Edited ]

Our dealer too, seems to be concerned.   They're going to take the car for a day and work with the unit so that they understand the problem.   But I doubt there's anything they can do.   They said after they'd documented the problem that they'd see what Subaru would do about it.

At this point, we think we want them to take it out and give us the money we paid for the option.  Then we'll take it to a third party installer and have an aftermarket product installed that will work.  

If they don't resolve this to our satisfaction, I think the Lemon Law is the right way to go.   We paid a lot of money for a new car....  And this stinking TomTom runs the radio, the CD, the bluetooth and the Nav function.   It renders an entire portion of the car's funtionality useless.   We'll just return the car for our money, or get a replacement car from Subaru without the unit. 

I was also thinking that Better Business Bureau might be helpful here.  

Message 20 of 46 (1,509 Views)
Please use plain text.